Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
    And the same principle applies to Unite. Are non MF units members happy that their money is being used to fund a dispute that appears to be going nowhere
    I believe they have the principle of solidarity amongst workers. Not an union member myself, nor have I ever been one, but isn't that the whole point of being a member?
    Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:08 am
    V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
    And the same principle applies to Unite. Are non MF units members happy that their money is being used to fund a dispute that appears to be going nowhere
    They'd be remarkably ignorant as to the collective nature of trades unions, if that were the case.
    Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:39 am
    Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
    I am flying out of Heathrow Terminal 5 on the 31st July to Stuttgart and then flying back into London on the 3rd August to catch a connecting to Singapore...do you think any strike will potentially affect these sectors?
    Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:42 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by wolf72
    I am flying out of Heathrow Terminal 5 on the 31st July to Stuttgart and then flying back into London on the 3rd August to catch a connecting to Singapore...do you think any strike will potentially affect these sectors?
    Potentially yes, but probably no.
    Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:59 am
    Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    Potentially yes, but probably no.
    Crap....there goes our European holiday and all our money spent on hotels and football match tickets.
    Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:00 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by wolf72
    Crap....there goes our European holiday.
    ? I said probably no. There are not that many instances of shorthaul cancellations due to use of the QR aircraft.
    Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:13 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    I would say any of the BA Unite members would be happy that money is being spent in this area, because they recognise that if BA wins this one they'll most likely be next on the hit list. On the other hand, if the union at least partly prevails, BA might be more likely to settle expeditiously next time around.

In past disputes, I've seen a certain level of disinterest between the different crew types, but here I perceive that the vast majority of cabin crew who are prepared to discuss it recognise just how shafted MF has been and they are getting enormous sympathy. I find very few cabin crew who are happy with their lot right now.

If you asked the question "How pleased are non-BA Unite members?", given it's such a massive union, maybe you'd have a point - but then, as others have said, that collective spirit is the whole point of belonging to one (not that I am), isn't it?
    Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:31 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted
    Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
    Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
    SJC is MF (and has been affected a bit in previous iterations of the strike), MUC is not.

However, you have a massive advantage in that you will know your flight is affected as an absolute minimum 10-12 hours before you check in as the plane (and crew) have to get over from London. If the worst happened would you be ok getting Caltrain up to SFO? If so then I wouldn't worry, you can easily be rebooked there. Especially as you'll be on the ball enough to check, unlike most of your fellow passengers, so would naturally be first in the queue. Sorry, 'line'
    Thanks. I will monitor the flight and hope for the best. But if it is cancelled, we have no issues with jumping on CalTrain and heading up to SFO (we will be at our daughter's apartment the previous night, within walking distance to the CalTrain station). I guess I should find out beforehand what time the BA desk there is staffed---or maybe the queue starts forming ahead of time?

If we learn of a cancellation the night before, say 24 hours in advance, then might we still have a better chance (shorter queue) at SFO, or should we just go to SJC to talk to the BA staff there? It would make for an interesting evening's entertainment, although I cannot recall if there is anyplace landslide at SJC to get dinner and drinks.

We are flying in J with Avios. If we do have to change to a different flight, will they open up additional award seats for us, or will we have to accept a downgrade in class? Those flatbed seats are pretty important to us on an overnight flight---we are in our 70's and my husband has issues with his back if he sits upright too long (he needs to either stand, walk around, or lie down).

We can wait up to 3 days later to fly if we have to. . . But I should check my travel insurance to see if they cover losses and additional expenses incurred as a result of airline strikes/industrial action.
    Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:08 pm
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by enzian
    If we learn of a cancellation the night before, say 24 hours in advance, then might we still have a better chance (shorter queue) at SFO, or should we just go to SJC to talk to the BA staff there? It would make for an interesting evening's entertainment, although I cannot recall if there is anyplace landslide at SJC to get dinner and drinks.

We are flying in J with Avios. If we do have to change to a different flight, will they open up additional award seats for us, or will we have to accept a downgrade in class?
    There are no BA staff in SJC, only agency staff who deal with BA (and will only be around a certain time before the flight). If you see it's affected the best thing to do will be to call them to switch flights. Try any number you can find to get through to whichever office is open. It sounds as if you can be fairly flexible so have a couple of options to talk through with the agent (obviously rank them in your order or preference, but they will be open to any of SFO same day, other US route connex (with AA) or SJC the next/following day).

You don't need award seats, you just need sale availability in the same cabin. They don't restrict rebooking by fare class in cases of disruption.

And most importantly, try not to worry, the most likely scenario is that your flight will run as planned, you'll have a nice flight and a great time in Europe
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
    Thank you. That is good to know about the award seats.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    I would say any of the BA Unite members would be happy that money is being spent in this area, because they recognise that if BA wins this one they'll most likely be next on the hit list. On the other hand, if the union at least partly prevails, BA might be more likely to settle expeditiously next time around.

In past disputes, I've seen a certain level of disinterest between the different crew types, but here I perceive that the vast majority of cabin crew who are prepared to discuss it recognise just how shafted MF has been and they are getting enormous sympathy. I find very few cabin crew who are happy with their lot right now.

If you asked the question "How pleased are non-BA Unite members?", given it's such a massive union, maybe you'd have a point - but then, as others have said, that collective spirit is the whole point of belonging to one (not that I am), isn't it?
    This is very much the case in my experience. Since the start of the dispute the distrust, hostility and distance between Legacy fleets and MF has completely evaporated. Everyone I know on legacy has either contributed to the hardship fund or/and paid for an online food shop for striking MF crew. I know of one person who paid the outstanding rent for a striker. Even some pilots have been helping out! This is very much a line-in-the-sand moment for most BA employees IMO.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:29 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    To be very honest I was totally against the creation of Mixed Fleet, it was never about the actual crew.
    I totally support my MF colleagues and have contributed to hardship fund and have taken food to Bedfont FC.
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:32 pm
    Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
    Originally Posted by Skimo
    This is very much the case in my experience. Since the start of the dispute the distrust, hostility and distance between Legacy fleets and MF has completely evaporated. Everyone I know on legacy has either contributed to the hardship fund or/and paid for an online food shop for striking MF crew. I know of one person who paid the outstanding rent for a striker. Even some pilots have been helping out! This is very much a line-in-the-sand moment for most BA employees IMO.
    Interesting. And largely suggests that any 'victory' for BA will be a phyrric one, if it leaves most of the workforce completely demoralised and resenting management.

How much damage are they willing to do out of spite?
    Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:41 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    BA will never get back what they have lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.