Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
    Checking in today in T3 I asked what impact the MF strike was having. Response - what strike, we thought it was over.
    Well - just 2 flights cancelled due to the strike yesterday - DOH and back.

One cancelled due to a tech issue.

http://thebasource.com/tag/cancellations/
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:33 am
    Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
    On BA 99 yesterday to Toronto in J. Crew were lovely and trying their best but service was obviously slow and there were fewer drinks runs than usual and much less proactive service. Starter came with the dessert and cheese already in place. No salad or bread run. Long wait between starter and main. Not the crew's fault as they were clearly down some members but didn't seem very premium either.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
    Flying to KRK on 26th, back on 29th in CE. What's the likelihood of this being disrupted or perhaps operated by QR?
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:39 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
    Flying to KRK on 26th, back on 29th in CE. What's the likelihood of this being disrupted or perhaps operated by QR?
    If anything happens to to it is likely to be that QR operate your flight. KRK seems to be one of the ones QR planes are being put on.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:45 am

From what I read, the mixed fleet has been on strike since last December. Have none of them worked since then, or do they sporadically walk out with no notice on certain days?
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by wesport
    From what I read, the mixed fleet has been on strike since last December. Have none of them worked since then, or do they sporadically walk out with no notice on certain days?
    The dispute has been going on since December, but until June it was largely "2 days here and there" - then it became a long term strike. If the current period and the next period both go to term - it'll be 44 days out of 47 on strike.

In terms of who is striking - that's harder to say. Not all of MF is part of the union and not all union members will be striking. Some who went out in January won't be out now for example.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
    BA0195 LHR - IAH 20 July Cancelled

Can anyone confirm whether this was a cancellation forced by strike action?

Thanks

G50
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Ziz
    On BA 99 yesterday to Toronto in J. Crew were lovely and trying their best but service was obviously slow and there were fewer drinks runs than usual and much less proactive service. Starter came with the dessert and cheese already in place. No salad or bread run. Long wait between starter and main. Not the crew's fault as they were clearly down some members but didn't seem very premium either.
    similar experience travelling to Toronto in first crew down by 2 members, csd was abrupt and service extremely slow took 3 hours + to complete a meal service
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club
    My flight BA459 from MAD - LHR was canceled on the 10th of July. I thought I could claim for compensation for this, but BA is quoting "industrial action" as the reason for the cancellation.

Is there any way of confirming this as the cause?
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by haroon145
    similar experience travelling to Toronto in first crew down by 2 members, csd was abrupt and service extremely slow took 3 hours + to complete a meal service
    BA probably think this is a result. Saving on CC costs and not compensating customers for poor 'premium' service.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:03 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by matd
    My flight BA459 from MAD - LHR was canceled on the 10th of July. I thought I could claim for compensation for this, but BA is quoting "industrial action" as the reason for the cancellation.

BA459 is the flight operated by MF. It has been fairly consistently cancelled during the strikes. On this occasion I would be surprised if the reason BA gave was wrong, and as you noted no compensation is payable for cancellations due to strikes.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
    Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
    Checking in today in T3 I asked what impact the MF strike was having. Response - what strike, we thought it was over.
    Originally Posted by MPH1980
    Well - just 2 flights cancelled due to the strike yesterday - DOH and back.

One cancelled due to a tech issue.

http://thebasource.com/tag/cancellations/
    From a neutral observer point of view (well, okay, not neutral: I'm a passenger so obviously have pro-BA, anti-strike sentiments) it's clear that the strike is getting nowhere in terms of impact.

Logically the union should cut their losses now when it's just the matter of a lost battle. Instead they are depleting the union's financial resources and PR goodwill, which increases the likelihood of not just a lost battle but a lost war.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:17 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Originally Posted by dougzz
    BA probably think this is a result. Saving on CC costs and not compensating customers for poor 'premium' service.
    At a time when they are apparently trying to improve the CW service levels to win business, I imagine BA will actually be very concerned if there is a perception of poor service compared to other carriers. Most people, because of the relative lack of publicity and paucity of cancellations, will not even realise there's a strike on - and they'll just think the reduced service level is the norm for BA and not bother to travel with them again.

It might well be that if customer satisfaction scores dip even further, and complaints rise, that will be seen as a plausible reason to change tack and settle the dispute. If BA undertook a Net Promoter Score exercise on a LH Mixed Fleet route right now, I bet the results wouldn't look stellar, and the longer Mixed Fleet are out the harder it will be for BA to maintain service levels.
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
    ...any link between the strike and BA209 (MIA) leaving late from LHR recently?

Today it left 90 minutes later than scheduled...I'll be on it tomorrow with a 90 minutes connection in MIA (....well...good luck with that...)
    Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
    Originally Posted by matd

Well, yes, 459 is an MF service so I guess they can deny compensation. I wonder whether they could do this if it were an EF service.

458/9 has also been canceled for Saturday and a couple of subsequent days. No problem getting rebooked on the earlier flight though, so all fine.

I am glad it is only a CE flight down to MAD - if I were on a CW or F flight, I would be extremely angry at reduced service, especially since there seems no improvement in sight any time soon. But given what I have read about some other positive experiences here, this seems to turn into a lottery now, yet another step down for BA; guess will rather avoid them the rest of the year and get my TP on OW partners....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.