Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
    Is it a better deal though? Or just the exact same amount of money rebadged minus staff travel for strikers?
    The deal on the table just now is a better one.

Last edited by Down Low; Nov 28, 2017 at 7:21 am
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Down Low
    Yet the ones who took the industrial action and took the decision to strike to fight for a better deal are punished as others get to enjoy their perks.
    They aren't being punished. They knew the consequences of taking strike action, so why are they surprised that their travel perks have been removed?
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
    They aren't being punished. They knew the consequences of taking strike action, so why are they surprised that their travel perks have been removed?
    Their punishment for striking is having perks taken away but those who did not strike and benefit from the pay deal get to keep them.

The cost to BA of reinstating the perks would be nil - they'd actually benefit financially from staff using their hotlines and staff travel not to mention the fact that the dispute would be over and the need to pay millions of pounds for wet leasing would be disappear.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:44 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    But BA reinstated the same perks they want to take away from MF to ALL crew after the dispute 6 years ago hence why MF are fighting to be treated in the same way.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:59 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    But BA reinstated the same perks they want to take away from MF to ALL crew after the dispute 6 years ago hence why MF are fighting to be treated in the same way.
    Perhaps this is the reason they are stubbornly refusing to reinstate them now? They don't want to give other staff the impression they will automatically have their benefits reinstated if they take industrial action? Are there any negotiations going on with other BA staff at the moment?
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
    Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    CE was MF and F WW.
    I was looking for whether service levels were reduced on MF flights and specifically long haul. I remember years ago, before MF, when food in F and CW looked more like that from Y served on a plate.

Any further experience from others would be gratefully welcome so I'll know whether to stock up in advance.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by stevie
    No drinks pre-meal, full meal all at once, no service thereafter, no snacks laid out during flight. When I went to the galley the crew told me this was reduced service, they basically did not appear the whole flight. This was to Seoul.
    For a flight that distance, this is pretty poor service. BA are not making this clear which I think is disgraceful. The very least they should do is give out vouchers at the airport for some pre-flight shopping of provisions.

When asking on Twitter, I got a very vague response of '[service reduction]...not that we are aware of'.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:13 am

Does seem a bit petty of BA. Perhaps those that didn't take industrial action but are happy to take the benefits accruing might put in a word for those that won them a better deal.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by DrGee
    Does seem a bit petty of BA. Perhaps those that didn't take industrial action but are happy to take the benefits accruing might put in a word for those that won them a better deal.
    Its not petty when you consider how many other BA staff groups are represented by Unite. All of whom are likely to be in dispute (not necessarily Industrial Action) with the company over the next 12 months over pensions and other matters.

Unite clearly want to have a fight over it. That's why they are bribing MF with double their usual strike pay (£60 per day instead of £30). This has a cost to Unite of approx £1.7 million this month alone when MF total subs are only around £0.5m per annum.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:33 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by pennineuk
    For a flight that distance, this is pretty poor service. BA are not making this clear which I think is disgraceful. The very least they should do is give out vouchers at the airport for some pre-flight shopping of provisions.

When asking on Twitter, I got a very vague response of '[service reduction]...not that we are aware of'.
    The fact that we are not being inundated with complaints on here suggests that any service reduction has been very limited.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:45 am

I've now done 3 sectors (1 SH, 2 LH) all with MF and, aside from service being a bit slower on the 1st long haul - I've noticed no difference.

Club Kitchen was set out, food was all served as it should be, appropriate drinks runs etc.

One of the crew on the 1st LH did admit they were down a person and said they were a bit rushed off their feet, but I, frankly, didn't notice.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:25 am
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by pennineuk
    I was looking for whether service levels were reduced on MF flights and specifically long haul. I remember years ago, before MF, when food in F and CW looked more like that from Y served on a plate.

Any further experience from others would be gratefully welcome so I'll know whether to stock up in advance.
    There's no need to stock up - if anything, there's more food than normal as you get BOTH the dessert and cheese in CW without having to beg for it, and more flights are being fully catered so there's a (slightly) lower chance of your first choice not being available.

The major difference in CW is the meal tray (as above) and the speed of service as it takes a bit more time with fewer staff. For example pre-flight champagne might take longer to arrive and there might only be one crew member per aisle serving meals instead of two usually. But overall the service routine, including pre-meal drinks and dinner options, are the same, and despite having to rush around manically crew are getting it done as best they can with the resource they have, to the extent that most passengers don't even notice.

Ironically sometimes in F it has actually led to a more personalised service as crew are being encouraged proactively to offer 'dine on demand' if working down to even out the dinner rush...
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
    There's no need to stock up - if anything, there's more food than normal as you get BOTH the dessert and cheese in CW without having to beg for it, and more flights are being fully catered so there's a (slightly) lower chance of your first choice not being available.

The major difference in CW is the meal tray (as above) and the speed of service as it takes a bit more time with fewer staff. For example pre-flight champagne might take longer to arrive and there might only be one crew member per aisle serving meals instead of two usually. But overall the service routine, including pre-meal drinks and dinner options, are the same, and despite having to rush around manically crew are getting it done as best they can with the resource they have, to the extent that most passengers don't even notice.

Ironically sometimes in F it has actually led to a more personalised service as crew are being encouraged proactively to offer 'dine on demand' if working down to even out the dinner rush...
    Good to hear. Thanks for your comments.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:38 am
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    There's a big difference though. Last time BA essentially won the dispute, and offering a small concession allowed the union to call off the strike while still saving a little bit of face. This time the union has essentially won in that's there's a reasonable pay deal on the table, but BA wants to send a message that striking has consequences. The union is trying to have its cake and eat it, and I suspect will have to offer some kind of concession of its own this time for balance.
    Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:56 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by mikeyfly
    Another strange plane leaving LHR - is it covering BA? Literally five mins ago but not showing on plane finder..
    Yes, it was an RAF KC2 Voyager (A330) and was taking the PM to Hamburg for the G20. Some more photos here:

very odd can't link to a facebook post? the link just becomes invisible?

anyway, look up LHR: airside on facebook

Last edited by KARFA; Jul 7, 2017 at 8:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.