Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I use Avios for hotel bookings if my residence is not UK or USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I use Avios for hotel bookings if my residence is not UK or USA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RJ BA AF LH AC
Smile Can I use Avios for hotel bookings if my residence is not UK or USA

😊I have a BA EC bronze card with residence in Middle East. Could not use Avios points for *(Hotel) bookings, though I could use those points for Air travel BA tickets ;part cash payment . BUT NOT for booking *hotel rooms .Suggestions.
Am able to change my address to a Canadian address,I was told.The Avios points expire before end of December 2016.😊0
What's best thing I can do ''to benefit.?Thanks Raja
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

We have moved your query form the TalkBoard Topics forum to the British Airways | Executive Club forum for the best responses.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA,BAEC bronze
Not quite sure why you can not use your avois for hotel bookings? I have used them in various countries.
Maybe one of the more seasoned FTers can shed a light on it and explain?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Which BA website are you searching on?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA Oneworld
A comparative non-UK/USA perspective from Brazil:
I have never tried to book hotels with avios but have just tried to, as an exercise in response to this question, and I am presented with this message:

Sorry, but you can only book flights online with Avios at the moment. To book hotels, cars or experiences please contact your local Executive Club Service Centre.

I can't say if ' at the moment' implies this is a temporary technical issue, or a permanent policy issue.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
First of all, your Avios won't expire if you do some kind of activity. Buy a few, transfer some hotel points, etc. It doesn't need to be a flight.

However, I have absolutely no idea how you could have a current Bronze card yet have Avios expiring, since status requires flights crediting to your account. Are you sure your Avios are expiring and not your status/tier points?

Second, spending Avios on hotel nights is rather poor value so I would recommend saving them for flights.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Raja Halazon
😊I have a BA EC bronze card with residence in Middle East.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Raja Halazon, I hope you will find it an interesting place. Please feel free to continue participating here, we do try to encourage new posters to come forward.

It is the case that if you have your address in the "wrong" place you can't use Avios for hotels, I know Latin America is another place so blocked, since an Argentinian poster has also complained about it. I would suggest you either buy a small amount of Avios, or perhaps credit a hotel stay or some such, to keep the Avios balance alive so you can do something useful with them.

[Random Question to others, I should know the answer, but I don't: Are there hotels where buying a meal gets a credit? I suspect not for Hiltons unless processed via the Front Desk but any other experiences?]
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Second, spending Avios on hotel nights is rather poor value so I would recommend saving them for flights.
I don't think it's possible to generalise on that point as I've had some excellent value against rack rates over the years. When comparing value you have to factor in the high charges associated with flight redemption which are mostly absent for hotels.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I don't think it's possible to generalise on that point as I've had some excellent value against rack rates over the years. When comparing value you have to factor in the high charges associated with flight redemption which are mostly absent for hotels.
One key aspect to support this is that BA's hotels deals are more wide ranging than some other hotel contracts. In particular it is sometimes worth lobbing in the lowest level of Avios possible, and paying the rest in cash, to leverage a potentially good deal. DUB is a case in point, if the rates look high then it's sometimes worth checking out the Avios situation.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Why would you ever compare against rack rate? It must be a one in a million chance where you need one specific hotel, absolutely no other hotel will do, the hotel is so full that only rack rate is available, yet you can book it for a reasonable number of avios?

Raffles did a study awhile back. As I recall you could get around 0.6p of "value" against an often inflated cost of booking hotels via BA instead of direct or via another OTA. Sorry, but that's not good use of avios, no matter what surcharges you might pay for a flight.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:27 am

deleted.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One key aspect to support this is that BA's hotels deals are more wide ranging than some other hotel contracts. In particular it is sometimes worth lobbing in the lowest level of Avios possible, and paying the rest in cash, to leverage a potentially good deal. DUB is a case in point, if the rates look high then it's sometimes worth checking out the Avios situation.
Indeed. It varies widely but there is certainly value to be had dependent upon the circumstances.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Raffles did a study awhile back. As I recall you could get around 0.6p of "value" against an often inflated cost of booking hotels via BA instead of direct or via another OTA. Sorry, but that's not good use of avios, no matter what surcharges you might pay for a flight.
I suppose I have to beg to differ with Raffles as well then haven't I?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: RJ BA AF LH AC
Thanks responders.Good points Better is to keep points for air travel.Shall persist trying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.