Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GOLD
    I'm doing my first exDub TATL flight during the proposed strike. My positioning Flight LHR -DUB is the day before @ 10.35am. The first leg of my trip departs next morning 7.30am back to LHR. I'm now concerned I need a back up plan? Would BA be receptive to me starting my trip from LHR rather than Dublin? I guess too much uncertainty at present but welcome any comments. Thanks
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:45 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by ameripaige
    I'm doing my first exDub TATL flight during the proposed strike. My positioning Flight LHR -DUB is the day before @ 10.35am. The first leg of my trip departs next morning 7.30am back to LHR. I'm now concerned I need a back up plan? Would BA be receptive to me starting my trip from LHR rather than Dublin? I guess too much uncertainty at present but welcome any comments. Thanks
    Your backup plan is surely being rebooked on one of the many BA/EI flights to DUB should your booked LHR-DUB flight be affected. BA won't re-book you to start at LHR in these circumstances.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
    Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM

I was quoted Ł8m as a cost to put everyone's pay up by Ł2k in a year. The company wouldn't budge and then goes and runs up a potential Ł100m bill with the IT fiasco. The expression false economy comes to mind, and a complete disregard for a hard working workforce who, despite being repeatedly told that we perform well, continue to be insulted every time we open our pay packets.
    I don't know if your Ł8m figure is correct (seems about right, though BA may also be thinking about longer term cost when a much higher proportion of CC are on MF contracts), but I've wondered more than once if BA/IAG is prepared to spend more on beating the strikers than it would cost to settle the dispute. Mr Walsh does seem to have had something of an ideological view towards union-breaking over the course of his career.

I wish you well and hope there is satisfactory resolution for the staff (including restoration of travel benefits). While I know not all MF crew are in Unite, I can say that the standard of service I've had from MF crews over the duration of this dispute has remained consistently high.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
    Based on a UK point of sale, 02JUL17 BA165 is booked as follows:

F1 A0 J1 C0 D0 R0 I0 W5 E1 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

This means that BA are willing to sell only one more seat in First, one more seat in Club, five more seats in World Traveller Plus, and nine or more seats in World Traveller. Nine is the most they ever show, but given that they are also willing to sell seats in lower economy fare categories (B/H/K), I'm guessing there are more than nine seats available.

The premium cabins have all sold very well. While you can never be sure on these things, all else equal I'm sure BA would prefer to cancel a lightly loaded service over a heavily sold one if forced to cancel something - and this appears to be a heavily sold flight indeed.

On the return, the flight is more lightly loaded. 12JUL17 BA164

F1 A0 J9 C9 D9 R8 I0 W9 E9 T5 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q0 O0 G0

While First is down to one seat, it looks like well over nine seats are available in each of the other three cabins. That said, I wouldn't worry at all at this point- there is no reason. Worse case, you'll be rebooked the next morning or, with a couple of days notice, but rebooked for an earlier flight the same day. Although I still think its unlikely.

No sense, at all, spending your entire holiday worrying about this. The decision is out of your control anyway. And what's the worst that happens? You spend an extra afternoon in Tel Aviv. The beach is great... just roll with it!
    Many thanks! If we may have to spend an extra night in Tel Aviv and arrive a day later in London it would be good to have a hotel in London that would be understanding ...
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:19 pm
    Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
    I currently have a flight to ORD in the affected period. Holding tight at the moment - especially given the AA options on this JSA route as a backup.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Avios U.K. IHG diamond, Hilton Diamomd
    Booked on 279 to SJC.on July 1. A dummy booking is showing no results for this flight now. Looks like they are already looking to pull this one?
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:26 pm

Just an FYI for everybody.

The BA info page has been updated today - but only to clarify that it is only LHR affected and the majority of flights will go out.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:28 pm

There are all sorts of practice and sensible reasons why the unions do not ask their members to strike down route. Who will pay for the tickets home?on what carrier? How will other union members react to seeing their subs spent on air tickets? Who will cover accommodation down route for those who strike while they wait for their ride home? Will it affect their visa status? This is not the first time that there has been a strike at BA by flying staff, why do you think that they don't ask their members to strike abroad? There are some very creative minds in the unions - these matters have been considered and rejected.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
    Originally Posted by Odiy
    Booked on 279 to SJC.on July 1. A dummy booking is showing no results for this flight now. Looks like they are already looking to pull this one?
    Appears you are correct. Looks like flight to/from SJC gone for first few days of July and then returns (still during early part of strike period).
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
    Appears you are correct. Looks like flight to/from SJC gone for first few days of July and then returns (still during early part of strike period).
    I actually think you are just seeing busy flights to the bay area in the run up to July 4th. the 2nd SFO flight on the 1st is sold out too.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL
    Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
    It's still there but completely zeroed out on the 1st and 2nd at the moment, may or may not indicative but at the moment very much still in the schedule.
    Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by MPH1980
    I actually think you are just seeing busy flights to the bay area in the run up to July 4th. the 2nd SFO flight on the 1st is sold out too.
    seat map is pretty low as well though so suspect my first F redemption could be in trouble. I will await contact and if so try and move a day forward.... unless there are better suggestions.
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:03 am

seat map is pretty low as well though so suspect my first F redemption could be in trouble. I will await contact and if so try and move a day forward.... unless there are better suggestions.
    Just because there are quite a few people in F why would you think your booking is in trouble?
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
    Just because there are quite a few people in F why would you think your booking is in trouble?
    as if the flight is dropped and we all get re-routed! Hopefully not.
    Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:12 am

as if the flight is dropped and we all get re-routed! Hopefully not.
    The flights not affected yet. If you get rerouted then there are plenty of options which should maintain your F seats on another flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.