Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:38 pm

The general consensus is that this will be declined. This is proof that the strikes are having an effect and for the vast majority of the strikers, reinstatement of staff travel was far from being one of the main issues. It was merely dressed up by BA in that way as a PR exercise.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
    Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:15 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
    The general consensus is that this will be declined. This is proof that the strikes are having an effect and for the vast majority of the strikers, reinstatement of staff travel was far from being one of the main issues. It was merely dressed up by BA in that way as a PR exercise.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
    This is confusing, the impression we've been given in this topic is that staff travel was the last remaining issue and that pay etc had been agreed in principle? Is this not so?
    Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    This is confusing, the impression we've been given in this topic is that staff travel was the last remaining issue and that pay etc had been agreed in principle? Is this not so?
    It seems, to me, that the strikers don't actually know what they want. Not a very robust baseline from which to hold a strike.
    Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:33 am

Hello BA.MF.CSM

could you try to explain the outstanding issue? I have been following this thread since the beginning and I did think that although perhaps not delighted with the pay offer, most crew would have been willing to accept it, had it not been that BA were refusing to return staff travel privileges, which I thought BA was doing in an effort to convince others to not take industrial action in future.

Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
    Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    From what I understand, it is only staff travel they have offered to return.

No mention of reinstating bonus or my incentive payments for those who went on strike or if the current pay deal being offered will be backdated.
    Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Interesting news on the BBC web site. IAG second quarter profits up to more than 800m euros, but one item caught my eye in particular - Walsh: BA has 'not lost plot on customer service'

Still plenty of money in the BA war chest then?
    Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
    Interesting news on the BBC web site. IAG second quarter profits up to more than 800m euros, but one item caught my eye in particular - Walsh: BA has 'not lost plot on customer service'

Still plenty of money in the BA war chest then?
    And BA profit for Q2 up on last year, when record profits were made. Even with the quoted Ł58million for the IT debacle that still puts BA ahead of last year.
    Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Down Low
    From what I understand, it is only staff travel they have offered to return.

No mention of reinstating bonus or my incentive payments for those who went on strike or if the current pay deal being offered will be backdated.
    That was all already in the ACAS pay deal.
    Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:58 am

BA asked Unite to separate the pay deal from the staff travel issue. Unite refused.

BA have now offered to return staff travel meaning that there is nothing at all blocking a ballot on the pay deal (that was only narrowly rejected anyway).

Unite seem more interested in striking than dealing.
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:05 am
    Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
    Flew BA from T5 to Stuttgart and everyone i delt with were very professional and helpful. Had a good flight. Crew were also very professional for the short 1 hr 20 min flight and pilots were informative.

good experience as a sapphire one world traveller
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:35 am

New strike dates announced 16th-30th August inclusive.
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:37 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Brilliant keep the pressure on.
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:45 am

BA are cancelling 3 flights a day.

It takes only 27 more people to report per day and that will be zero. I don't think BA feel remotely under pressure.
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:52 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    You know that it's causing more problems then that, all those subs to other airlines, flights with minimum crewing and also all of those crew coming up to maximum hours.
    Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
    I really hope MF get a result. Most of the crew are so lovely and work so hard. I had one of my best CE flights ever to BUD last week. An exceptional team.

Operating the flights with other airlines is definitely costing BA money and PR damage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.