Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:01 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    The minimum crew is low enough, nobody would want less than that.
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:52 am

I believe the SYD flight was subbed to a -200.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Actually I believe it's now the majority.
    My comments were based on figures quoted earlier in this thread: Just over 60% of MF crew are in Unite and the last ballot had 72% participation with 56% in favour of strike action. Multiply the 3 figures together and you get just over 25% of MF voting for strike action.

What are your figures and where do they come from?

Strikers reaction to the latest call for further action reminds me of the poem by Alfred Lord Tennyson (I paraphrase slightly) "ours is not to reason why, ours is just to do and die"
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Down Low
    Not sure I'm afraid. Heard this one second hand,
    So would it not have been better to ascertain the facts before posting something that is clearly incorrect and misleading?
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:59 pm

Given the length of the action strikers may find their mind focussed after 12 weeks since the action began...

From the Government website

"After 12 weeks, you can be dismissed if you take industrial action and your employer has tried to settle the dispute."

Let's hope both sides see sense before such time.
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
    Originally Posted by Dan72
    How are maximum hours calculated? Is it a rolling annual period?

My guess is that the union are extending the strike as they calculate that more crew will soon be hitting maximum hours and will need to be stood down. If so, it seems a sensible tactic, I hope it works for them.
    As far as I am aware there is a monthly limit on duty hours of 100 and an annual limit of 900 hours. The longer the dispute goes on the more likely those working are to get close to 900 hours for the year. This will reduce options moving forward.
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
    Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
    I believe the SYD flight was subbed to a -200.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
    This is highly dubious.

I can't find any -200 sub going back to the beginning of June.
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:20 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
    Which routes are MF from LHR?

Is ZRH affected?

Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:28 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Healthy debate is good but whichever side of the fence you are on can we please leave out personal remarks as it really does the thread and it's meaning no good, nor it's readers. Please.
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
    Which routes are MF from LHR?

Is ZRH affected?

From the Wiki

Zurich is not on the list.
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by PrimaVista
    This is highly dubious.

I can't find any -200 sub going back to the beginning of June.
    My bad in that case, dodgy intel!

A -300 would not have gone with 8 crew ex-LHR, just no way that would happen.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:39 pm

I think some of us just don't believe that Unite actually have MFs best interests at heart and are playing a wider political game with BA using MF as pawns.

If they had taken the ACAS pay deal in December they would be a couple of months away from having their pay benchmarked and hopefully improved to what they expected. They would also have had time to regroup and get sufficient members to actually worry BA next year if things didn't go well.

They never had an exit strategy or told the strikers what they were going for. Ask 10 strikers what they would come back to work for and you'll get 10 different answers.

I've also done enough MF trips during strikes to know that only 10 turning up out of 22 is unusual to the point of incredulity. I haven't personally seen less than 18 turn up for a 380 trip and have never left LHR more than 2 crew members light out of 22.

I was at CRC tonight and the SYD left fully crewed with 0 standbys used. Both 380 departures today were the same.

I have very personal reasons to want MF to be paid well and treated properly, but, this strike is doing precisely nothing to help that. A large number of working MF crew will never join/rejoin the union as a result of Unite MFs behaviour over the last 6 months and that sadly will be why in the long term Unite will fail their members, because they will never be unified.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 3, 2017 at 4:21 pm Reason: Remove deleted quote
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:49 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
    I think some of us just don't believe that Unite actually have MFs best interests at heart and are playing a wider political game with BA using MF as pawns.
    They may or may not, but in fairness, the strikes could only take place because of a vote. If significantly more people have decided to vote in favour of the strikes than to vote against them, it means that somehow, the crew in question have decided that this was their best or least bad option.

As for the possibility of crew being dismissed because of their striking, it would also not penalise Unite but Mixed Fleet crew themselves and even though I'm sure that the reference is not intended with any negativity, I'm not sure that it is very helpful. Incidentally, that a Court would decide that the employer has made genuine and satisfactory attempts to resolve the dispute is massively uncertain (the spirit of that article is effectively to penalise dishonest strike action to be clear).

For what it's worth, I think that MF are expressing great distress at their work and pay conditions and that they are facing a complete lack of interest on the part of management so I personally cannot blame them for their hard and painful choice even though I've been directly affected by its consequences for several of my trips since the beginning of the strikes.
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
    Given the length of the action strikers may find their mind focussed after 12 weeks since the action began...

From the Government website

"After 12 weeks, you can be dismissed if you take industrial action and your employer has tried to settle the dispute."

Let's hope both sides see sense before such time.
    I really doubt BA sacking all the striking MF fleet would do good for its PR.
    Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
    I've also done enough MF trips during strikes to know that only 10 turning up out of 22 is unusual to the point of incredulity. I haven't personally seen less than 18 turn up for a 380 trip and have never left LHR more than 2 crew members light out of 22.

I was at CRC tonight and the SYD left fully crewed with 0 standbys used. Both 380 departures today were the same.
    Strikers rosters have been wiped til the end of August now so all the flights will be rostered with non strikers, hence why you won't see many no shows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.