Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:24 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by rossmacd
    Can we put the brakes on BAFT's High Court proceedings please?
    Has this been heard yet?
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:27 am
    Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
    Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    Has this been heard yet?
    Starts at 3:30pm.

The Honorable Judge Rinder will reside

M
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:29 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by msm2000uk
    Starts at 3:30pm.

The Honorable Judge Rinder will reside

M
    Hahahaha - I can imagine Rob having a very enjoyable time with that one! He's actually a very effective barrister.
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Just come off quite a weird MF flight... SYD - SIN, it's the BA16 so carrying on but I only did the first bit this time as off to Cambodia from here tomorrow.

I say weird because of a few reasons...

Very empty flight. Rough estimate was 40% in CW, 30% in WT+ (my cabin this time) and 70% in WT.

Firstly they made a point of saying they had 12 crew in the welcome announcement. I don't know if this + or - normal but I've never heard the number stated before.

Most obviously all the special meals were brought out after the main service whereas they're usually before.

But the weirdest thing seemed to be the onboard upgrade activities... I didn't get an offer as a GCH with an empty seat next to me but one chap was brought through from WT to a WT+ empty row and then appeared to be offered a seat in CW but turned it down. Then after that and after meal service about 4 / 5 people were brought forward from WT to WT+... I've never seen that happen before... and several people were taken "through the curtain" which we know VERY rarely happens on non full BA flights...

Nothing to complain about, service was as usual (although my starter and dessert were frozen because main service happened so quickly due to bar finishing early as very few people and I was in my usual 22J) but just felt... I dunno... odd. This is a flight I take at least monthly and normally in WT+ cabin and there was something in the air...
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:02 am
    Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
    Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    Hahahaha - I can imagine Rob having a very enjoyable time with that one! He's actually a very effective barrister.
    He'd love the FT crowd!

My mother knows him through the barrister world, and has said the same!

M
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie

Most obviously all the special meals were brought out after the main service whereas they're usually before.

But the weirdest thing seemed to be the onboard upgrade activities... I didn't get an offer as a GCH with an empty seat next to me but one chap was brought through from WT to a WT+ empty row and then appeared to be offered a seat in CW but turned it down. Then after that and after meal service about 4 / 5 people were brought forward from WT to WT+... I've never seen that happen before... and several people were taken "through the curtain" which we know VERY rarely happens on non full BA flights...

Nothing to complain about, service was as usual (although my starter and dessert were frozen because main service happened so quickly due to bar finishing early as very few people and I was in my usual 22J) but just felt... I dunno... odd. This is a flight I take at least monthly and normally in WT+ cabin and there was something in the air...

I've had that happen before but it was (flying) staff who were being upgraded, not commercial passengers.
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:37 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Sounds like IFE problems that caused customers to be moved from WT to WT plus midflight.
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Sounds like IFE problems that caused customers to be moved from WT to WT plus midflight.
    That would make sense... one of them was REALLY pissed and continued to be so... to the extent that the CC were trying to find out her original seat number to warn ground staff. IFE failure explains!
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:26 pm
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
    That would make sense... one of them was REALLY pissed and continued to be so... to the extent that the CC were trying to find out her original seat number to warn ground staff. IFE failure explains!
    "Pissed" or "Pissed off"?? Because in the context of 'warning' ground staff there's rather a big difference
    Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
    "Pissed" or "Pissed off"?? Because in the context of 'warning' ground staff there's rather a big difference

The former! By a mile. But she did stand up when taxiing after landing...
    Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    BA offering staff travel back to strikers, in exchange for cancellation of further strike action. All crew have just been emailed...
    Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by woody90
    BA offering staff travel back to strikers, in exchange for cancellation of further strike action. All crew have just been emailed...
    If that's the case, then that's very positive news indeed. Looks like BA have "blinked" here.
    Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:56 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
    Originally Posted by woody90
    Was that the only issue still outstanding?
    Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:11 pm
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    I do get the impression, having travelled with a couple of different sets of MF crew this week, that things are starting to get very much tighter for BA - pretty much everyone is on permanent standby and not knowing where they'll be going from day to day. That's not really sustainable for too long before the crew get burnt out, and the allocations off standby aren't just on short haul - they include the SIN-SYD route, which requires two days in SIN for the crew taking over.
    Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
    Was that the only issue still outstanding?
    No, I think that is just how it was framed. Some staff were also not happy with the offered pay increase, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.