Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravellerFrequently
Club Europe and EuroTraveller will be launched on UK domestic routes on 01 April 2017.

What does this mean for those of us with existing bookings for travel from April onwards?
  • If your ticket was booked into J, C, D, R, I, or U fare classes, you will travel in the CE cabin and will enjoy lounge access plus the usual fast track benefits and special meal options that come with CE.
  • If your ticket was booked into the Y bucket, you will be rebooked for free into J (Club Europe) and the above benefits will apply. This should happen automatically well in advance of travel. If your ticket was not issued by BA, you should contact the issuing airline to make sure this change is properly processed.
  • If your ticket was booked into B, H, K, M, L, V, N, Q, O, S, G fare classes, you will travel in the ET cabin and all elements of the airport and cabin experience will the same as before.
  • If your ticket was booked into the X fare bucket (economy class redemption), then you will travel in the ET cabin above. However, if this was part of a longhaul club or first ticket, it may be possible to be rebooked for free into the U (Club Europe) bucket. You will have to call BA to accomplish this change.

Earning Avios and Tier Points
  • Q, O, and G class will earn 125 Avios and 5 TP per sector (no change)
  • K, L, M, N, S, and V class will earn 250 Avios and 10 TP per sector (no change)
  • Y*, B, and H class will earn 500 Avios and 20 TP per sector (no change)
  • R and I class will earn 750 Avios and 40 TP per sector
  • J, C, and D class will earn 1250 Avios and 40 TP per sector.
* Existing Y class bookings are expected to be moved to J and will earn the higher Avios rate.

Spending Avios
  • X will be the redemption class for EuroTraveller
  • U will be the redemption class for Club Europe
Print Wikipost

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
Ive four upcoming reward bookings two Club Europe one to Club World and one to first all with EDI-LHR legs on them, all "downgraded" to ET. Called the gold line and was advised we can only have CE on the domestic legs if we pay £88 each for each flight.
This is indeed a bit odd. I've got the same (DOM to CE) and reverse (CE to DOM) and I'm now in CE on all flights. These are U fares. To/from MAN though.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ive four upcoming reward bookings two Club Europe one to Club World and one to first all with EDI-LHR legs on them, all "downgraded" to ET. Called the gold line and was advised we can only have CE on the domestic legs if we pay £88 each for each flight.

I thought I read we could have a switch back to 1C/F from whence we have been removed.
If you were booked in X (rather than U) on the domestic when connecting to a J or F reward booking you will have been put in ET. U would go in to CE. Some folks have had some success calling BA and asking to be put in CE so worth another call. Obviously at the time you booked it didn't really matter whether you were in U or X, but now it does.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by florens
This is indeed a bit odd. I've got the same (DOM to CE) and reverse (CE to DOM) and I'm now in CE on all flights. These are U fares. To/from MAN though.
I too was quoted £88 additional tax to upgrade my domestic to F redemption, but others have been upgraded no problem, and some have reported additional tax and Avios to upgrade, some have had the upgrade gratis. Just depends on who you get on the call, but also probably the original fare bucket (X in my case). No consistency though, which is the main problem.

I wont be paying either, and can survive an hour in ET to LHR with four hours in the CCR to follow before my F TATL.

My only concern is making sure I gain lounge access in GLA before hand.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by florens
Just depends on how they were booked.

It seems if doing a stopover in London the domestic is likely to be in X and therefore classed as ET.

If not doing a stopover the domestic is usually in U but has been reported as being in X as well sometimes. U is being rebooked in CE. In situations where the booking happens to be in X some have reported success in getting BA to rebook in U now.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
I too was quoted £88 additional tax to upgrade my domestic to F redemption, but others have been upgraded no problem, and some have reported additional tax and Avios to upgrade, some have had the upgrade gratis. Just depends on who you get on the call, but also probably the original fare bucket (X in my case). No consistency though, which is the main problem.

I wont be paying either, and can survive an hour in ET to LHR with four hours in the CCR to follow before my F TATL.

I thought I read we could have a switch back to 1C/F from whence we have been removed.

Certainly won't be paying but don't understand why some are keeping CE on reward flights and some are not. The call agent was very pleasant but was unable to tell me what fare class our tickets were and said he'd checked with his supervisor and "it made no difference"

Should I call back again next week? It's only a short flight but just interested in what the true position is.

I was lucky enough to have my ET domestics put into CE. Not sure if it helps, but here is the history of my booking:

Jan 28: Booked 4 F LHR-BOS tickets for mid/late April return. Planned to add on paid tickets in CE for the TP when they opened up.

Jan 29: The girls wanted to check in luggage, so called up BAEC and added on the domestic legs to have it all on one booking. No extra Avios, but additional taxes taken. EDI-LHR booked into X and LHR-EDI booked into U.

Mar 1/2: LHR-EDI now in CE. EDI-LHR in ET, and cancelled a few times with what I expect was some sort of IT glitch.

Mar 4: Called BAEC to query about the cancelled flight (I did know it was already re-booked). Agent said he would re-book into ET. I questioned this and said should it not be in CE because of the connecting F ...went away... came back and said it is ET and that I must have booked CE for the return myself. I explained this wasn't possible in January and that we should either be in ET for both domestics or CE for both, but not a mixture ...went away... on his return he agreed with me and sent it to back office for approval, he confirmed us in CE. Got an email about 2 hours later.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

We're booked on an Avios 2-4-1 NCL>LHR>SEA>LHR>NCL in F, booking was made in Dec-16.

When the CE on Domestic flights came into force on April 1st our booking showed ET on the NCL>LHR sector, but CE on the LHR>NCL sector coming back.

I submitted a request via YouFirst asking for clarification and why we were in CE one way but not the other and its been rectified and we are now CE for both our domestic legs - no additional charges.

Reply from youfirst:

"I'm sorry about that, I have now rebooked you into the Club section of the aircraft, I think our automated re-booking system just missed you somehow. You will receive a reissue confirmation from our ticketing team once they have picked up my request."
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by UTFB
We're booked on an Avios 2-4-1 NCL>LHR>SEA>LHR>NCL in F, booking was made in Dec-16.

When the CE on Domestic flights came into force on April 1st our booking showed ET on the NCL>LHR sector, but CE on the LHR>NCL sector coming back.

I submitted a request via YouFirst asking for clarification and why we were in CE one way but not the other and its been rectified and we are now CE for both our domestic legs - no additional charges.

Reply from youfirst:

"I'm sorry about that, I have now rebooked you into the Club section of the aircraft, I think our automated re-booking system just missed you somehow. You will receive a reissue confirmation from our ticketing team once they have picked up my request."
Thanks for info; I've just submitted my own request to YouFirst and will report back on their response. Fingers crossed !

Enjoy your trip !
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:25 pm

A quick data point for AA award bookings. I just rang up Aadvantage and they moved me from ET to CU even though BA.com shows no availability in my required award inventory (saver award). I was originally booked on a Business/First award on BA/EY/AA with the BA segment from EDI-LHR in ET (X inventory) since that's all that was on offer. I am now confirmed in U inventory which will be good for lounge access and less confusion regarding baggage fees, etc. This is for travel in July. Anyone else in the same boat should give them a call!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Let us know what happens. The thing that has in large part prompted the introduction of a CE cabin is to serve those connecting on to or from long haul F and J.
Update:

Well, after a couple of conversations with You First they are refusing to upgrade our LBA-LHR-LBA sectors from X to U class without the payment of 2 x £35 change fees and 2 x £45.08 taxes total £160.16. (You can buy a lot of M&S sandwiches for £160.16!)

They also said that I should have booked in U class originally on-line - how on earth was I supposed to do this when I wasn't given this option? - I simply booked a First Class redemption LBA-LHR-LAS. Also, the return was booked on the phone with You First as this couldn't be done on-line BOS-LHR-LBA as the return needed to be added to the original booking and they again booked it into X class.

Not happy. Anything I can do?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Phone and speak another agent who'll probably give you a different answer.

But play the "how could I have booked U" card - their system should have done it - it's not your problem.

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Traveller
Update:

Well, after a couple of conversations with You First they are refusing to upgrade our LBA-LHR-LBA sectors from X to U class without the payment of 2 x £35 change fees and 2 x £45.08 taxes total £160.16. (You can buy a lot of M&S sandwiches for £160.16!)

They also said that I should have booked in U class originally on-line - how on earth was I supposed to do this when I wasn't given this option? - I simply booked a First Class redemption LBA-LHR-LAS. Also, the return was booked on the phone with You First as this couldn't be done on-line BOS-LHR-LBA as the return needed to be added to the original booking and they again booked it into X class.

Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Phone and speak another agent who'll probably give you a different answer.

But play the "how could I have booked U" card - their system should have done it - it's not your problem.
I have already spoken to two different agents - the one this morning kept me on hold while he referred it up the line to his pricing team who came back with the above answer.

On ending the call I was advised that the above additional charges had been noted under my booking reference should I decide to call back and proceed with their offer.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:50 am

Thanks for info; I've just submitted my own request to YouFirst and will report back on their response. Fingers crossed !

Enjoy your trip !
So this was my response from YourFirst:

"Dear Mr chris1922Mk2

Thank you for your email

I have looked at your reservation and to move into the Club cabin on the domestic flights there would be an additional tax to pay of GBP44.85 per person and a change fee of GBP35.00 per person. The tax increase applies as this is a premium cabin not paid for on your original ticket.

Please accept our apologies as you cannot be moved automatically into this cabin free of charge and I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

If you want to proceed with the change please call the YouFirst team on 0800 408 7667 who will arrange this for you subject to Avios availability in the Cabin."

So this is actually WORSE than my previous phone call, as they now also want to charge a change fee too ! Previously it was just the tax. I though this was capped for F and J flights ? How can it be more tax for essentially the same itinerary ?
Disappointing to say the least !

As others have mentioned, I'm in the "X" bucket, whereas others are in "U". But I didn't get to choose the bucket. Why do some redemptions get U and some get X ?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
So this was my response from YourFirst:

"Dear Mr chris1922Mk2

Thank you for your email

I have looked at your reservation and to move into the Club cabin on the domestic flights there would be an additional tax to pay of GBP44.85 per person and a change fee of GBP35.00 per person. The tax increase applies as this is a premium cabin not paid for on your original ticket.

Please accept our apologies as you cannot be moved automatically into this cabin free of charge and I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

If you want to proceed with the change please call the YouFirst team on 0800 408 7667 who will arrange this for you subject to Avios availability in the Cabin."

So this is actually WORSE than my previous phone call, as they now also want to charge a change fee too ! Previously it was just the tax. I though this was capped for F and J flights ? How can it be more tax for essentially the same itinerary ?
Disappointing to say the least !

As others have mentioned, I'm in the "X" bucket, whereas others are in "U". But I didn't get to choose the bucket. Why do some redemptions get U and some get X ?
Interesting. they must have been issued a directive on this as I've just got this from YouFirst as a follow-up to my initial query:

"Further to my email on Tuesday our ticketing team have contacted me advising that I have neglected to charge the necessary GBP 35 per person amendment fee, I'm sorry about that. The good news however is that they recalculated your taxes at Tuesday's levels and if we reissue the tickets into Club Europe on the domestic flights you will be getting an overall refund. I am out of the office for a week now but could you please call my colleagues on 0800 408 7667, and they can advise you of all the figures as per my notes in your booking. Thank you in advance."

Its not very clear to me - sounds like its a case of if I pay the £35pp amendment fee then I end up getting a refund overall?? I will have to call them to investigate...

EDIT - just called up and I was right - as taxes have changed I am due a refund of £89 - but to get this I have to pay the £35pp change fee to move us into CE - so I've done this. So the overall result is we have the CE seats and have actually benefited to the tune of £19...very strange but won't complain!

Last edited by UTFB; Mar 9, 2017 at 9:10 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Traveller
Update:

I had the same problem. Booked in U LGW-TFS-LGW in December, but no option for anything other than X for the EDI-LGW-EDI sectors (fine at the time). When I called and spoke to a number of people, I had to pay £35 each to move to U on the domestics. Response to complaint was, tough.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Blue
First a quick Hello! to FlyerTalk and this Forum.

I am still unable to use View and Change for my updated seats after the move from Domestic to CE. The new updated seats are showing on MMB but when I go into the View and Change seat map it's the original seats which are showing along with an "Undefined" tag.

Does anyone else still have this problem?

Is it worth contacting the Help Line at this point or should it clear itself in time? My outward flight is on 24th April.

The flights were part of a BA Holiday package to Barbados.
EDI/LGW
LGW/BGI First
BGI/LGW First
LGW/EDI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.