Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:41 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by Jordan D
    Appears CPH will be fine for this bank of strike action with the move to MF not due until after the strikes. Small mercies.
    Whilst there is unlikely to be any disruption to passengers, the fact that CPH is not a MF route does not mean flights to/from CPH will remain unaffected by the industrial action. On previous strikes even JFK had cancellations, and that is a WW sector. Other non-MF routes were similarly affected. BA's contingency plans tend to favour cancelling flights on routes where there are multiple departures each day.
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
    Given the actions during the bank holiday it episode I simply cannot trust this airline to rebook even when they have the legal obligation to. Regardless of the JBA it's like pulling teeth to get them to do a thing. They'll waste a lot of your time and act like they're doing you a huge favor rebooking at best
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
    I'm due to fly to BHD, which is both domestic and MF, so I suspect I'm buggered. Is it worth buying tickets on an alternative carrier as insurance? Wont be the end of the world if I don't fly, but it really is very disruptive.
    You could buy a fully refundable ticket on an alternative carrier just in case.
    Or if you have a fully refundable BA ticket you could cancel that and book with an alternative carrier. Otherwise wait it out of the moment.

I suspect at least some flights across the Irish Sea will not be cancelled. "domestic" in the context of cancellation priority tends to mean mainland GB (which makes sense given the sensible rail alternatives)
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:43 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Tim1975
    You could buy a fully refundable ticket on an alternative carrier just in case.
    Or if you have a fully refundable BA ticket you could cancel that and book with an alternative carrier. Otherwise wait it out of the moment.

I suspect at least some flights across the Irish Sea will not be cancelled. "domestic" in the context of cancellation priority tends to mean mainland GB (which makes sense given the sensible rail alternatives)
    No flights to BHD were cancelled on any of the previous strikes. If I were the OP I wouldn't do anything.

As I noted, in terms of domestic routes it was MAN and ABZ that seemed to have cancellations if any.
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
    Given the actions during the bank holiday it episode I simply cannot trust this airline to rebook even when they have the legal obligation to. Regardless of the JBA it's like pulling teeth to get them to do a thing. They'll waste a lot of your time and act like they're doing you a huge favor rebooking at best
    You don't appear to appreciate the issue BA faced over the bank holiday weekend. It wasn't a case of BA not rebooking (or refusing to rebook) passengers, BA was physically unable to rebook passengers because all of its IT systems were down.

BA have been very good with its contingencies during previous strikes and they have been very good at rebooking those who have travel plans during those periods.
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
    Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    You don't appear to appreciate the issue BA faced over the bank holiday weekend. It wasn't a case of BA not rebooking (or refusing to rebook) passengers, BA was physically unable to rebook passengers because all of its IT systems were down.
    This was only the case on the day of the outage itself. The IT Systems were back up and running on the subsequent days, they must have been, as BA were directing people to the website and call centres which use such systems to do their re-booking.

By pointing people to the Call Centres and Website, BA was making it the passengers problem to solve, and it was a great way to avoid BA paying to re-route on other carriers - by directing passengers to channels which will only support re-booking on BA services.
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Meh
    Just realised I have a flight from SEA on the 19th. Can I call BA to ask to reroute me at this stage? I do not want to be calling BA over the weekend trying o make changes.

Am I right in thinking SEA being MF will have issues?
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:00 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by stevie
    Just realised I have a flight from SEA on the 19th. Can I call BA to ask to reroute me at this stage? I do not want to be calling BA over the weekend trying o make changes.

Am I right in thinking SEA being MF will have issues?
    No, BA will not re-route until the cancellations are actually loaded about 1-2 days before.

SEA is MF. It is possibly it may be affected but based on previous strikes it was the short haul and domestic routes which were more affected. Many MF routes were not affected at all during the previous strikes.
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
    No, BA will not re-route until the cancellations are actually loaded about 1-2 days before.

SEA is MF. It is possibly it may be affected but based on previous strikes it was the short haul and domestic routes which were more affected. Many MF routes were not affected at all during the previous strikes.
    Thanks Karfa, I have to be back for a private commitment and anY delays will not be good.

Why did I not stick to AA
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
    This was only the case on the day of the outage itself. The IT Systems were back up and running on the subsequent days, they must have been, as BA were directing people to the website and call centres which use such systems to do their re-booking.

By pointing people to the Call Centres and Website, BA was making it the passengers problem to solve, and it was a great way to avoid BA paying to re-route on other carriers - by directing passengers to channels which will only support re-booking on BA services.
    And BA were rebooking passengers on to other flights as soon as they were able to do so.
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by stevie
    Thanks Karfa, I have to be back for a private commitment and anY delays will not be good.

Why did I not stick to AA
    I wouldn't worry, there was very little disruption on previous strikes and, IIRC, all passengers were taken to their destinations on the intended day of travel. BA announce their contingency plans in good time for passengers to make plans. Many who on cancelled services are reaccommodated and and notified. If the alternative flights are unsuitable BA will reroute as necessary.
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:17 pm

And BA were rebooking passengers on to other flights as soon as they were able to do so.
    no phone agents were definitely not doing that
    Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:18 pm

perhaps at the airport and even then anecdotes point to this being difficult to initiate unless a jba route.
    Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:42 am

no phone agents were definitely not doing that
    perhaps at the airport and even then anecdotes point to this being difficult to initiate unless a jba route.
    BA did rebook passengers once they were able to do so, there is plenty evidence of that in the dedicated topic on that subject. Let's not derail this topic please, this one is about MF cabin crew dispute and the announced strikes. Any passenger affected by the strikes will be reaccommodated.
    Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:16 am

I wouldn't worry, there was very little disruption on previous strikes and, IIRC, all passengers were taken to their destinations on the intended day of travel. BA announce their contingency plans in good time for passengers to make plans. Many who on cancelled services are reaccommodated and and notified. If the alternative flights are unsuitable BA will reroute as necessary.
    Thanks for this info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.