Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'Just to inform you that it's only one teabag sir'

'Just to inform you that it's only one teabag sir'

Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Are you the serial biscuit thief that Salon Riviera have been trying to track down ?

M
I don't say if it were good chocolate bars or bags of haribo, but biscuits is one thing I certainly won't be found pinching, serially or otherwise!!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Actually, I find the suggestion wholly unreasonable. People don't buy first class tickets to need to BYO their tea any more than you buy a night in a 5* hotel to bring your own towels or go to a Michelin starred restaurant to bring your sugar for coffee.
+1.

Ultimately, it would be unpractical for any airline to cater to everyone's tastes and preferences. Say, there may be 100 ex-LHR BA premium pax a day who'll want to read a Spanish newspaper, 100 an Italian one, and 100 a French one, but it might be none or 1 or 2 on any given flight so it would make no sense to carry those at the gate.
I must say that I find it infuriating that, with BA serving several French destinations from T3, no French paper is to be found in the T3 Flounge.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB

I must say that I find it infuriating that, with BA serving several French destinations from T3, no French paper is to be found in the T3 Flounge.
Fully agreed (though I have the same complaint about the ccr)
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Pretty much everything I've ever read about BA just sounds awful. Never flown them but can't say I'm ever inspired to.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by RGS5526
On a previous occasion when SH catering was enhanced, from real food down to birdseen or biscuits, ther was a notice in Galleries North, and possibly similar ones elsewhwere, inviting people to take sandwiches and other food to eat n board. It could appear again.
Although this is very true, I'd be surprised if this happened again. Cost cutting is exactly that these days. An open invitation to remove food from the lounges I imagine would outstrip any cost savings related to the BoB offer. Illegal removals statistics however will no doubt hit an all time high
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
Although this is very true, I'd be surprised if this happened again. Cost cutting is exactly that these days. An open invitation to remove food from the lounges I imagine would outstrip any cost savings related to the BoB offer. Illegal removals statistics however will no doubt hit an all time high
What is considered an illegal removal?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by subject2load
I'd say the odds are very high.

And I'd be happy to bet good money on significant changes - involving either access criteria and/or facilities on offer - to BA's overall lounge proposition at their home base, within the next 12/18 months.
Most likely in those glass things where it is impossible to get more than a couple out at a time and decanted into tiny bowls.

No chance to get your hand in unless you number single figures....children will not be going up chimneys but doing snack runs for their parents.

Now if only they could serve the wine as well!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I quit flying BA but this tale just makes me want to book one more flight so I can wear cargo pants into the Flounge. Empty pockets going in, but....
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
What is considered an illegal removal?
Ambiguous to say the least but common sense should prevail. On a scale of trolley bags full of gear being wheeled out at the highly illegal end of the spectrum to the removal of nothing being the wholehearted lawful citizen end, I would suggest something nearer the latter being the line. The odd teabag/ packet of crisps/can of Pepsi on the odd occasion would be ok I guess, but much more and frequently may be deemed as somewhat of a liberty.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:46 am

Ambiguous to say the least but common sense should prevail. On a scale of trolley bags full of gear being wheeled out at the highly illegal end of the spectrum to the removal of nothing being the wholehearted lawful citizen end, I would suggest something nearer the latter being the line. The odd teabag/ packet of crisps/can of Pepsi on the odd occasion would be ok I guess, but much more and frequently may be deemed as somewhat of a liberty.

Yes but with BOB now one would expect the pinching to increase. Who is to blame then?

If it was me, I would take 3 soft drinks and a snack with me on board for a 4 hour LHR-ATH without feeling at all bad about it! Of course if I was flying CE I wouldn't bother. It's not so much taking things 'because I can', its more like I need to feed myself on the flight = )

In the absence of BA making a clear policy on this, one would assume that one can take as much as possible, which of course raises moral issues and greed, but isn't illegal.

Maybe BA will put some T&C's at the lounge entrances saying what you can and cannot take?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I for one would be very interested to hear from one of our resident legal eagles about the law as it applies to removing comestibles from an airline lounge...
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Fitch
I for one would be very interested to hear from one of our resident legal eagles about the law as it applies to removing comestibles from an airline lounge...
Is there a law?
I mean it is 'free' isn't it? Do they have T&C's for lounge use?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Yes but with BOB now one would expect the pinching to increase. Who is to blame then?

If it was me, I would take 3 soft drinks and a snack with me on board for a 4 hour LHR-ATH without feeling at all bad about it! Of course if I was flying CE I wouldn't bother. It's not so much taking things 'because I can', its more like I need to feed myself on the flight = )

In the absence of BA making a clear policy on this, one would assume that one can take as much as possible, which of course raises moral issues and greed, but isn't illegal.

Maybe BA will put some T&C's at the lounge entrances saying what you can and cannot take?
I would suggest my use of the term illegal was meant to be a tounge in cheek sort of remark, not literal; apologies for the confusion.

Although this would help clarify, BA wouldn't adopt the T&C's approach on entrance I don't think. I don't necessarily agree with the new bob approach BA have taken, but hopefully the "I'll take it anyway" approach won't be adopted by all. It's just my honest opinion but the fact that we have to expect it is a sad state of affairs in my view. I still prefer the current model, but some of the Y fares around are very comparable to those of the no frills airlines, as will soon be the offer to feed oneself by the way of bob
Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
to divert our attention what with gin brands being switched
So many posts for a tea bag !

This is all a conspiracy (what with diverting our attention from gin brands being switched ), we are being conditioned prior enhancements to the champagne selections. Frog in the boiling water and all that
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:26 pm

Last edited by adrianjc32; Mar 30, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.