Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Can't BA do Retro Livery?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:32 am

this is actually happening...

As part of its 100-year birthday, British Airways has today announced it will be painting a Boeing 747 in the much-admired design of its predecessor British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC).

The livery from the 1964 – 1974 BOAC era will adorn a B747, reg: G-BYGC. The aircraft will leave the paint shop in Dublin and arrive in to Heathrow on February 18, before entering service the following day. This coincides with the 50th anniversary of the first Boeing 747 flight only a few days earlier.

The BOAC 747 will be the first aircraft to receive a popular design from British Airways’ past with more details of further designs to be revealed in due course. Aircraft which receive the retro liveries will fly British Airways’ routes, proudly showcasing some of the popular designs as part of the airline’s centenary celebrations.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Don't tease..... There are certain of your peers on social media who have been v active cheerleaders for this..... :-)
It is happening.

"
As part of its 100-year birthday, British Airways has today announced it will be painting a Boeing 747 in the much-admired design of its predecessor British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC).

The livery from the 1964 – 1974 BOAC era will adorn a B747, reg: G-BYGC. The aircraft will leave the paint shop in Dublin and arrive in to Heathrow on February 18, before entering service the following day. This coincides with the 50th anniversary of the first Boeing 747 flight only a few days earlier.

The BOAC 747 will be the first aircraft to receive a popular design from British Airways’ past with more details of further designs to be revealed in due course. Aircraft which receive the retro liveries will fly British Airways’ routes, proudly showcasing some of the popular designs as part of the airline’s centenary celebrations.
"
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Boring point.

The paint that was used for the BOAC livery is no longer made.
Neither is the paint used for Concorde.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Boring point.

The paint that was used for the BOAC livery is no longer made.
Neither is the paint used for Concorde.
I'm sure that's not a problem with the computer colour match technique that's available today. Just hope to God they don't source it from here though. We've ended up with a multi coloured pink house due to problems with the machine at the paint shop.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
It is happening.

"

"
This is excellent news, because the paint will make the Club World seating that much more comfortable!
RoyalSwazi and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I stand to be stoned, but I really don’t give a <redected> about what colour they paint the bloody aeroplanes, or the frills on the tail. OK, there’s a bit of emotion about the Union Flag tail logo ... if you actually get to see at <airport>?

As with my cars, I’m not interested much about the outside ... it’s the INside where I spend my time. I would prefer BA to spend money on that aspect.
LBA_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Stop being such a grumpy old sod!!
Perhaps if they made Gold harder to get the inside would improve?
skipness1E and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Stop being such a grumpy old sod!!
Perhaps if they made Gold harder to get the inside would improve?
Getting Gold is HARD for an OAP on his own dime ... but 2018/19 is sorted and I have today almost cracked the 2019/20 renewal!! Just one more holiday to be added over next Winter.

And not wasting money on Paint Schemes for Spotters!! Spend THAT on the insides instead!
HIDDY and rapidex like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
They are spending money on the interior. They are capable of spending money on more than one thing at once. Interestingly, companies do tend to hire more than one person so that they can do multiple projects in parallel; it is quite smart really.
HIDDY, alex67500 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Getting Gold is HARD for an OAP on his own dime ... but 2018/19 is sorted and I have today almost cracked the 2019/20 renewal!! Just one more holiday to be added over next Winter.

And not wasting money on Paint Schemes for Spotters!! Spend THAT on the insides instead!
Uh, I’m pretty sure we are spending money on the interiors aren’t we? New Club seat? Refurb of the 777s? Returb of the Mid Js? In addition to significant catering improvements recently or soon to come in CE, CW, WT+ and WT? With the same in First? Investment in onboard WiFi? New routes this year?
I think it’s difficult to criticise the retro liveries for the anniversary. As far as I’m concerned it’s a pretty decent way of celebrating, which isn’t coming at the expense of anything else. We can let them have this one I think.
HIDDY, T8191, alex67500 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
The BOAC one is G-BYGC which is due for a repaint anyway. Now given the immensely positive PR all over social today and the brand recognition that helps with, it’s a big positive.
One thing British people do love, is a good old moan....
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by MFCC

Uh, I’m pretty sure we are spending money on the interiors aren’t we? New Club seat? Refurb of the 777s? Returb of the Mid Js? In addition to significant catering improvements recently or soon to come in CE, CW, WT+ and WT? With the same in First? Investment in onboard WiFi? New routes this year?
I think it’s difficult to criticise the retro liveries for the anniversary. As far as I’m concerned it’s a pretty decent way of celebrating, which isn’t coming at the expense of anything else. We can let them have this one I think.
I very much suspect they’ll do ones that need a repaint anyway and then leave it on until retirement/ next repaint. So nothing lost really
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

I very much suspect they’ll do ones that need a repaint anyway and then leave it on until retirement/ next repaint. So nothing lost really
Well that's how paint jobs work!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: QF WP
I do love a retro livery. However all this talk of 100 years is annoying me. At best it’s tenuous, at worst it’s just incorrect
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by T8191
I stand to be stoned....
I just read that as “I tend to be stoned” and did a shocked double-take.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.