Complex routing home (LAX-DEN-LHR-NCL)

Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Complex routing home (LAX-DEN-LHR-NCL)

Hi,

I'm travelling LAX-DEN-LHR-NCL in a couple of weeks to return home for Christmas and am a little worried about making the connection to the LHR flight in DEN.

At the moment I have just under a 1.5 hour layover between flights and given how busy LAX is, particularly at the time of day I'm flying (midday), I'm anxious of missing the DEN-LHR flight.

The flight currently only has 4 seats left in Main Cabin on the seat map so looks full - is it worth me asking at LAX if they will switch me to the direct LAX-LHR flight or is it unlikely they'll do this? (I'm on a cheap economy ticket)

I'd rather not be stuck in Denver for the night!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You should be fine. At Denver the AA flight comes into gate A48 or A50, which is just a few metres away from the BA gate, usually A37. There's a central hub area to cross, which provides the connector to the main DEN building and other concourse, but that's about it really. You could be over an hour late departing LAX and still make the connection quite easily. If there were two tickets involved I would be a bit more worried, but from the way you've put it, it's just the one. AA protect across tickets but still I wouldn't recommend it. There's no security to do at DEN in this scenario.

If, when you are in LAX, you discover that the LAX-DEN is running very late, then go to the rebooking centre or Admirals club and ask for the re-route, they would accommodate this if you clearly couldn't make the connection. Otherwise if it was on time, and subject to the provisions of the Same Day Change arrangements, they would probably wonder what the problem was.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:16 pm

By all means ask, because if you don't ask you don't get. Although if your ticket is non changeable it is probably...er...non changeable.

Still assuming you are on a single ticket then at least you will be looked after if you misconnect.

Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why is this routing complex if you're trying to go to NCL? You picked the DEN connection to avoid paying more for the LAX-LHR nonstop. It's clearly a legal connection.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why is this routing complex if you're trying to go to NCL? You picked the DEN connection to avoid paying more for the LAX-LHR nonstop. It's clearly a legal connection.
Oh I wasn't saying it isn't legal - understood the risks when I was booking it (albeit, I did have a three hour connection in DEN until BA changed flight times a few months back)

Just don't want to be stressed about missing it especially as outbound from MAN I had a 7 hour delay handled very badly by BA.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You should be fine. At Denver the AA flight comes into gate A48 or A50, which is just a few metres away from the BA gate, usually A37. There's a central hub area to cross, which provides the connector to the main DEN building and other concourse, but that's about it really. You could be over an hour late departing LAX and still make the connection quite easily. If there were two tickets involved I would be a bit more worried, but from the way you've put it, it's just the one. AA protect across tickets but still I wouldn't recommend it. There's no security to do at DEN in this scenario.
Thanks for this, wasn't sure how big DEN was as it's my first time flying through there so this makes me feel better! And yes, all on one ticket so I should be fine
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by pallan12
Thanks for this, wasn't sure how big DEN was as it's my first time flying through there so this makes me feel better! And yes, all on one ticket so I should be fine
DEN is split into several concourses in separate buildings, but that's not relevant to your travels, you'll just going through a section of the same building. I've measured it on Google, I reckon it's about 200 metres from A50 to A37, which is roughly the length of the pier at NCL from the mini WH Smith to the end where Emirates departs.

It's not a bad place for a transfer, and 90 minutes wouldn't worry me in the slightest. If all goes to plan you may be able to pop in the Denver Chop House, in the central hub area, for a bite.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Something strange has just happened.

I have the MyFlights app and got a notification to say the booking had been changed.

I log into my booking on MMB to see that the LAX-DEN-LHR part is completely gone, only the LHR-NCL remains with no indication as to why. I've just called and she said the flights still exist and are operating, I'm not outside of minimum connection times and she doesn't know why it happened.

So she said she has just re-held seats for me on those flights again but it won't go through immediately. I'm very confused right now- how long do I give it before calling again if they don't show up? What if they suddenly disappear again?!

Obviously its a little stressful as these flights have been booked for months and it's less than two weeks until I travel home and they've mysteriously disappeared. Has anyone had something like this happen to them before?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata

I have the MyFlights app and got a notification to say the booking had been changed.

I log into my booking on MMB to see that the LAX-DEN-LHR part is completely gone, only the LHR-NCL remains with no indication as to why. I've just called and she said the flights still exist and are operating, I'm not outside of minimum connection times and she doesn't know why it happened.

So she said she has just re-held seats for me on those flights again but it won't go through immediately. I'm very confused right now- how long do I give it before calling again if they don't show up? What if they suddenly disappear again?!

Obviously its a little stressful as these flights have been booked for months and it's less than two weeks until I travel home and they've mysteriously disappeared. Has anyone had something like this happen to them before?
Slightly strange yes, but there could be a few possible reasons. It would help if you had the dates of your travel to hand.

Now, I am aware ticketing the flight can take a while, but merely booking you on a service (not ticketing) should instantly show in MMB. Has that happened?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:29 am

Sundays is when AA tend to do surgery on their IT systems, it may be just a temporary thing which if you weren't on MyFlights you wouldn't have noticed. However the key thing is what it says on the AA.com (eventually), so get the AA PNR and have a look at what it says there.

If you are looking at the BA PNR then it may be misleading since it's not the real one for AA, they are on Sabre and BA are on Amadeus, so shadow PNRs get created to hold information. If the underlying Sabre reservation gets out of sync with the Amadeus reservation then alarming things come up. It may just be a minor timing change.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick trusty replies!

Just looked at MMB again and the flights are still gone

I'll have to have a look in the morning at the AA MMB as I'm on my phone about to head to bed here in LA but I'm hoping something will have changed.

The flights are as follows:

15DEC16 BA6506 LAX-DEN (AA6006 I believe - booked under BA codeshare)
15DEC16 BA218 DEN-LHR
16DEC16 BA1332 LHR-NCL (still showing in MMB)
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
.. as CWS says, first check AA.com and see if the flights still exist as previously LAX-DEN-LHR etc, especially the LAX-DEN.
You also mentioned so "fun" on the outbound(s), this might have caused loss or glitch on the return side. So, give BA a call on that if nothing changes in next 24 hours.
Back to the 1hr 30 question. Even I would be fine with that. For peace of mind look up current performance of that flight ex-LAX on flightradar or flightaware. Yes, it may be occasionally 20 mins or so late departing LAX but normally AA's buffer times are quite good.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:01 am

I'll have to have a look in the morning at the AA MMB as I'm on my phone about to head to bed here in LA but I'm hoping something will have changed.
I've had a check and it looks OK to me, in that the flights are all Ok and there are plenty of seats, and I'd be entirely relaxed about this, it could be just some minor IT thing. The only bit of concern I would have - and trust me, it's about 1.7 out of 10 on the CWS concern scale - is that though MCT at DEN is a sensible 1 hour, you booked this originally as 3 hours, and BA's own domestic to international MCT for DEN is 2 hours. But still, I'd leave it a few days and see what happens. There are plenty, plenty of options so not worth getting worried about.

You may want to get the AA App installed on your device, it could make your life a lot easier in this area.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:19 am
Original Poster

The flight have reappeared in MMB but on the app don't have a ticket number so I assume aren't confirmed?

Called BA and they said I need call my travel agent to confirm. Call them and they say there's nothing wrong with my booking and it's all confirmed.

Still not really sure where I stand!
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:57 am

OK, and what does it say on AA.com?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.