Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
    Originally Posted by Lite
    As with any picket lines or protest lines, it would just be great if you gave us a beep of your horn and wave if you're at the airport those days. That show of support is great when you're freezing cold. I know people have been taking to social media with the hashtag #balowpaynoway. I do know it's very grass roots and I don't even know if BA really take stock of social media, but we've had some lovely support on there already from our frequent fliers.
    Thanks Lite for all your posts

Is there a Union strike fund we can donate to ?
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
    Thanks Lite for all your posts

Is there a Union strike fund we can donate to ?
    WeLoveSpace many thanks for your message. There is a strike fund account. Apparently they haven't done Crowdfunding to make sure that all of the money goes straight into the account. It has been greatly added to by individuals and other Unite branches so far and there are also buckets by most of the picket points to collect money for the hardship fund too.

I hope it isn't falling foul of any social media guidelines so am happy for my post to be edited by moderators but the account is:

Account Name : Mixed Fleet Branch
    Account : 20376387
    Sort code : 60-83-01
    Reference : MFU
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:14 pm
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
    As with any picket lines or protest lines, it would just be great if you gave us a beep of your horn and wave if you're at the airport those days. That show of support is great when you're freezing cold. I know people have been taking to social media with the hashtag #balowpaynoway. I do know it's very grass roots and I don't even know if BA really take stock of social media, but we've had some lovely support on there already from our frequent fliers.
    When/where are you striking? If I am in London at the time I can bring some refreshments and tea and cheer you up a little!
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by nufnuf77
    When/where are you striking? If I am in London at the time I can bring some refreshments and tea and cheer you up a little!
    There's going to be some rally points around Heathrow Central and near to T5 like last week, I believe. Once I know where we end up on the day, I'll be sure to drop you all a message, so long as I can type with my warm gloves on!
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:23 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    I believe that Bedfont Football club will be used as a meeting point for the next strike and I will be there supporting you Lite.
    Ignore the threat of loosing your bonus we were told that we would lose ours but it was given back along with our staff travel with the settlement agreement.
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
    Unfortunately I'm at Gatwick tomorrow rather than Heathrow, but supporting MF all the same! Senior management decisions at BA seem to be exceptionally poor at the moment...
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:34 pm

Sadly, it would be classed as secondary action. We have had a lot of support from
    BASSA though and their members have provided lots of support.
    Pie in the sky but until something like that happens i suspect BA wont take much notice of the strikes. They have skilfully divided the crew into enough groups that one can strike and the others can cover.

Secondary action it may be, but what exactly would BA be able to do about it if all their crew went on strike. It's not illegal to my knowledge.
    Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
    WeLoveSpace many thanks for your message. There is a strike fund account. Apparently they haven't done Crowdfunding to make sure that all of the money goes straight into the account. It has been greatly added to by individuals and other Unite branches so far and there are also buckets by most of the picket points to collect money for the hardship fund too.

I hope it isn't falling foul of any social media guidelines so am happy for my post to be edited by moderators but the account is:

Account Name : Mixed Fleet Branch
    Account : 20376387
    Sort code : 60-83-01
    Reference : MFU
    Thanks Lite ... donation on its way

Do use "IAG shareholder (appalled by the action of BA) donating to MF Strike fund" !!!
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:58 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    That is tantamount to bullying in my book. Sadly, today that is not a surprising modus operandi in the modern BA. It is a damaged brand and those in charge appear not to care.
    indee that is disgraceful. Sadly we seem to live through a period whereby inflexibly barking one's arrogant self-certainty to come across as tough seems to be thought of more highly than listening to the other side to try and achieve the best outcome for all involved.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:00 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by NickB
    Nothing like a Mike Ashley or a Willie Walsh to remind you why it is important in a market economy to have healthy and well-functioning trade unions and a balanced system of industrial relations.
    +1
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
    I went to check in for my LHR-WAW for tomorrow morning and saw I'd been booted out of my selected seats - it's turned into a (presumably Titan) 757 from a BA A320. Thus does mean free food though which I'm happy about. Strike does still seem to be affecting BA despite their claims that it's less than last time.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
    Originally Posted by Leeski
    I went to check in for my LHR-WAW for tomorrow morning and saw I'd been booted out of my selected seats - it's turned into a (presumably Titan) 757 from a BA A320. Thus does mean free food though which I'm happy about. Strike does still seem to be affecting BA despite their claims that it's less than last time.
    It did mean free food and drink for me last week :-)
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:38 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does Titan offer a CE service or is it just one class?
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Does Titan offer a CE service or is it just one class?
    From their website, it looks like the aircraft can be configured with 2-2 seating with the middle seats becoming trays, as on CE. I'm not sure if the service will be the same.

Have also had the folding by text and email
    Flight BA0846 on 19-Jan/LHR - This service is operated by Titan Airways on our behalf. We apologise for any issues this may cause.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:15 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone confirm the meal service?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.