Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:57 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am glad this negotiation has reached a conclusion
    mikeyfly likes this.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Who cares what the public think it about causing as much disruption as possible.
    I am entirely with you about this. Us Trotskyists/anarchists are a minority on this forum and I for one welcome your attitude. Disruption focuses the public mind on the inequalities in society and leads to greater understanding and certain revolution. We all know what was going on one hundred years ago today (well, at least if you listen to Radio 4) and with people like us CIHY we will succeed.

Do you think there is any mileage in BA cabin crew refusing to serve in the J and F cabins?
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:34 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Hopefully they won’t be onboard to serve you anyway, the planes wouldn't have pilots to fly the aircraft and there are no staff to check you in.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:43 pm
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Greenpen
    I am entirely with you about this. Us Trotskyists/anarchists are a minority on this forum and I for one welcome your attitude. Disruption focuses the public mind on the inequalities in society and leads to greater understanding and certain revolution. We all know what was going on one hundred years ago today (well, at least if you listen to Radio 4) and with people like us CIHY we will succeed.

Do you think there is any mileage in BA cabin crew refusing to serve in the J and F cabins?
    With an attitude like that you'd love living here 'brother'.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
    With an attitude like that you'd love living here 'brother'.
    I do rather like Argentina because of the steak. You once said that the best steak you ever had was in London in a Aberdeen Angus Steakhouse so I don’t think you’ve grown to enjoy the produce of your adopted country. I’d do better!

Today on Radio 4 farmers programme they were discussing haggis which apparently is made with processed protein rather than meat. They can’t use lung in some countries but substitute.....ah, I had to clean my teeth so didn’t catch that bit.
    HIDDY likes this.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
    I do rather like Argentina because of the steak. You once said that the best steak you ever had was in London in a Aberdeen Angus Steakhouse so I don’t think you’ve grown to enjoy the produce of your adopted country. I’d do better!

Today on Radio 4 farmers programme they were discussing haggis which apparently is made with processed protein rather than meat. They can’t use lung in some countries but substitute.....ah, I had to clean my teeth so didn’t catch that bit.
    I quite like haggis.Its just the bagpipes that get my teeth on edge.
    Calchas and LCSinTexas like this.
    Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
    BA are on track to make a 21% operating margin. Seems reasonable to pay what you promised. Even if they did close it, the opportunistic valuation and cash grab of making it into a not final salary pension is sufficient to cause anger enough to warrant IA. Of course weasel wording of "were the promised it contractually" basically sums up all that is wrong with the modern business world. Management trying to screw employees while feathering their own nests. What justification for ANY business man to earn more that the PM? To argue they have more responsibility is self serving at best.
    do you not at least admit there is a problem, and quite a sizeable one? The first solution can't just be "let's go on strike". A company shouldn't exist to service its pension obligations - other employees not in the DB scheme may call you selfish for putting the company at risk (either financially or from a competitive position).

and I thInk you'll find a good deal of pilots earning more than the PM . Maybe they should ask for their salaries to be rebalanced
    Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by jonas123
    do you not at least admit there is a problem, and quite a sizeable one? The first solution can't just be "let's go on strike". A company shouldn't exist to service its pension obligations - other employees not in the DB scheme may call you selfish for putting the company at risk (either financially or from a competitive position).

and I thInk you'll find a good deal of pilots earning more than the PM . Maybe they should ask for their salaries to be rebalanced
    The weight and obvious logic of your arguments and indeed the in-depth knowledge of the situation you have displayed has persuaded me that I should accept the huge loss of pension and life style in retirement that I was promised. How silly of me to want to expect a company to honour its obligations - silly me. As long as the shareholders get a dividend I shall now be happy, thank you for explaining my erroneous thinking. Maybe I’ll ask for a pay cut so that we can make even more profit - after all that’s just another thing the company promised me, so they really don’t need to pay that either.
    Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:28 am
    V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
    Originally Posted by jonas123

The clue is in the term "obligation". This is not something that is optional.

Short of BA going bust, they're on the hook for this and there is no argument.
    lukew and Calchas like this.
    Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:15 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    DB schemes are entirely possible to run and fund properly if the company is willing to do so. I happen to work for a FTSE 100 company with a DB scheme that it is committed to continuing. It is open to future contributions from existing members and open to new members joining.
    Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:54 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
    Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Who cares what the public think it about causing as much disruption as possible.
    For our younger readers in the 70’and 80’s this was the mantra of the British car industry with constant strikes or a who cares attitude and look where that went.
    If you seriously p**s off your customers you’ll have no airline left that’s worth working for.

As for MD’s earning more than the prime minister grow up. Do you the the owners of the ME3 pay theirselves low salaries. We live in a cut throat capitalist society. Pension scheme have suffered globally and most companies have had to alter or close final salaries schemes. And finally for the staff looking to harm BA, please remember most pension schemes invest heavily in the stock market and therefore any movement on IAG’s share price could be hurting someone else’s pension.
    Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
    For our younger readers in the 70’and 80’s this was the mantra of the British car industry with constant strikes or a who cares attitude and look where that went.
    If you seriously p**s off your customers you’ll have no airline left that’s worth working for.

As for MD’s earning more than the prime minister grow up. Do you the the owners of the ME3 pay theirselves low salaries. We live in a cut throat capitalist society. Pension scheme have suffered globally and most companies have had to alter or close final salaries schemes. And finally for the staff looking to harm BA, please remember most pension schemes invest heavily in the stock market and therefore any movement on IAG’s share price could be hurting someone else’s pension.
    Oh want insane logic, you must suffer a huge loss in pension to protect the share price, which will allow others to, yes you’ve all got there before me, have a decent pension. FFS even a 3 year in kindergarten could see the gaping hole in that line af argument. To quote yourself “grow up.”

MDs or others earning more than the PM merely tells you a tale of corporate greed and or, if you want it the othe4 way, underpaid PMs. But don’t tr6 to justify it with greate levels of responsibility or fiscal managent, the responsibility of the UKs PM to look after 70million voters and the fiscal responsibility of a G7 countr6 far outstrips any CEO. You can decide who is over/underpaid, and that extends to ME3 or any other global company, corporate greed has allowed the disparity between them and political leaders in financial reward terms to grow ridiculously wide, they do it because they can not because it is fair remuneration got their work.
    Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:28 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Folks, we are very rapidly moving off topic here in many different directions.

For those who wish to discuss BA's changing pension arrangements, we have a thread here:
    BA seeks to close NAPS pension scheme

For those who wish to discuss the relative merit of salaries in the UK and Middle East, or make comparisons between the worth of world leaders and pilots, we have OMNI/PR.

This is about the MF strike, nothing more. Let's stick to the topic please.

/mod
    PJSMITH0 and Calchas like this.
    Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:31 am

Does anyone know when is the next ballott and how long it would take to reinstate staff travel benefits?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.