Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:15 am
    Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    If it operates at all it will be a normal service as it's a WW route.
    Thanks. Given that there haven't been any cancellations to US-bound long haul flights during previous strikes, I don't think I have anything to worry about regarding a cancellation to IAD but please let me know if I'm missing something?
    Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:26 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by sts603
    Thanks. Given that there haven't been any cancellations to US-bound long haul flights during previous strikes, I don't think I have anything to worry about regarding a cancellation to IAD but please let me know if I'm missing something?
    I have 10 flights over the period of the proposed strikes, including several on MF routes, and I am not in the slightest bit concerned about getting to my destinations on the days planned.
    Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:43 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Originally Posted by sts603
    There were transatlantic flights cancelled during the previous strikes, these were WW routes with more than one flight daily allowing WW crew to operate MF transatlantic routes.
    Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    What you probably can't do?
    - Read too much into services which appear to be sold out or with zero'd availability.
    haha, and I was just getting worried about all five DUS-LHR flights on Sunday July 2nd... all of which have zero availability/are sold out that day, unlike other days that week where only a small proportion are zeroed (and a DUS-LCY with BA that isn't sold out). I shall fret less. Even if DUS-LHR was disrupted, there are various direct flights and connections available to get from DUS-LON with IB, AB/BA, Vueling, EI, BE and others. There are also worse places to be a tad delayed, and other options for onward travel (e.g. train, car, coach). We will just be tired from an overnight long-haul into DUS so I'm hoping for a smooth ride otherwise my wife will not be a fan of my creative, semi-Avios-efficient routings in the future.

I think that advice that c-w-s kindly posted would act as a lovely boilerplate for the wiki! (and actually for many a wiki!). Thank you all for your continuing discussion - fascinating to read.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Jun 24, 2017 at 9:10 am
    Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
    ...Read too much into services which appear to be sold out or with zero'd availability.

If it is not a MF route, there is no real point getting concerned at all - see Wiki above to find these routes. If it's longhaul I wouldn't be too concerned...
    Why would you not be concerned about flights being zero availability, longhaul flights and non MF routes?

Long haul WW flights have been cancelled during past MF strikes to enable WW crew to operate MF routes.

On July 3rd, all BOS - LHR flights are zeroed out in all classes. They went from plenty of availability to zero instantly. Seat reservations are very light in all cabins. I would put money on at least one of these flights being cancelled and passengers being consolidated on the remaining flight / flights. At the very least, this would cause disruption / delays, especially for connecting passengers.
    Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:50 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by HilFly
    Why would you not be concerned about flights being zero availability, longhaul flights and non MF routes?
    Simply because BA's planning goes from crude to precise only at 3 days out. For example, maybe they zero'd these out before they knew about the Qatar aircraft? We can speculate now, certainly, but what good will that do? It's not a though we can lobby BA to change their minds. The zero'd services may well end up operating.
    Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:59 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
    When flying on AA flight number but operated by BA. If the flight is cancelled who will be working on my reservation to find me another alternative for the cancelled flight: BA or AA and who I should contact to demand fixing up the mess that I will be in while traveling overseas?
    You should contact the ticketing carrier or your travel agent, whoever that was.

If it is close to departure under airport control then talk to BA.

AA's Sabre feed is always a bit delayed, so I would keep an eye on your Amadeus reservation yourself.
    Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
    The zero'd services may well end up operating.
    Exactly. My guess is, one of the e.g. daily DUS is planned to be cancelled. To protect space, all other flights between LHR and DUS are closed for sale, until the cancellation is confirmed. The passengers will then be shifted to other flights and the non cancelled flights are opened up for sale again.
    ​​​​​
    Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:31 am

Spotted a few longhaul cancellations, such as:

BA79/01July LHR-MCT
    BA80/02July MCT-LHR

BA83/02July LHR-ABV
    BA82/03July ABV-LHR

BA125/03July LHR-BAH
    BA124/05July BAH-LHR

BA173/04July LHR-JFK
    BA112/04July JFK-LHR

BA75/05July LHR-LOS
    BA74/05July LOS-LHR

BA133/05July LHR-JED
    BA132/06July JED-LHR
    Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:37 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by MrsBiggles
    Spotted a few longhaul cancellations, such as:

Out of interest where are you seeing these as cancelled?
    Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
    Only checked the JFK one but showing in the BA app in flight status.

mind you its Independence Day so you can expect a few cancellations on that day
    Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Flying Blue, HH, Melia and many others
    On BA website -> flightstatus section
    Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
    Out of interest where are you seeing these as cancelled?
    flatmate crew-mour and flight status on ba.com.
    Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:10 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by MrsBiggles
    flatmate crew-mour and flight status on ba.com.
    Thanks ^
    Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
    Are delays more likely than usual during the strikes? Specifically on MF routes LHR to USA?

I'm not worried about cancellations but some of my travel timings that week are tight and so I'm trying to get a feel for risks and a Plan B & C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.