Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:16 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Greenpen
    The general population [...] firmly believe that BA operates the only restaurant where the waitresses earn more than the customers.
    I don't think that's true.

Honestly, I don't believe I know anyone who thinks either that BA sells super cheap tickets and therefore has poor customers, or that working as cabin crew on any airline in 2017 is exceptionally well paid.

Perhaps my sample of the general population is radically different to yours.
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: BA GOLD
    BA501 today Lisbon - Heathrow - boarding absolutely shocking, usual bus to aircraft. No on-board greeting from crew. no checking of boarding passes - in fact no sign of crew until safety demo.

Row 7F (back of CE) stood up, texted her friend at the back in ET and then up she came with her huge overhead locker bag and promptly sat down in the free 7D stating very loudly that she had a full empty row at the back. The crew did not challenge this in anyway and she enjoyed the full CE service to LHR and then promptly left her friend to transfer with us to T5 whilst aforesaid friend went to baggage claim.

Aircraft absolutely scruffy but on the "brighter side" at least it operated.
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    What an odd way to introduce yourself to the forum, if indeed it is your first post.
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    It wasn't the opinion per se which was odd though, please read what I posted.
    I understand.

There can be multiple interpretations of what we all say......rather than guessing & misinterpreting , perhaps you can tell us what is " odd" and "If indeed it is your first post ".
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:14 pm
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Or perhaps we might be better returning to the core subject ... @:-)

/mod
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:16 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    Or perhaps we might be better returning to the core subject ...
    Indeed. My posts are generally not worthy of such dissection. If HMPS still wishes to discuss then please PM before we bore anyone else any further on this thread
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:43 pm

I've been looking at some domestic flights this weekend, and some appear to be operated by Qatar (but no official notification - just lack of 'M&S food sold onboard' when you check the flight details.

However, all are sold out. What is going on?
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: Various memberships
    Back from OSL on the last BA flight on Monday in Y.

One of the Qatar wet leases.

Crew were great even if they seemed a bit bemused by the whole situation.

Flight was showing as no seats available when I tried to book the day before (but some availability on the earlier 1700ish flight) but we had a few empty seats.

Food served (warm mushroom pastry and a mini Danish) as well as drinks.

Several very bemused passengers who asked repeatedly if they were on the right plane and if it was going to London.

No mention prior to getting to the gate that it was a Qatar plane.

Sorry if this duplicates other posts - not read the whole thread and on my phone.

I suspect no seats were available due to the lower number of seats which could have pushed them into a risk of being oversold if a few flex ticket passengers wanted to change flights.

TE
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
    I don't think that's true.

Honestly, I don't believe I know anyone who thinks either that BA sells super cheap tickets and therefore has poor customers, or that working as cabin crew on any airline in 2017 is exceptionally well paid.

Perhaps my sample of the general population is radically different to yours.
    Senior cabin crew must be on 70,000 gross which is well above what most of the passengers earn.
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:32 pm

Senior cabin crew must be on 70,000 gross which is well above what most of the passengers earn.
    Wow ! That is one eye opening figure. Let me make sure I understand, you are speaking of CABIN crew, (CSD & flight attendants), does not include the pilots etc in the cockpit.
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:36 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
    I knew a CSD back in 2009 on just under 60k (she told me that was highest band or whatever they called it) I can't believe any cabin crew have had another 10k in the last 10 years based in BA's performance around pay.
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
    Originally Posted by HMPS
    Wow ! That is one eye opening figure. Let me make sure I understand, you are speaking of CABIN crew, (CSD & flight attendants), does not include the pilots etc in the cockpit.
    To be clear, no one in mixed fleet earns anywhere close to this, more like 20,000 or less.

And really 70,000 for someone based in London with 20 years of experience in a leadership role is hardly an extravagant salary.
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:42 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by dylanks

And really 70,000 for someone based in London with 20 years of experience in a leadership role is hardly an extravagant salary.
    The CSDs I used to know in my former life in hotels were based predominantly in the West Country, Scotland, France and even Italy. Hence why they stayed in hotels on standby / before / after duty.
    Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by dylanks
    To be clear, no one in mixed fleet earns anywhere close to this, more like 20,000 or less.

Such numbers are common in the US in all kinds of industries.

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
    The CSDs I used to know in my former life in hotels were based predominantly in the West Country, Scotland, France and even Italy. Hence why they stayed in hotels on standby / before / after duty.
    There are people in California who commute 3 hours one way for a lot less......
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Could Unite mess BA about by calling a strike?
    Let BA get everything in place (wet Leases etc)
    Then at the last minute postpone the strike leaving BA with no need for the aircraft they have leased.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:56 am

More strike dates just announced 19th July-1st August inclusive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.