Seat Reservation [Group booking]

Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec. Club Bronze
Seat Reservation [Group booking]

Hello all,

As you are aware, to reserve seats in advance can be very expensive with BA, especially when travelling in groups.
So my question is, is there any way that you know of to reserve a seat for just one member of a group? By calling, for example?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! A-L
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:58 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Yes, just select a seat for one person in Manage My Booking.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Thanks for the response, but you have to reserve seats for all passengers on the booking. I am wondering if there is any way to do it for just one member of the booking.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by nux
Except that it demands that seats for all people in the booking must be selected before you can continue. In other words everyone has to choose and pay for a seat.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

yes exactly. so im asking if there is any way round that.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
I can't comment on group bookings, but what you are suggesting is not possible for family bookings. The reason for this is that minor children are always seated with at least one adult family member and it would be an easy ruse if one adult were permitted to reserve (and pay) for just one prime seat and be safe in the knowledge that the minors would be allocated the adjacent seats (effectively for free). The good thing is that seating with children is always allocated 3 days in advance of check-in rather than the normal 24 hours.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Luca Windus
I can't comment on group bookings, but what you are suggesting is not possible for family bookings. The reason for this is that minor children are always seated with at least one adult family member and it would be an easy ruse if one adult were permitted to reserve (and pay) for just one prime seat and be safe in the knowledge that the minors would be allocated the adjacent seats (effectively for free). The good thing is that seating with children is always allocated 3 days in advance of check-in rather than the normal 24 hours.
Thank you, that is good news. Once the seats are allocate 3 days before, can you change them? Also where does the adult/child age boundary lie with BA?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ba123
Thank you, that is good news. Once the seats are allocate 3 days before, can you change them? Also where does the adult/child age boundary lie with BA?
See this page at ba.com:
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...travel/seating
If you don’t choose your seats in advance, we’ll do our best to seat your family together a few days before your flight departs, from the limited selection of seats available. This might result in your family being split over different rows or across the aisle, however we will make sure each child under 12 is seated with an adult from your booking. Anyone over 12 years is treated as an adult in our system, so we may seat them separately.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
thank you thats very helpful. does anyone know if you can alter these seats once BA has allocated them?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Not really.

BA tries to sit groups (well when made on the same booking) together.

It's harder as well if the group (and you don't say how large your group is or if includes babies / infants or cabin class) has lap babies in it as seat allocation then has to take into account the location of the extra O2 masks which then makes it harder to switch seats.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:09 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ba123
thank you thats very helpful. does anyone know if you can alter these seats once BA has allocated them?
I believe the answer is yes, but only once check-in opens (i.e. at the same time everyone else who hasn't pre-selected gets a look-in). You probably shouldn't expect too much to be available if you're hoping to get a reasonably large group together though, I'm afraid.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Is this a group booking as in a family which simply booked its tickets together or a group which booked through a tour company, TA or other means?

Also, is there a special reason for selecting a seat for the one individual beyond the ordinary, e.g. "wants a nicer seat" such as medical needs and the like?

The nature of the booking and the reason for this individual's need may provide some greater help to you.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:46 pm

If this is an actual group booking ie more than 9 people travelling you will be unable to use manage my booking including online check in. As mentioned by others seats will be assigned.

If it is a booking of several people travelling together upto 9(non group booking) then you can pre pay for seats for just one or more passengers if you call.

If there is an infant on the booking you can assign seats for free for everyone from point of booking. If there are children below 12 on the booking seats are assigned for free 72 hours from departure.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Luca Windus
Despite what you suggest if you call you can pay for seats for just some of the passengers on a booking, even if it includes children.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the very helpful responses. Particularly anonba, good to know. It is a family booking, with 2 adults and 1 under 12.

I think I will try calling and reserving a seat only for one of the adults, then the remaining two should be seated together.

Thanks again for all help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.