Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:10 am

I believe strike funding is coming from the central Unite budgets, and being the largest union in the country would imagine they have as deep pockets as they need to for this dispute.

What's interesting is that BA are now going for the rest of the airline's pensions, including ground crew and flight deck. They're talking about closing NAPS entirely.

Coupled with the fact that the strike very much is affecting lots of people in Waterside who are going on to flying duties, rather than getting on with their day jobs.

Whilst there's not the direct customer impact of flights being cancelled, I actually believe that the longer this goes on, the greater the impact to on-going BA operations will be.

Fully support the MF crew here, and good luck to them.
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, OWE Saphire, VS, IB, HHonours, Former Under The Sea Dweller
    Am waiting to see got a flight to LHR from DUS on 4/8/17 @ 18:30 whats the chances of it being cancelled??? And how late in the day can they cancel it? I have another flight the following day non BA?

Last edited by Tuggster; Jul 21, 2017 at 4:23 am
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
    274 (LAS-LHR) cancelled 22/7, EF shows:

"FLIGHT CANCELLED
    INDN"

Is this strike related i.e. INDN=Industrial Action.

Edit: Confirmed by BA that this is strike related - many of the people on that flight are employed by one company which might have future ramifications for BA as they are pushing their staff towards DL/VS.

Last edited by Steve_ZA; Jul 21, 2017 at 11:18 am
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:58 am
    WSM

My flight to LAS cancelled also. BA275 I think it was, maybe BA271 LHR-LAS tomorrow (Saturday 22nd July)
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:34 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by WSM
    My flight to LAS cancelled also. BA275 I think it was, maybe BA271 LHR-LAS tomorrow (Saturday 22nd July)
    It is the BA275 that has been cancelled, the BA271 doesn't usually operate on Saturdays.
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Tuggster
    Am waiting to see got a flight to LHR from DUS on 4/8/17 @ 18:30 whats the chances of it being cancelled??? And how late in the day can they cancel it? I have another flight the following day non BA?
    Well it might be cancelled, or it might not.

Not quite sure why you think anybody on here would have a definitive answer or even a completely speculative notion about this flight right now. We are talking about a flight in two weeks time from now...
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Dave_C
    I believe strike funding is coming from the central Unite budgets
    Does this mean that JC and his mates will be getting a bit less than planned?

As a matter of interest, do unions publish accounts showing their financial situation?
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
    Yes, the unions do publish accounts, and here is the latest update from Unite

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/622928/795T_2016.pdf

While not an expert in interpreting what is contained in these, it would indicate Unite are sitting on a couple of hundred million in the fund.
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
    Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour
    Yes, the unions do publish accounts, and here is the latest update from Unite

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload.../795T_2016.pdf

While not an expert in interpreting what is contained in these, it would indicate Unite are sitting on a couple of hundred million in the fund.
    well BA have a couple of billion no? so i guess they can outlast Unite = )
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
    Likelihood of repeated strikes?

I see the action has been renewed for August 2-16. They seem to keep just rolling over from one period to the next. I know this is asking for speculation, but does the pattern since June indicate that they will just keep renewing the strike in two-week increments?

Due to fly 2 Sept. from SJC to LHR then MUC. I keep reading that there are few long-haul flight cancellations, but I can't help but worry a bit. Thanks for any insight or reassurance.
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:09 pm
    V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
    Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
    well BA have a couple of billion no? so i guess they can outlast Unite = )
    Maybe.

Whether shareholders and investors would view it as a good use of funds remains to be seen.
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:14 pm

BA: We are very sorry to advise you that the following flight in your booking on 25 July 2017 has been cancelled:

BA0166 from Tel Aviv to Heathrow
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:43 pm
    Suspended

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by enzian
    I see the action has been renewed for August 2-16. They seem to keep just rolling over from one period to the next. I know this is asking for speculation, but does the pattern since June indicate that they will just keep renewing the strike in two-week increments?

Due to fly 2 Sept. from SJC to LHR then MUC. I keep reading that there are few long-haul flight cancellations, but I can't help but worry a bit. Thanks for any insight or reassurance.
    SJC is MF (and has been affected a bit in previous iterations of the strike), MUC is not.

However, you have a massive advantage in that you will know your flight is affected as an absolute minimum 10-12 hours before you check in as the plane (and crew) have to get over from London. If the worst happened would you be ok getting Caltrain up to SFO? If so then I wouldn't worry, you can easily be rebooked there. Especially as you'll be on the ball enough to check, unlike most of your fellow passengers, so would naturally be first in the queue. Sorry, 'line'
    Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:07 pm

Ugh. Got a flight on August 2nd from LHR - YVR. Hoping it's not cancelled...
    Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by V10
    Maybe.

Whether shareholders and investors would view it as a good use of funds remains to be seen.
    And the same principle applies to Unite. Are non MF units members happy that their money is being used to fund a dispute that appears to be going nowhere

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.