Wiki Posts
Search

Guests in First lounge? & other newbie Qs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Guests in First lounge? & other newbie Qs

Hi all,

I'm traveling in F for the first time, and I have a few questions (I already read the Maximizing Your F Experience post).

This is an award ticket with a mixed cabin itinerary: DME-LHR in Economy, then LHR-AUS in F.

1. Will I have lounge access in DME?

2. Can I bring a guest into the lounge? At least in LHR?

3. What should I do if F or J opens up on the DME-LHR leg? Is there a standard process for this? Is the upgrade automatic, or should I call to request it? If not available before check-in, is there anything specific/recommended that I should do at the airport?

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In normal circumstances you would be allowed lounge access in DME, but the lounge there is a third party lounge, and it is possible there could be difficulties there. I wouldn't let that dissuade you from trying. Ditto with the guest at DME. No such issue on the Austin sector, you can guest one person into the Concorde Room.

For upgrades, you can ring up BA or your travel agent to get the full fare repriced for DME-LHR redemption upgraded. I doubt you will get promotional offers online if it's a through DME-LHR-AUS ticket, you could also ask about Airport Promotion fares at DME check-in. Now I don't have a lot of experience of that airport, my impression is that they may not be helpful for the AUP, as they are known here (see Dashboard for a thread on this) on that route.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Nov 4, 2016 at 10:23 pm
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by maximizer
3. What should I do if F or J opens up on the DME-LHR leg?
Since it is an award ticket, you will need to contact BAEC if you booked it using your BAEC Avios, or whichever airline whose points/miles you used to book your ticket and have yourself rebooked in F or J if an award seat opens up in F or J (you will need to monitor the availability yourself though).

It will certainly not be done automatically.

There may be cash upgrade you could pay for at the airport but you cannot pay for an upgrade at the airport with your points/miles/Avios.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:57 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
3. What should I do if F or J opens up on the DME-LHR leg? Is there a standard process for this? Is the upgrade automatic, or should I call to request it? If not available before check-in, is there anything specific/recommended that I should do at the airport?
Did you book this through BAEC with avios? BAEC charges per segment by class, so you would have paid the award rate for DME-LHR in Y and LHR-AUS in F. If J/F award space became available on DME-LHR you would need to call BAEC to change your ticket and pay the additional avios/cash for this.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Did you book this through BAEC with avios? BAEC charges per segment by class, so you would have paid the award rate for DME-LHR in Y and LHR-AUS in F. If J/F award space became available on DME-LHR you would need to call BAEC to change your ticket and pay the additional avios/cash for this.
I should have mentioned that I bought with AA miles, meaning it's not per segment but F pricing for the entire trip.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:06 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I should have mentioned that I bought with AA miles, meaning it's not per segment but F pricing for the entire trip.
Then you would still need to call AA to change your ticket if J/F award space openeded up, and pay the additional taxes/fees/charges. It won't be automatic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.