Linking BA and Comair bookings

Old Nov 26, 2016, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Linking BA and Comair bookings

I am planning to use Avios to upgrade from PE to CW London-Jo'burg and back. I then need to book a flight to Vic Falls and back from Windhoek in Economy. Since the latter would be a separate booking, how do I go about linking the two so that my bags go straight through and I am taken care of if there are any delays? Is that possible? Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 5:18 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
It is not possible. For protection it needs to be booked on one ticket.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Is that so? I thought I read somewhere that it is possible to make separate bookings online and then make a phone call to link the PNRs, or whatever they care called. Otherwise, I assume it can be done a single booking by phone, providing there is upgrade availability on the long-haul sectors?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:16 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
"Linking" bookings does not mean they will be protected, only being on one ticket does.

Yes you should be able to call BA to book this on one ticket and upgrade the longhaul.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by nux
"Linking" bookings does not mean they will be protected, only being on one ticket does.
Indeed by the way it's the same in BA mainline-BA mainline bookings. If anything op is more likely to get through checked by comair (without any need to link anything)
Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by londinense
Is that so? I thought I read somewhere that it is possible to make separate bookings online and then make a phone call to link the PNRs, or whatever they care called. Otherwise, I assume it can be done a single booking by phone, providing there is upgrade availability on the long-haul sectors?
A link is simply a note in the record it does not suddenly give you the same protection as though you bought your flights it as a single ticket.

it relies on someone reading the notes in the pnr which a staffer would only do if they had need to look. They aren't checking everyone's pnr to read any notes.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Just a follow-upon this:
I have two separate bookings, so arrive in Jo'burg in the early morning and have 4 hours to connect to the Comair flight to Vic Falls. When I check in in London will I be able to have my bag checked all the way through? If so, do I need to contact BA in advance to arrange this?
Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by londinense
Just a follow-upon this:
I have two separate bookings, so arrive in Jo'burg in the early morning and have 4 hours to connect to the Comair flight to Vic Falls. When I check in in London will I be able to have my bag checked all the way through? If so, do I need to contact BA in advance to arrange this?
Thanks.
BA do not check through luggage on to a separate ticket even if the flight on the other ticket is on BA tpo.

More detail here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-tickets.html
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: *A
You should have no problem picking up bags and rechecking them in that 4 hour timeframe. Comair check in is in the domestic terminal and then you'll have to walk back over to the international gates. I have never tried, but it is possible you could recheck bags immediately after Customs.
If you're trying to avoid the need to get a South African visa then you have a problem.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Actually, the layover is 5 1/2 hours, so plenty of time providing incoming flight is not too delayed. UK passport, so no visa needed.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Plenty of time to enjoy the SLOW lounge for breakfast then ^
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I have an LHR-JNB BA flight and a Comair JNB-CPT on the same PNR, but I believe I'll have to collect my baggage and go through customs at Jo'burg as it is my first port of entry in SA. Would love this not to be so, but.....?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Yes, you'll need to collect and recheck just after customs, before leaving the international arrivals area.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Claranda
I have an LHR-JNB BA flight and a Comair JNB-CPT on the same PNR, but I believe I'll have to collect my baggage and go through customs at Jo'burg as it is my first port of entry in SA. Would love this not to be so, but.....?
First of all, welcome to FT!

Yes you do need to collect your luggage and proceed through customs then you can drop your bags again, similar to the operation at US airports. You then need to make your way over to the domestic terminal (same building all under one roof) and go through security before you make your way to the lounge (if you have access) or gate.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by sds1493
[JNB-VFA] Comair check in is in the domestic terminal and then you'll have to walk back over to the international gates.
Are you sure? Check-in for international regional BA Comair flights used to be in Terminal A, next to the BA longhaul desks, while domestic flights were of course in domestic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.