Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
    Originally Posted by rhivolution
    Indeed. But on the other hand perhaps the MF didn't want to impact people's summer holidays and feel it's better to inconvenience BA to make their point? I don't know. We've not been privy to the internal discussions.
    If that is the case then it is a very poor way to win a battle with BA and would imagine its more Unite who picked the timing and maybe it wasn't so much for the interests of MF as it was for Unite and other things going on!

Who do you think has deeper pockets MF or BA and at the moment MF/Unite are giving BA a head start!
    Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
    Originally Posted by MarkFlies
    The time of the year definitely doesn't help MF.

During Jan/Feb, loads are probably lighter and Thomas Cook, Titan et al probably have spare planes and crew that would be busy if nearer the summer months.
    PRG->LHR yesterday Titan 757 nearly full in both cabins and was the best BA flight this year! Good crew, Titan IFE and a very positive approach to ensuring the BA supplied complementary drinks trolley would go back empty.
    Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
    Originally Posted by MarkFlies
    The time of the year definitely doesn't help MF.

During Jan/Feb, loads are probably lighter and Thomas Cook, Titan et al probably have spare planes and crew that would be busy if nearer the summer months.
    yup correct, we lease a lot of planes out in the winter, we actually used to base them in Canada for winter to use on our old Canadian tour op flights, but as we sold the canadian tour op, they now go on general wet leases.

However in the summer, we will not have a plane spare, normally we have to lease an extra 1 or 2 to cover the demand
    Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
    Originally Posted by UKTony
    PRG->LHR yesterday Titan 757 nearly full in both cabins and was the best BA flight this year! Good crew, Titan IFE and a very positive approach to ensuring the BA supplied complementary drinks trolley would go back empty.
    I couldn't get the Titan IFE to work in Jan - was wondering if it was switched on, despite the announcement saying it was available.
    Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
    Originally Posted by Leeski
    I couldn't get the Titan IFE to work in Jan - was wondering if it was switched on, despite the announcement saying it was available.
    You need to download the app before boarding unless you can get mobile data on the plane before the doors shut.
    Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
    Who do you think has deeper pockets MF or BA and at the moment MF/Unite are giving BA a head start!
    I guess for Unite it's a bit of a double edged sword. They would like to see a couple of thousand MF crew support the strike, but at £60 a day in strike pay that would get expensive very quickly.

I don't suppose that they are short of a bob or two, but not a bottomless pit by any means.
    Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:35 am

We're here in HAM wondering what is going on with our flight to LHR on Saturday. The last BA update said they would provide an update today, but now they have taken the info page down. I'd like to assume that means our flight will go as planned, but I would rather have some certainty...
    Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:13 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Buster
    We're here in HAM wondering what is going on with our flight to LHR on Saturday. The last BA update said they would provide an update today, but now they have taken the info page down. I'd like to assume that means our flight will go as planned, but I would rather have some certainty...
    The strike has already started. If your flight was being cancelled because of the strike you would have been told by now and it would be shown as cancelled in MMB.
    Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
    Originally Posted by UKTony
    You need to download the app before boarding unless you can get mobile data on the plane before the doors shut.
    I downloaded it during boarding - which was surprisingly well-organised but then didn't exactly seem a status-heavy route judging by the number of people who went up at the priority call.
    Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    The strike has already started. If your flight was being cancelled because of the strike you would have been told by now and it would be shown as cancelled in MMB.
    Not necessarily true for flights on Saturday where BA were saying they would only confirm today (Thursday) which flights (if any) were affected.
    Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:28 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Physci
    Not necessarily true for flights on Saturday where BA were saying they would only confirm today (Thursday) which flights (if any) were affected.
    Thanks, seems a different approach to this one compared to previous strikes this year.
    Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Physci
    Thanks, yes, this is why I was concerned. For the last few days, there has been a "check back later" message for Saturday flights, but now the entire page has been pulled down. Rather than getting more info today, we seem to have none at all!
    Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Buster
    Thanks, yes, this is why I was concerned. For the last few days, there has been a "check back later" message for Saturday flights, but now the entire page has been pulled down. Rather than getting more info today, we seem to have none at all!
    I didn't realise there were any strikes going on until I saw this thread! Just checked the BA website and it says:
    Attached Images  
    Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
    Are yet more strikes due to be called this week?

It's like one of those numerical reasoning exam questions, "what dates come next?"
    Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
    This strike appears futile MF are losing pay and the union isn't exactly bringing down the government, who've just won the first by-election "against the head" in over 30 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.