Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:14 am
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
    I think it's pointless to quote regulations as it seems our laws can be ignored by Judges who can quote "Human rights" and make up their own (as in the case of Pimlico Plumbers V an alleged self employed person who magically became an employee when it suited him). There seems to be more and more grey areas in laws these days with conflicting legislation (ie Human Rights V employment law) being used with Judges deciding rather than Parliament and it needs sorting out.
    But there will always need to be interpretation of law, which is what Judges and the court system are for - to keep it airline related, if a court hadn't ruled that a mech delay wasn't "extraordinary circumstances", airlines would still be pretty much doing what they wanted now.

In the specific case of MF fleet, I have no idea if Unite has any plans to challenge BA's withdrawal of bonus payments for 2016, but if they did it would need the independent judiciary to decide if what BA had done was lawful, given I have no doubt Barristers could present any number of counter arguments depending which part of law they chose to rely on.
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
    Sorry to bring this back to the practicalities, but I thought I read that BA were publishing their contingency plan today? I haven't seen anything. I am flying to MCO from LGW on Friday, so I think I'm highly likely to be affected.

I can't be late for a meeting the next day but I could travel the day before. Would BA switch me to a flight the day before at no cost? I'm a GCH in CW......
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:52 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
    Originally Posted by fourspoons
    Sorry to bring this back to the practicalities, but I thought I read that BA were publishing their contingency plan today? I haven't seen anything. I am flying to MCO from LGW on Friday, so I think I'm highly likely to be affected.

I can't be late for a meeting the next day but I could travel the day before. Would BA switch me to a flight the day before at no cost? I'm a GCH in CW......
    Last time, their plans were published at around 5pm UK time, so maybe today it will be similar.
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Would do you think you will be affected, MF are not based at LGW?
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

The cancelled flights usually seem to be loaded in the evening of the date BA set to publish the plan.

Also LGW routes are not affected, only LHR and only MF routes. Based on that I really wouldn't be concerned with your MCO-LGW flight.
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Would do you think you will be affected, MF are not based at LGW?
    Ah ok thanks, that's relief! I thought LGW was affected, my mistake!
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry

not to MCO its a LGW route, your safe

EDIT: KARFA got there first
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
    I think it's pointless to quote regulations as it seems our laws can be ignored by Judges who can quote "Human rights" and make up their own (as in the case of Pimlico Plumbers V an alleged self employed person who magically became an employee when it suited him). There seems to be more and more grey areas in laws these days with conflicting legislation (ie Human Rights V employment law) being used with Judges deciding rather than Parliament and it needs sorting out.

As has been mentioned before on this thread, Pimlico Plumbers or any other business does not have to be in business, no one is holding a gun to their head. If they find UK law to be too onerous perhaps they should shut up shop or move abroad, I am sure there will be plenty of other companies willing to take their place....
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:09 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I understand, the recent Pimlico Plumbers case was about whether the person was a "worker" (it was agreed by both parties in a lower court that he was not an "employee").

Parliament specifically required the courts to consider this matter by creating a distinction between employees and workers.

There was no mention of any human rights law. I think you may be thinking about a different case?
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:05 am

Four new strike dates just announced 22nd-25th Feb.
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:15 am
    In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    Also LGW routes are not affected, only LHR and only MF routes.
    Guessing I'll be impacted this weekend with VIE-LHR. Will check the BA site later tonight.

Tom in Innsbruck
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:23 am
    McG

Programs: BAEC
    What is the end game to resolve this dispute?

It it seems that as long as the strikes have no major impact on the day to day operation, that BA have no incentive to improve their offer to the MF crew.

With BA not having an incentive to improve their offer, at what point do continued strikes and loss of earnings impact the MF crew to the point where they return to work without an improved offer from BA?

How do MF crew therefore get an improved offer from BA when there is no incentive for the other side to engage?
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
    I flew on Friday (strike) night on a MF route to Basel.

Didn't notice any difference (apart from a gorgeous young lady manning the boarding gate desk, not in BA uniform) and we left only 5 mins late and the CE service was as normal.
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:39 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Originally Posted by McG
    What is the end game to resolve this dispute?

It it seems that as long as the strikes have no major impact on the day to day operation, that BA have no incentive to improve their offer to the MF crew.

With BA not having an incentive to improve their offer, at what point do continued strikes and loss of earnings impact the MF crew to the point where they return to work without an improved offer from BA?

How do MF crew therefore get an improved offer from BA when there is no incentive for the other side to engage?
    How do you know it's not having a major impact on BA, the are many extra costs and our loads are being effected?
    Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
    Never.....

One of the best known corporate negotiators of the 1970s, the General manager of a very large UK Corporate, always said that he would never allow a strike to happen unless he knew how to get the strikers back to work. Even Jack Jones admired this person.
    That Co had a few strikes in those crazy days, but kept itself out of the papers, and always knew how to get the strikers back to work.

However, I'm not sure that BA has negotiators of this calibre, and if they did, s/he would not stay as Willy takes a very personal interest in this stuff, and has had a habit of interfering..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.