FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1800457-club-europe-introduced-uk-domestic-flights-launches-01-april-2017-a.html)

bradders81 Nov 7, 2016 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 27447509)
In principle it could be done almost overnight:
Everyone booked in the J/C/D/R/I bucket is considered in business class.
Create the right-sized cabins on all flights according to the existing algorithm for CE.
Reseat all pax appropriately, using the existing curtain change algorithm.
Deal with any oversells following the capacity reduction using existing algorithm.
Crew follow band 1 protocols that they already know (?)
Update the fare tariffs if desired (J/C/D/R/I fares are already loaded, just need to be re-described as business class)
Some cosmetic changes to ba.com
Give a briefing to the outstation staff on how to move the curtains
Increase catering orders

Anything else? :)

I estimate at least a year :p

:D Brilliant!

My thoughts exactly.

cme17 Nov 7, 2016 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 27447509)
In principle it could be done almost overnight:
Everyone booked in the J/C/D/R/I bucket is considered in business class.
Create the right-sized cabins on all flights according to the existing algorithm for CE.
Reseat all pax appropriately, using the existing curtain change algorithm.
Deal with any oversells following the capacity reduction using existing algorithm.
Crew follow band 1 protocols that they already know (?)
Update the fare tariffs if desired (J/C/D/R/I fares are already loaded, just need to be re-described as business class)
Some cosmetic changes to ba.com
Give a briefing to the outstation staff on how to move the curtains
Increase catering orders

Anything else? :)

I estimate at least a year :p

Who would pay for the increase in APD due?

Calchas Nov 7, 2016 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by cme17 (Post 27447568)
Who would pay for the increase in APD due?

Why would any additional APD be due? This is an unexpected upgrade, solely for pax who booked very early. ;)
Excise Notice 550.

2.6.4 Upgrades
[...]

It is only where the passenger has no expectation of, or entitlement to, a free upgrade that it will not take them out of standard class for APD purposes (for example where the passenger gets an upgrade solely because they have booked early).
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...passenger-duty

Okay, it's arguable. It may indeed be a thorn in the side of my grand plan.

On the other hand, how many people are buying J/C/D/R/I fares now for domestic-only travel far in the future? If they are connecting to longhaul, then the APD would not be affected by their domestic sector.

simons1 Nov 7, 2016 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi (Post 27447180)
I have read on here that CE can not be smaller than 3 rows and even if there are too few CE pax and ET is overbooked,BA would op up those ET pax,rather than moving the curtain by 1 or 2 rows?

They could shift people to row 4, seated 3 abreast with food offered to buy and passengers could pretend they are in Y. Oh....hang on....

Rami Tamimi Nov 7, 2016 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 27449303)
They could shift people to row 4, seated 3 abreast with food offered to buy and passengers could pretend they are in Y. Oh....hang on....

Could you clarify a bit please?

AMBurns1512 Nov 18, 2016 11:19 am

I was wondering if anyone had heard any updates on when these tickets might start to go on sale? Need to book a domestic trip for March and Club Europe can often be had at a price not too much higher than ET and the extra tier points help.

edi-traveller Nov 18, 2016 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi (Post 27447180)
I have read on here that CE can not be smaller than 3 rows and even if there are too few CE pax and ET is overbooked,BA would op up those ET pax,rather than moving the curtain by 1 or 2 rows?

Back when GB Airways are a franchise of BA - I once flew on one of their planes (737 or A320 can't remember), and 1AB were Club Europe complete with squished B seat. The rest of the plane was ET - including 1DEF. The even pulled the little curtain behind us. Smallest ever CE?

Rami Tamimi Nov 18, 2016 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by edi-traveller (Post 27498906)
Back when GB Airways are a franchise of BA - I once flew on one of their planes (737 or A320 can't remember), and 1AB were Club Europe complete with squished B seat. The rest of the plane was ET - including 1DEF. The even pulled the little curtain behind us. Smallest ever CE?

So they pulled the curtain behind 1ABC and half of the aisle curtain,but not the other half and behind 1DEF? LOL

Physically ,smallest one would be on Cityflier's Embraers with 1A being CE and 1BCD being ET.

....but if being serious,the smallest BA marketed CE would be on Saab 2000 operated by T3.

Originally Posted by layz (Post 23168661)
So far all my BA CityFlyer flights have been domestic, but I decided that I'd at least try Club Europe on a CityFlyer flight when the opportunity arose.

I've not seen anyone comment on Club Europe on the Saab 2000 operated by Eastern Airways (T3), I was quite surprised to see CE being offered on such a small aircraft but I decided to give it a go anyway.

Quick intro: was travelling HBO so no comments on the bag drop experience. It was also one of the few times I didn't need my laptop, so as I wanted as little hassle as possible I travelled with my iPad and a good old fashioned notepad.

No issues at LCY security, not asked to turn on my iPad. Was a bit slower than usual as I seemed to have got behind people who didn't know the security basics (liquids in bags, belts off, etc) which is unusual at LCY.

Flew on BA4453 which is a 10:30 departure. I'm not sure if LCY uses the same mealtimes as LHR/LGW but that would usually mean brunch. As I booked less than 24 hours before departure I don't know if there's a special meal option on this flight.

The Saab 2000 is a turboprop that seats 50 passengers the livery was plain white with an "operated by Eastern Airways" sticker near the front door.

There was a single member of cabin crew dressed in BA uniform with a BA CityFlyer name badge. I did ask and she is actually an Eastern Airways employee based in Aberdeen. Announcements were in the standard BA style, safety briefing will be the standard Eastern Airways tape that just like the BA audio briefing does not name the airline.

Seats are arranged in a 1-2 layout, so if you take the A seat you get the benefits of (a good sized) window and aisle. There's no curtain separating the CE section from the rest of the cabin (I think T3's own flights are all single class).

Before take off the cabin crew member asked each CE passenger (3 in total) whether they wanted a continental breakfast and what they'd like to drink.

After take off the meals and drinks were prepared in the galley at the rear of the aircraft (there's no space at the front) and brought the previously requested food and drink by tray individually to each passenger. After serving CE a more standard trolley based service commenced for ET.

The breakfast tray was a reasonable sized continental offering, plate of meat+cheese, fruit, pastries, etc.

The aircraft looks just over half full (maybe 30 passengers) so there was enough time to be offered another drink (tea in my case) and had a quick chat with the crew. It's as close to a regular CE service as possible considering the space limitations of the aircraft, catering is provided by the same supplier as BA and is BA branded (got those nice big tea cups).

Arrival at Rotterdam required a short bus ride to the gate then a quick passport check.

I quite like how they made an effort to make CE a special experience despite the limitations meaning the usual features of CE aren't present on these aircraft. I don't think it was worth the difference in fare but it was still a nice experience.

Skipcool3 Nov 18, 2016 4:18 pm

A friend of mine was a dispatcher for GB airways. Sometimes the aircraft had no CE passengers at all, and two CE passengers was not uncommon on the 737.
Remember that row 1 on the 737 was not aligned.....

AMBurns1512 Dec 29, 2016 8:40 am

I'm not sure when Club Europe starts for the UK, but I'm looking at a seat map for a flight in August (LHR-GLA) and there are 8 rows of CE-looking seating, then row 9 and beyond is standard economy layout...

Calchas Dec 29, 2016 8:42 am

Originally Posted by AMBurns1512 (Post 27676124)
I'm not sure when Club Europe starts for the UK, but I'm looking at a seat map for a flight in August (LHR-GLA) and there are 8 rows of CE-looking seating, then row 9 and beyond is standard economy layout...

^ ^ ^

Rumours are for March. However at least BA LHR-EDI does not appear to be updated yet even into August.

Just to be sure you aren't looked at the midhaul A321 sometimes scheduled on this route ...?

GaxxyFlyer Dec 29, 2016 8:47 am

Originally Posted by AMBurns1512 (Post 27676124)

this sounds more like a LH config a321 than domestic CE.

Grab a solo seat if you can!

AMBurns1512 Dec 29, 2016 8:49 am

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer (Post 27676151)
this sounds more like a LH config a321 than domestic CE.

Grab a solo seat if you can!

Sorry, my mistake! You are correct! Oops...

AllTheNines Dec 29, 2016 9:39 am

I've got an F redemption booked for next September including "free" domestic connections to/from MAN.

Do you think I will automatically be bumped up to CE in this case, or will only new bookings be lucky in that sense?

Calchas Dec 29, 2016 9:40 am

Originally Posted by AllTheNines (Post 27676391)
I've got an F redemption booked for next September including "free" domestic connections to/from MAN.

Do you think I will automatically be bumped up to CE in this case, or will only new bookings be lucky in that sense?

I would guess that anyone booked into the J or U fare class now will be in Club Europe when it exists.