Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to the bread plates in Club?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
What happened to the bread plates in Club?

Hello people,

I was flying in Club World the other day between London and Washington DC and each time I had the meal I got annoyed. I couldn't put my finger on it until it struck me that I was sick of having to deal with the lack of a bread plate.

When I fly in Club Europe, I have to pop the bread into the mug until I'm ready for it. When it's time to cut and butter, crumbs and what not go all over the meal plate and when it's buttered, there's still nowhere to put the bread. Club World is no better, with the bread having to rest on the tablecloth or on the food plate. Either way it still causes a mess.

I see no reason not to have a bread plate. It's just polite! I have written a post about this on the blog I write for below. Total first world problem? Legitimate issue?

Begging For A Bread Plate On British Airways

Thoughts?

Last edited by FlightDetective; Nov 14, 2016 at 10:17 am Reason: Fleshed out the post per the rules.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
I can see this happening soon: "Our club world customers have told us that they are unhappy having bread without a plate. As such, we are rolling out an improved dining experience with all bread removed from all flights."
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Shh Its only a matter of time before Uncle T sees this dont get him started on the bread plate thing again !
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I didn't think links to external blogs etc were allowed if being promoted by the OP in the main body of the post, although can be in signatures?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:44 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pinkcat
Shh Its only a matter of time before Uncle T sees this dont get him started on the bread plate thing again !
My first thought on reading the titread.

As he has been enjoying AA for flights westward, as I have I on occasion, I suspect he will be less concerned.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:35 am

Indeed. At the risk of straying into Uncle T's territory, haven't the bread plates been gone for years?

It certainly seems he's been banging on about it for years
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thank you most sincerely, FlightDetective, for taking up the banner on this most serious and, indeed, pressing topic. Forget BREXIT, Trump, ISIS ... this omission by BA should be referred to the UN General Assembly in the hope that an International Airline Bread Plate Commission (IABPC) be established to encourage (or indeed force) their provision.

Other AAirlines manage to do it at every meal, at least in the better cabins

I shall now retire to my comfy chair in the corner and let you all get on with it: I have made my views clear in the past
Attached Images    
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191

I shall now retire to my comfy chair in the corner and let you all get on with it: I have made my views clear in the past
Correction: AA's policy is similar to BA - a bread plate is provided for certain meals (e.g. breakfast) but not for other meals. Noting, of course, that AA First doesn't provide meals at all on "short" flights (short being the length of most Club Europe flights) or late flights.

Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:56 am

CWS's post is not 100% correct.

On AA, the longer transcons don't get a breadplate. This is because there is room for three plates on the tray: starter, salad and main. So the meal in CWS's pic is one of these.

On all other services where there is a meal, the three plates are: bread plate, starter and main.

The majority of services where there is a meal will have a bread plate.

[I've been spending too much time on the AA hub website where you can see the service guidelines.]
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Correction: AA's policy is similar to BA - a bread plate is provided for certain meals (e.g. breakfast) but not for other meals. Noting, of course, that AA First doesn't provide meals at all on "short" flights (short being the length of most Club Europe flights) or late flights.
Correction 2 ... and MarkFlies comments seen after I had posted
Those photos above [with salad, starter and bread - main course to follow] are, in sequence:
Lunch DUB-PHL
Lunch DUB-CLT
Dinner CLT-DUB

I do agree on the Breakfast plates, though:
B'fast ANC-PHX
B'fast PHX-CLT
(we ate a lot of breakfasts that day
Attached Images   

Last edited by T8191; Nov 14, 2016 at 8:07 am
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
bread = carbs = evilness (particularly on flights when there's lack of exercise).

BA is trying to help you!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by chris1979
bread = carbs = evilness (particularly on flights when there's lack of exercise).

BA is trying to help you!
Enhance your waistline; fly BA
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
Enhance your waistline; fly BA
I guess the next statement soon will be fight alcoholism, fly BA = )
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by kaneporta1
I can see this happening soon: "Our club world customers have told us that they are unhappy having bread without a plate. As such, we are rolling out an improved dining experience with all bread removed from all flights."
Haha! Funnily enough, on the return sector I declined the bread because I'd had enough bread shenanigans for one trip. Another crew member noticed I had no bread, exclaimed and brought the basket, so I kinda had to take some.

Originally Posted by T8191
Thank you most sincerely, FlightDetective, for taking up the banner on this most serious and, indeed, pressing topic. Forget BREXIT, Trump, ISIS ... this omission by BA should be referred to the UN General Assembly in the hope that an International Airline Bread Plate Commission (IABPC) be established to encourage (or indeed force) their provision.

I was not aware there was a fellow bread plate lover in our midst. Glad to hear I'm not alone on this! While I am aware it's not an issue for the front pages, it does make a difference on the flight.

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I guess the next statement soon will be fight alcoholism, fly BA = )
I thought that was already a slogan? Haha!

Thanks for all the comments people!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
they replaced the amuse bouche in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.