Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravellerFrequently
Club Europe and EuroTraveller will be launched on UK domestic routes on 01 April 2017.

What does this mean for those of us with existing bookings for travel from April onwards?
  • If your ticket was booked into J, C, D, R, I, or U fare classes, you will travel in the CE cabin and will enjoy lounge access plus the usual fast track benefits and special meal options that come with CE.
  • If your ticket was booked into the Y bucket, you will be rebooked for free into J (Club Europe) and the above benefits will apply. This should happen automatically well in advance of travel. If your ticket was not issued by BA, you should contact the issuing airline to make sure this change is properly processed.
  • If your ticket was booked into B, H, K, M, L, V, N, Q, O, S, G fare classes, you will travel in the ET cabin and all elements of the airport and cabin experience will the same as before.
  • If your ticket was booked into the X fare bucket (economy class redemption), then you will travel in the ET cabin above. However, if this was part of a longhaul club or first ticket, it may be possible to be rebooked for free into the U (Club Europe) bucket. You will have to call BA to accomplish this change.

Earning Avios and Tier Points
  • Q, O, and G class will earn 125 Avios and 5 TP per sector (no change)
  • K, L, M, N, S, and V class will earn 250 Avios and 10 TP per sector (no change)
  • Y*, B, and H class will earn 500 Avios and 20 TP per sector (no change)
  • R and I class will earn 750 Avios and 40 TP per sector
  • J, C, and D class will earn 1250 Avios and 40 TP per sector.
* Existing Y class bookings are expected to be moved to J and will earn the higher Avios rate.

Spending Avios
  • X will be the redemption class for EuroTraveller
  • U will be the redemption class for Club Europe
Print Wikipost

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It is either Club Europe or it is not Club Europe. I see no reason to tweak TPs, they should be consistent across all markets.
We will see. I imagine BA will do what suits their business model and commercial position, rather than what appears to be 'consistent'.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
What a ridiculous assertion.

The UK will always be "part of Europe."
So technically is a fair chunk of Russia, don't see too many Club Europe flights to Moscow.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
So technically is a fair chunk of Russia, don't see too many Club Europe flights to Moscow.
But you do see plenty to St Petersburg..!
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
The four-class service was introduced on the Domodedovo route because of the sheer demand for the service, not because of a belief in Eurasianism.

LED receives Euro Traveller and Club Europe.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester
There is a movement pushing for this (no pun intended).
Where's the pun?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I suspect fares and service will be comparable to Band 1 routes.

TPs I'm not so sure - I can see them being 20 per sector as opposed to 40 as IB do.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by simons1
We will see. I imagine BA will do what suits their business model and commercial position, rather than what appears to be 'consistent'.
The statement was pretty clear and unequivocal"Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights". There is no mention of 'Club UK' or 'Club Domestic' - simply 'Club Europe'. The CE product is established, the earning rates are established and all BA's domestic flights are within Europe.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
I suspect fares and service will be comparable to Band 1 routes.

TPs I'm not so sure - I can see them being 20 per sector as opposed to 40 as IB do.
Some Scotland flights would fall into Band 2.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The statement was pretty clear and unequivocal"Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights". There is no mention of 'Club UK' or 'Club Domestic' - simply 'Club Europe'. The CE product is established, the earning rates are established and all BA's domestic flights are within Europe.
It was one bullet point in a 129 page presentation.

You may know how it is to be implemented: personally I will await the detail rather than jump to conclusions. At this stage I haven't seen even the basics. It could mean in 5 years time for all we know.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
And how do you propose that passengers should get a clear idea of what they'll get, without consulting a table or calculator?!

You point seems nonsensical given that already TP earnings already vary markedly depending on route and fare class.
How do TPs vary markedly for CE? They are the same for all fare buckets and are 40 TPs per sector. The only exception is the SH+ (greater than 1,000-1,200 mile routes) where CE is 80 TPs per sector. That is double the full Y earning rate. Very simple, very easy to understand.

Same arrangement applies in SA where domestic Club flights attract 40TPs per sector.

Why complicate this? BA want to upsell to CE and to maintain connecting traffic. Why make this more complicated and inconsistent?

Some argue that status is too easy to obtain. The lengthy BMI status match period plus full earning on heavily discounted economy fares were more of a problem - and BA got rid of them. There has been no move to reduce TP earning on discounted CE fares.

BAEC was always pitched at premium cabin flyers and those on fully flexible tickets. BA's current approach seems to be a retrenchment to that position. CE pax are premium pax - so why do anything to discourage them? Indeed why reduce TPs to make status harder to obtain and thereby free up space in the lounge, when the fare itself offers lounge acccess without any need for status? That seems self-contradictory? Unless you believe that there are many passengers who will fly CE to gain status then revert to discounted Y, it is hardly going to make any impact.

In my view, if BA are concerned about lounge access, then remove it from Basic fares. That would fit with basic = LCC, CE=full service model that BA seem to be creating.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by FrancisA
How do TPs vary markedly for CE? They are the same for all fare buckets and are 40 TPs per sector. The only exception is the SH+ (greater than 1,000-1,200 mile routes) where CE is 80 TPs per sector. That is double the full Y earning rate. Very simple, very easy to understand.
You've just proven my point! How would someone who usually flies, say, to HEL know that the TPs are markedly different to OSL, without looking it up in a table/calculator?

Having a lower set of TPs for domestic flights is no different to having a higher set of TPs for certain longer flights. Very simple, very easy to understand, once you look up the rules!

Now I'm not saying BA will do this - they may well award 40. But I completely disagree that it would be some sort of bizarre unfathomable riddle to have a different earning level for U.K domestic than other CE.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
And how do you propose that passengers should get a clear idea of what they'll get, without consulting a table or calculator?!

You point seems nonsensical given that already TP earnings already vary markedly depending on route and fare class.
Has it really come to this? Might I suggest reading the preceding post and the subsequent reply before viewing the latter in isolation.

Better yet, I'll do the leg work for you. If the domestic product is to be marketed as Club Europe, then it ought to have all the benefits associated with CE. Adding an additional layer of reading pleasure is hardly desirable. Some might even say that it would be nonsensical. I couldn't possibly comment

H
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Hoch
Has it really come to this? Might I suggest reading the preceding post and the subsequent reply before viewing the latter in isolation.

Better yet, I'll do the leg work for you. If the domestic product is to be marketed as Club Europe, then it ought to have all the benefits associated with CE. Adding an additional layer of reading pleasure is hardly desirable. Some might even say that it would be nonsensical. I couldn't possibly comment

H
See my post above.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Any information as to when this will happen?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Any information as to when this will happen?
The whole of this thread is based on the single line 'Club Europe to be introduced on U.K. domestic flights'. That is all the presentation says.

Speculation about why BA would want to do this suggests that it feels that it needs to as introduction of BOB will devalue connection experience for premium customers. That would suggest go live for DOM CE at same time as BOB - i.e. Jan 2017.

Rest of presentation makes clear that Club, including CE, is lucrative for BA so if it wants an extra CE revenue stream, DOM CE would make sense without any intent to address the BOB issue.

At the moment no DOM CE fares seem to be loaded. However, BA have recently changed some DOM fare buckets for connecting fares. This may mean that they can easily designate these tickets as CE whenever that starts. If connecting flights are the driving force, BA would sort that out before loading fares for O&D customers.

That's the long, speculative answer.

Short answer is no-one knows outside Waterside.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.