Wiki Posts
Search

Where's HIDDY?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
... Just to comment on this, GLA, lately, this forum has been overtaken by people who keep saying the same thing over and over in every other thread about how they fly all these other airlines and never fly BA. So, I don't see how opinions of people, who are proud to announce in every thread they can that they fly AA or QR or CX and never set their foot on a BA plane, are more valuable than HIDDY's... He does not hide the fact that he does not fly BA much. If some want to resign HIDDY to posting in forums of other airlines that he says he flies with most of the time, then it is double standard. I don't see all these 'non-BA' GCHs participating much (or at all) over on the AA forum or QR forum - they seem to remain very vocal over here. Yes, HIDDY may have flown his last BA flight 5 years ago (not true), but when we discuss things in general, I don't see how his opinion should be less welcome here than those of a few other members. The ability to listen to others and be heard is what makes this forum great. That is, when one is not inclined to hear one thing only and to be agreed with. I mean, your comment seems to apply to many here after all...
You make a very valid point.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Nov 24, 2016 at 3:29 pm
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:09 pm

Who's this Hiddy you are discussing?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:14 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
Hey chaps. I wasn't meaning to be rude, maybe just a wee bit cheeky. Us Weegies need to stick together anyway! 😉

Agree with all the comments subsequent to mine. I've always found him to be an entertaining and thoroughly likeable contributor.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Who's this Hiddy you are discussing?
He's the guy who had sausage issues!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Maybe he was arrested for getting too close to his cows?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Andriyko

Just to comment on this, GLA, lately, this forum has been overtaken by people who keep saying the same thing over and over in every other thread about how they fly all these other airlines and never fly BA.
Your statement is pretty much 98% incorrect.

The forum seems to have a large number of complaints from people who have just gotten off a BA flight and are reporting experiences that are not very good.

Almost daily there are several new threads on new poor experiences with BA.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by layz
He's the guy who had sausage issues!
I remember him for flatulence !

Originally Posted by elitetraveler

The forum seems to have a large number of complaints from people who have just gotten off a BA flight and are reporting experiences that are not very good.

Well said. If HIDDY does not fly that much he sure appeared to be in favour of BA ?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: BAEC

The fact is, a lot of that does happen. What you suggest is an exaggeration, which is a symptom of a certain attitude on this board. You're just shooting down an opinion by unscientifically saying it's "98% incorrect". Again back to the attitude.

Separate the issues that are specific to BA, and then those of running an airline generally. You can't go to a major airline's Facebook page and not see countless disgruntled customers 'defacing' the comment section. It's an airline. Some forums are more active than others for all manner of reasons. Just looking through the first 2 pages of the forum now and I can only see 1 complaint thread, which is regarding a baggage charge. You have a few long threads full of varying opinions: some positive, some not so, some downright hysterical. A lot of it's pretty mundane and practical advice, neither about bad nor good experiences.

The negative experiences provoke a reaction and cause people to moan. The positives don't get the same kind of reaction. They don't 'stick' so well. That's just the way we are. However it must be noted that a positive post on here, IME, receives far less attention than the complaints. Could that in turn put people off from bothering? Quite possibly. Some people on here just won't hear it.

I could go on. But I really don't feel this place is as welcoming as it could be, or indeed once was.

Originally Posted by HMPS
Well said. If HIDDY does not fly that much he sure appeared to be in favour of BA ?
He's entitled to an opinion. Why question his entitlement to that simply because he doesn't fly as much as someone else? What you're suggesting seems to be (to me) "No-one could possibly be in favour of BA if they flew it more often like us big boys!". That's exactly the attitude that's being pointed out here... only there are some that say that and barely fly BA. Let's not pretend that doesn't happen. Neither is very fair in any case.

Last edited by destere; Nov 24, 2016 at 6:39 pm
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by destere
The fact is, a lot of that does happen. What you suggest is an exaggeration, which is a symptom of a certain attitude on this board. You're just shooting down an opinion by unscientifically saying it's "98% incorrect". Again back to the attitude.

Separate the issues that are specific to BA, and then those of running an airline generally. You can't go to a major airline's Facebook page and not see countless disgruntled customers 'defacing' the comment section. It's an airline. Some forums are more active than others for all manner of reasons. Just looking through the first 2 pages of the forum now and I can only see 1 complaint thread, which is regarding a baggage charge. You have a few long threads full of varying opinions: some positive, some not so, some downright hysterical. A lot of it's pretty mundane and practical advice, neither about bad nor good experiences.

The negative experiences provoke a reaction and cause people to moan. The positives don't get the same kind of reaction. They don't 'stick' so well. That's just the way we are. However it must be noted that a positive post on here, IME, receives far less attention than the complaints. Could that in turn put people off from bothering? Quite possibly. Some people on here just won't hear it.

I could go on. But I really don't feel this place is as welcoming as it could be, or indeed once was.
BA as an airline 10 years ago was among one of the best in the world - It's hard product - seats in F and J were either better than most other airlines by a small margin or in many cases a large margin - The BA lounge product, with pre-flight dining, showers and arrival lounges again was leaps ahead of many other airlines that offered some or none of the above. BA was still an innovator - even small things like Club Kitchen with an investment in fridges and overs for heated snacks. On the soft side, planes were generally pretty clean - comparable to LH or LX.

Since that point, a huge amount has changed from BA cutting the number of cabin crew, cutting on cleaning of planes, cutting F menus, cutting F amenities, cutting Club Kitchen, not maintaining cabins, cutting Y meal service, letting the showers at T5 fall into disrepair before doing anything, devaluing BAEC, on and on - to losing its edge in hard product.

While for awhile BA seemed to compensate with generous Avios when things went south, that seems to have changed.

Feel free to keep your head in the sand. The fact that BA has fallen is fact based, and it is reflected by the constant stream of poor experiences, and the fact that many who in the past (including me) who defended BA and believed these were exceptions now see it happen regularly.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: BAEC
Feel free to keep your head in the sand. The fact that BA has fallen is fact based, and it is reflected by the constant stream of poor experiences, and the fact that many who in the past (including me) who defended BA and believed these were exceptions now see it happen regularly.
I'm well aware of what BA was. I am also aware of what BA is. Just because I am not as negative as I supposedly should be, don't assume I am not aware of any issues.

However feel free to keep your head in the sand regarding why some of these changes have come about, and indeed where other 'beloved' airlines are heading. You're not going to like it.

People keep banging on about what other airlines are doing, but most aren't doing very well financially. CX and QR are going 10 abreast on the 777. EK will soon be charging for seat selection on certain J fares. Various elements of their F and J soft products are being cut back. It won't stop there. Why? Money. The market. Real factual evidence of what the market is demanding. But many here ignore that. Reality. I'm not saying everyone has to prescribe to a specific set of opinions. It's just there's often no balance.

Last edited by destere; Nov 24, 2016 at 6:52 pm
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Without being too harsh on the poster, I often thought his commentary was designed to be contrarian for the sake of it. Hope he is well though.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:33 pm
Suspended

I'm well aware of what BA was. I am also aware of what BA is. Just because I am not as negative as I supposedly should be, don't assume I am not aware of any issues.

However feel free to keep your head in the sand regarding why some of these changes have come about, and indeed where other 'beloved' airlines are heading. You're not going to like it.

People keep banging on about what other airlines are doing, but most aren't doing very well financially. CX and QR are going 10 abreast on the 777. EK will soon be charging for seat selection on certain J fares. Various elements of their F and J soft products are being cut back. It won't stop there. Why? Money. The market. Real factual evidence of what the market is demanding. But many here ignore that. Reality. I'm not saying everyone has to prescribe to a specific set of opinions. It's just there's often no balance.
Keep on winging it -- The one place in seating BA did have an advantage was 777 Y - which now they will be even.

In terms of F, they are behind JL, KE, SQ, GA, CX, LX, LH, EK, QR, EY, TG, TK, LO - In terms of J (seat) they are behind AA, CX, JL, KE, SQ, new AF, DL 330/744, QR, EY - if you get 64/62/14 AK on the 744s on BA they are excellent -- otherwise, most BA CW seats are below LX, LH, OS, DL/AA 767.

I suppose every other airline is doing poorly?

If BA works for you - you get the seats and service you want, you find the planes clean, congratulations -- but stop pretending other folks aren't having poor experiences.

BA's saving grace is its LHR hub
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP

He's entitled to an opinion. Why question his entitlement to that simply because he doesn't fly as much as someone else? What you're suggesting seems to be (to me) "No-one could possibly be in favour of BA if they flew it more often like us big boys!". That's exactly the attitude that's being pointed out here... only there are some that say that and barely fly BA. Let's not pretend that doesn't happen. Neither is very fair in any case.

As you said, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. You are going further by putting words in my mouth. I merely pointed out a fact, did not dispute or questioned anyone's rights.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
BA as an airline 10 years ago was among one of the best in the world - It's hard product - seats in F and J were either better than most other airlines by a small margin or in many cases a large margin - The BA lounge product, with pre-flight dining, showers and arrival lounges again was leaps ahead of many other airlines that offered some or none of the above. BA was still an innovator - even small things like Club Kitchen with an investment in fridges and overs for heated snacks. On the soft side, planes were generally pretty clean - comparable to LH or LX.

Since that point, a huge amount has changed from BA cutting the number of cabin crew, cutting on cleaning of planes, cutting F menus, cutting F amenities, cutting Club Kitchen, not maintaining cabins, cutting Y meal service, letting the showers at T5 fall into disrepair before doing anything, devaluing BAEC, on and on - to losing its edge in hard product.
The irony is you have just reinforced the argument you chose to contest. This is nothing more than a long-winded, dreary, general anti-BA whinge, and it has been added to a thread which is about the current absence of a hitherto frequent poster, and so is entirely irrelevant. It is precisely the type of post that has been unnecessarily cluttering up the BA forum of late, as others have pointed out.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Gosh, I hope that this thread isn't going to descend into a bunfight of nitpicking

It started with a simple post enquiring, and meaning well, about a regular poster here. Please don't let it turn into another whinge thread about how awful BA is!

It's so British it's embarrassing (sic)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.