Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravellerFrequently
Club Europe and EuroTraveller will be launched on UK domestic routes on 01 April 2017.

What does this mean for those of us with existing bookings for travel from April onwards?
  • If your ticket was booked into J, C, D, R, I, or U fare classes, you will travel in the CE cabin and will enjoy lounge access plus the usual fast track benefits and special meal options that come with CE.
  • If your ticket was booked into the Y bucket, you will be rebooked for free into J (Club Europe) and the above benefits will apply. This should happen automatically well in advance of travel. If your ticket was not issued by BA, you should contact the issuing airline to make sure this change is properly processed.
  • If your ticket was booked into B, H, K, M, L, V, N, Q, O, S, G fare classes, you will travel in the ET cabin and all elements of the airport and cabin experience will the same as before.
  • If your ticket was booked into the X fare bucket (economy class redemption), then you will travel in the ET cabin above. However, if this was part of a longhaul club or first ticket, it may be possible to be rebooked for free into the U (Club Europe) bucket. You will have to call BA to accomplish this change.

Earning Avios and Tier Points
  • Q, O, and G class will earn 125 Avios and 5 TP per sector (no change)
  • K, L, M, N, S, and V class will earn 250 Avios and 10 TP per sector (no change)
  • Y*, B, and H class will earn 500 Avios and 20 TP per sector (no change)
  • R and I class will earn 750 Avios and 40 TP per sector
  • J, C, and D class will earn 1250 Avios and 40 TP per sector.
* Existing Y class bookings are expected to be moved to J and will earn the higher Avios rate.

Spending Avios
  • X will be the redemption class for EuroTraveller
  • U will be the redemption class for Club Europe
Print Wikipost

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:18 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by simons1
In theory it makes sense. In practice I wonder if it really will be 80TP. 8 CE returns to Manchester = silver - that might not be what BA is trying to achieve in terms in lounge usage etc.
I keep seeing people speculating that it won't be 80TP for CE on domestic routes for various reasons. So you suggest that BA will not want people to earn status buying CE fares on domestic routes, even though they are quite happy for people to earn status buying the sames fares on shorter routes to JER, CDG, AMS, etc.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by gms
I keep seeing people speculating that it won't be 80TP for CE on domestic routes for various reasons. So you suggest that BA will not want people to earn status buying CE fares on domestic routes, even though they are quite happy for people to earn status buying the sames fares on shorter routes to JER, CDG, AMS, etc.
Yes. Or that there will be some other tweaking of TPs on shorter routes nearer the time.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I wonder whether full fare Economy will still be classed as Business UK?

Unless they intend for there to be lots of rows of CE on Domestic (with the consequent reduction in capacity of losing the middle seat) that's a lot of people losing lounge access who previously flew on full fare Economy.

Many companies won't pay for a true business class in the UK and Biz UK was a good way to con the accounts department into paying a business class amount for an economy seat.

When BMI had business class the full fare J and full fare Y fares were the same - only the tax made the difference.

So BA could do the same. Full fare CE and Full Fare Y same price - Full Fare Y gets lounge access but BOB?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Yes. Or that there will be some other tweaking of TPs on shorter routes nearer the time.
But if you do that, you significantly devalue Club Europe and make the product very inconsistent.

At present all CE flights offer lounge access, checked luggage, 2x2 seating, full food and beverage service. They also all offer double the full economy entitlement to TPs and 50% avios cabin bonus.

What you are suggesting would lead to an inconsistent product. Previously band 4 and over 1200 mile flights were different due to more substantial catering and double TPs. But the same was true of Y. With the move to BoB catering, Band 4 CE catering is pretty much Band 3 with a menu. TP earning remains the same. In other words BA has acted to ensure that the CE différence to ET remains consistent.

My final point would be why would BA introduce reduced TPs for DOM (and band 1)? I am sure there are some who believe BA are changing things just to punish or inconvenience their passengers. Others (me included) see BA are making sensible changes based on rational decision-making which will not adversely affect the attractiveness of their products. Current financial results seem to bear that out.

Why then introduce full CE? Because after introduction of BOB, the DOM offer will be unattractive as a connecting flight or to a well-healed market that will pay a premium for short distance business class flights. Why mess with that? I can get JER return for £200 and earn 80TPs. MAN is going to be about the same I guess. Why not make the TPs the same. Only ardent FTers fly to places they don't need to and if additional TPs encourage an upsell to CE, BA would welcome that.

The lounge problem was more about overly generous discounted Y earning, not CE. Why do you think all CE flights continue to earn the same regardless of fare bucket?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but how would CE work on a domestic?

120 people on a morning EDI-LHR flight won't get on the plane if there's a good % wanting CE.

Only for those with specific connections?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Well there will be 12 extra seats at least.....
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:04 am
gms

OK. But you still haven't explained your logic as to why BA would do this now, given that they have operated other shorter routes for many years without any question of varying TPs for those routes.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by gms
OK. But you still haven't explained your logic as to why BA would do this now, given that they have operated other shorter routes for many years without any question of varying TPs for those routes.
Because its a logical time - it wouldn't be hard to introduce a new tier of TPs for CE domestic flights.

Still at this stage it is all speculation really.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:09 am
gms

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
I wonder whether full fare Economy will still be classed as Business UK?
Extremely unlikely in my opinion. It would be inconsistent with the wider product offering (i.e. routes with J & Y cabins). Business UK was only offered since it was a single cabin product. So it will be the same as other routes - Club Europe gets lounge access irrespective of status, Y tickets will only get lounge access based on pax status. Why should it be any different?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: All the best ones.
New BA becomes more like old BMI (BMI introduced BoB, domestic Business seats )

Instead of copying the service standards of defunct airlines: Customers would probably prefer BA to emulate TK (Turkish Business Class), ER (Emirates First Suites), QR (Facilities and Al Mourjan Lounge) or even VS (Virgin Atlantic amenities).
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xenole

120 people on a morning EDI-LHR flight won't get on the plane if there's a good % wanting CE.

I can't see how you get 120 passengers. If there were 12 rows of CE on EDI-LHR (in which case Señor Cruz will be reading up on the Urban Dictionary) then there would be 48 passengers, with 24 empty seats. Even on a 767 there won't be scope for much more, and it has a different seating logic anyway, the maximum blocked seats there is 15. Now on BA's other routes this works well, both CE and ET seat prices will go up to reap the benefit of constrained supply.

What actually will happen is that on peak services then DUT will be upgrading some ET passengers so that the ET cabin will be filled up - just as happens now elsewhere in Europe.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
I would expect they do the same as for domestic routes on peninsular Spain operated by IB, where Business Class earns 20TP. However, this would also mean that Eco earnings will be cut by half (10TP for flex i.e. YBH, 5TP for the other fare classes).
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would presume exactly the same way it works everywhere else. Blocked middle seat, a curtain, some sort of meal, and free drinks. Open to anyone who wants to pay for it, and those connecting to longhaul J and F.

The reason I presume this is that they called it "Club Europe". If they were proposing to offer a different service to the rest of the CE routes, my view is that it would have been announced differently, like "improvements to Business UK" or "Club UK".

If there is a fall in passenger capacity that is acceptable if the average fare paid rises. And with discount CE fares being above discount Y fares that's fine.

Originally Posted by FrancisA
My final point would be why would BA introduce reduced TPs for DOM (and band 1)?
I agree with your argument in general. The only reason I would expect fewer tier points is that within continental Spain and on business UK the tier points are already 50% of normal. So there is no inconsistency in extending that approach. But tier points are cheap to give away so there is no skin of BA's back to give out some points.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

They will reduce available seats in the lowest fare buckets until supply equals demand. Its simple revenue management.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Calchas
I agree with your argument in general. The only reason I would expect fewer tier points is that within continental Spain and on business UK the tier points are already 50% of normal. So there is no inconsistency in extending that approach. But tier points are cheap to give away so there is no skin of BA's back to give out some points.
Well there is an inconsistency anyway, since JER, which is and will be just about the shortest CE route, is currently on 40 TPs. But 20 TPs would seem a reasonable approach to me. If it's 40 TPs then that falls well into the "too good to be true" category, I'd be getting 240 TPs on trips like NCL-ATH return. That said, for quite a while IB codeshares on BA domestics could get 40 TPs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.