FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1800457-club-europe-introduced-uk-domestic-flights-launches-01-april-2017-a.html)

Worcester Dec 31, 2016 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by MarkFlies (Post 27685233)
Will it definitely happen?

Maybe they're waiting to see if they get lots of complaints from Club and First connectors about having to pay for drinks. If they don't, happy days, leave it as it is.

Last I heard was they had told shareholders they were going to do. I have seen comments on here that it's due in march, so sounds definite (until proven not to work and quietly reversed).

Calchas Dec 31, 2016 12:57 pm

From the 2016 shareholders meeting:
Alex Cruz: In Club, as I was mentioning to you before, we are not just investing in Club World, as I was saying, but we are going to reintroduce Club in domestic flights. We believe that there is an opportunity to serve many of our customers which today are either point to point from Heathrow but also connecting on longer-haul flight. We will be reintroducing Club class in domestic flights next year.
Subsequent questions:
Alexia Dogani (Goldman Sachs): Thank you. I also had three questions. Just firstly, I am interested in the comments Alex made about their investment in Club in the domestic BA network. I remember a couple of years ago, I think Willie you said that you felt that there was a bit of structural change in the premium cabin in Europe. Do you still feel the same?
[...]

Willie Walsh: Okay. It is like premium short-haul. It was funny. Again, I was looking at the slide there is that we are going to extend Club Europe to UK Domestic. I thought that is funny we have a note to leave Europe and we are going to take the UK Domestic market Club Europe. We are going to call it Club Brexit or something like that.

I do not think I was wrong. The levels of demand for the premium product in short-haul are structurally lower than it was historically. I do not whether it has bottomed out. It has probably recovered a little from where it went to. You got to remember though that there is a big difference in the yield we are getting to what we historically got. It is not just the combination. It is the combination of the demand and the yield. There is still definitely a case which is what I have always felt for BA to retain that product. That has been proven. We have said that overtime. I think with Aer Lingus when I was there, it was not a decision that I took when I was at Aer Lingus to remove the premium short-haul product. It was clear that the trends in Ireland were very different and that the demand was going to disappear.

I don’t know, Stephen, whether you want to comment on that from an Aer Lingus point of view. I think BA, because of the market of which it operates at Heathrow, there will always be sufficient demand to justify the product. The volumes that we have seen, they are much more price sensitive than it would have been historically. Therefore, it is not something that there is going to be huge investment in.

Stephen Kavanagh: [Here I believe speaking about Aer Lingus] Just to confirm that, we do not have that level of absolute demand that justified the reinstatement of a cabin, but what we are looking is something that Vueling has done with the seat free in the first number of rows. It is a proxy for a cabin but without for us the complexity or the cost, and the yield expectations are moderate in that regards. I think it is a case of cutting one’s cloth. What is appropriate for BA is obviously a different demand environment in the London market. I can see, obviously, with flow onto long-haul services, consistency in business product, is of real value. That is just not appropriate for the Aer Lingus market. We are looking to differentiate and segment just in different ways.
The transcript is at the following memorable URI: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...55959849748487

gw76 Dec 31, 2016 5:20 pm

wasnt the staff ratio in the 'good old days' of full 757's and 767's serving hot mesls and drinks to everyone higher then?

Skipcool3 Dec 31, 2016 8:22 pm

Yes. As posted by me earlier, the crew numbers have come down.
Think it was seven crew on a 757 (185 seats ish max) -now four on an A320

sheppy26 Jan 4, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious as to what might happen in my scenario, and wondered what your thoughts were - I am looking to book a flight from EDI to LHR at the beginning of April and have the option of either paying cash or avios on the preferred flight. I have just done a dummy booking and it looks like a mid-haul a321 has been rostered as the front CW cabin is available to me to select seats. This would be nice as I would be travelling with someone for who a proper business class style seat would be something that they would not normally experience. My concern though is that if I book and select the seats now, and BA subsequently introduce Domestic CE before the flight, will we be booted out? Would method of payment have any affect on this? I am pondering that any introduction wouldn't happen before Easter as it doesn't give them very long to market the new service etc and to get punters sucked in? Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sheppy

Calchas Jan 4, 2017 9:24 am

Originally Posted by sheppy26 (Post 27702911)
Hi Everyone,

I'm curious as to what might happen in my scenario, and wondered what your thoughts were - I am looking to book a flight from EDI to LHR at the beginning of April and have the option of either paying cash or avios on the preferred flight. I have just done a dummy booking and it looks like a mid-haul a321 has been rostered as the front CW cabin is available to me to select seats. This would be nice as I would be travelling with someone for who a proper business class style seat would be something that they would not normally experience. My concern though is that if I book and select the seats now, and BA subsequently introduce Domestic CE before the flight, will we be booted out? Would method of payment have any affect on this? I am pondering that any introduction wouldn't happen before Easter as it doesn't give them very long to market the new service etc and to get punters sucked in? Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sheppy

I would expect you to be ejected from the front cabin if the service goes two-class and you hold only a Y ticket.

One option would be to buy an Avios ticket, and cancel it if there is a cabin change.

orbitmic Jan 4, 2017 9:38 am

I'd say that between now and April, there is at least 50% chance that the midhaul assignment won't stick.

sheppy26 Jan 4, 2017 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 27703285)
I would expect you to be ejected from the front cabin if the service goes two-class and you hold only a Y ticket.

One option would be to buy an Avios ticket, and cancel it if there is a cabin change.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking - fingers crossed though that the a/c sticks!

sheppy26 Jan 4, 2017 10:09 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 27703368)
I'd say that between now and April, there is at least 50% chance that the midhaul assignment won't stick.

I hope that booking it won't tempt fate!

simons1 Jan 4, 2017 11:09 am

Originally Posted by sheppy26 (Post 27702911)
Hi Everyone,

Cheers

Sheppy

Booted out is a harsh way of putting it, however if it's sold as a 2 class service and you only have a Y ticket I would expect you to be 'relocated' to the seating for which you have paid.....

You might be OK though, I would be surprised if the UK Business introduction happened by then. Apart from 1 line in an investor presentation I don't recall hearing anything about it.

World Traveller Fuss Jan 14, 2017 5:00 pm

I notice some 'D' class tickets surfacing on domestic connecting sectors around April. Signs that Club Europe UK is being introduced imminently? What might this mean for tier points?

navylad Jan 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss (Post 27761889)
I notice some 'D' class tickets surfacing on domestic connecting sectors around April. Signs that Club Europe UK is being introduced imminently? What might this mean for tier points?

Indeed my concern would be TP in keeping with IB domestic and subsequent downgrading of LGW-JER

bafan Jan 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by navylad (Post 27761897)
Indeed my concern would be TP in keeping with IB domestic and subsequent downgrading of LGW-JER

Since Jersey isn't in the U.K., this shouldn't be an issue...

FlyingScientist Jan 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by navylad (Post 27761897)

The big difference being that Madrid is not in some remote corner of the country.

Calchas Jan 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss (Post 27761889)

If you're looking at Club Europe fares, they changed those to book into the prime bucket on domestic sectors some time ago. Previously they booked into J in the United Kingdom, in line with all longhaul premium fares including WT+.

orbitmic Jan 15, 2017 12:35 am

I think a bigger concern is that BAEC might stop throwing domestic connections for free on long haul award itineraries.

madfish Jan 15, 2017 12:46 am

Was looking at some existing bookings las night. On a LHR/MAN flight I was originally in 1A. Within the space of a few minutes this went to no seat allocated, to 6A and then back to 1A. Unfortunately this is booked in fare code O so expect to be moved if business U.K. srarts before May even though booked as part of an I fare booking to TLL.

flygod Jan 15, 2017 1:58 am

Orbitmic,

Domestic connections are not free!

They cost about £50 extra on Avios flights (yes, not more Avios, true, but extra fees and surcharges).

Easy jet to LGW is £67 and BA is £77 on normal advance fares, less on sales.

(Although I appreciate that only BA flies to LHR, so you are stuffed there)

But domestic connections are not "free"!

ps.

And often the domestics are not loaded at T-355 or whatever, so then there is a fee to ad them on to a booking. So that makes the price even higher than just purchasing a BA domestic.

But now, if you buy a separate BA domestic ticket, there is no connection protection!

Means I now book Easyjet to Madrid - tickets the same price as London - and connect there!

GlasgowBlue Jan 15, 2017 2:05 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 27763152)
I think a bigger concern is that BAEC might stop throwing domestic connections for free on long haul award itineraries.

Given that "cost cutting is now in BAs DNA", I suspect this is only a matter of time. Once CE on domestic flights is fully rolled out I'd be very surprised if domestic connections for long haul premium cabin redemptions (WT+ and up) continue book into J, and I suspect the same will apply to a cash bookings.

KARFA Jan 15, 2017 2:38 am

Originally Posted by madfish (Post 27763169)
Was looking at some existing bookings las night. On a LHR/MAN flight I was originally in 1A. Within the space of a few minutes this went to no seat allocated, to 6A and then back to 1A. Unfortunately this is booked in fare code O so expect to be moved if business U.K. srarts before May even though booked as part of an I fare booking to TLL.

Just checked some of my bookings which have domestic sectors. These are from April onwards and all the way to August. No seating changes, still in 1A for all flights.

nei1c Jan 15, 2017 3:03 am

Originally Posted by madfish (Post 27763169)

I managed to get the domestic leg of my TLL ticket forced into fare code I. It cost a bit more than the N alternative so I'm hoping we'll have business UK by June. Either way I'll at least get the lounge access as my silver card will be gone by then.

KARFA Jan 15, 2017 3:06 am

Originally Posted by nei1c (Post 27763453)
I managed to get the domestic leg of my TLL ticket forced into fare code I. It cost a bit more than the N alternative so I'm hoping we'll have business UK by June. Either way I'll at least get the lounge access as my silver card will be gone by then.

I class does not currently give rise to lounge access on a domestic flight. Only selling classes Y and J do.

nei1c Jan 15, 2017 3:24 am

Ah that could have been an expensive mistake on my part then.

Skipcool3 Jan 15, 2017 3:37 am

Wait and see....

....time for Alex to Go....

gw76 Jan 15, 2017 3:51 am

....Alex aint going anywhere. :rolleyes:

Worcester Jan 15, 2017 4:55 am

Originally Posted by gw76 (Post 27763559)
....Alex aint going anywhere. :rolleyes:

Along with a number of his passengers on strike days....

I fares are discounted business are they not and they are what my domestic connections book into on CE bookings with domestic legs. I would have though they should eventually book into domestic CE.

They certainly get me 20tps per leg, but then again if I do a multicity booking they only get me 5tps.

florens Jan 26, 2017 3:34 pm

If this has been asked and answered before, I do apologize.

I booked a reward flight (July) ZRH-LHR-MAN where ZRH-LHR is in CE and LHR-MAN is in Domestic.

What happens to reward bookings as soon as there will be a CE cabin on domestic flights?

Will I sit in the economy or business cabin with this booking?

Tobias-UK Jan 27, 2017 1:24 am

Originally Posted by florens (Post 27822501)
If this has been asked and answered before, I do apologize.

I booked a reward flight (July) ZRH-LHR-MAN where ZRH-LHR is in CE and LHR-MAN is in Domestic.

What happens to reward bookings as soon as there will be a CE cabin on domestic flights?

Will I sit in the economy or business cabin with this booking?

As each sector is 'priced' separately on European redemptions you will have redeemed a CE flight for ZRH-LHR with an economy redemption for LHR-MAN. On that basis you would be seated in the economy cabin unless you upgrade to Club and hand over the additional Avios.

florens Jan 27, 2017 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 27823992)
As each sector is 'priced' separately on European redemptions you will have redeemed a CE flight for ZRH-LHR with an economy redemption for LHR-MAN. On that basis you would be seated in the economy cabin unless you upgrade to Club and hand over the additional Avios.

Just as I thought, thank you Tobias-UK.

PeacefulWaters Jan 27, 2017 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 27823992)

Yes, I'm rather hoping my first redemption to Boston commencing in the frozen north will have me in a CE seat come June.

Although for the 35 minutes in the air I really shouldn't worry.

csdavidson Feb 3, 2017 5:09 am

Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters (Post 27824360)
Yes, I'm rather hoping my first redemption to Boston commencing in the frozen north will have me in a CE seat come June.

Although for the 35 minutes in the air I really shouldn't worry.

Me too. I've just booked 4 of us in F to Boston for mid-April, although unclear if CE will be running on domestics by then. At the moment I can't book anything further than row 12 on the 767 from EDI.

I agree that on a short flight it doesn't make much difference, but it would be nice to kick start the holiday with CE domestic.

I think it would be a shame if longhaul CW/F redemptions did not book into CE domestic.

FrancisA Feb 3, 2017 5:18 am

Originally Posted by csdavidson (Post 27859307)
Me too. I've just booked 4 of us in F to Boston for mid-April, although unclear if CE will be running on domestics by then. At the moment I can't book anything further than row 12 on the 767 from EDI.

I agree that on a short flight it doesn't make much difference, but it would be nice to kick start the holiday with CE domestic.

I think it would be a shame if longhaul CW/F redemptions did not book into CE domestic.

Galley FM reckons Club on domestic flights will start in March. Heard this from two different crews so either it is spreading like wild fire or there is some factual basis to it.

GlasgowBlue Feb 3, 2017 5:30 am

No idea if it's relevant, however I booked GLA > LHR > CPH and return as one booking back in November last year for travel this weekend. LHR <> CPH segments booked into I class tickets, the domestic legs booked into H.

Booked GLA > LGW > ALC and return during January for travel in July this year and all legs have booked into I class tickets.

Both journeys were booked selecting the "lowest price" drop down on BA.com.

GlasgowBlue Feb 3, 2017 5:35 am

Originally Posted by csdavidson (Post 27859307)

I may be completely off the mark, however given BAs current strategy regarding cutting costs and maximising revenue I strongly suspect this will be an "option" for longhaul premium cabin bookings originating in the regions. £50 per person, per domestic leg to upgrade from standard domestic with BoB to domestic CE with lounge access, free snacks and drinks?

Calchas Feb 3, 2017 5:46 am

Might be an option on CE. I doubt it would be on longhaul.

chris1922Mk2 Feb 3, 2017 5:50 am

Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue (Post 27859371)
I may be completely off the mark, however given BAs current strategy regarding cutting costs and maximising revenue I strongly suspect this will be an "option" for longhaul premium cabin bookings originating in the regions. £50 per person, per domestic leg to upgrade from standard domestic with BoB to domestic CE with lounge access, free snacks and drinks?

If your connecting from a domestic to an F/J flight, should you not get lounge access in the regional airport anyway ?

Bat 21 Feb 3, 2017 6:18 am

Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2 (Post 27859411)
If your connecting from a domestic to an F/J flight, should you not get lounge access in the regional airport anyway ?

I would have said yes - it always worked that way for me when I was a Blue/Bronze - given access to the NCL lounge on my way to connect to a Club World flight at LHR.

KARFA Feb 3, 2017 6:19 am

Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2 (Post 27859411)

Yes.

Neilgcal Feb 17, 2017 8:10 am

1st of April (if not an April fools day joke!!) seems to be the date.

Just read this article.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/02/17/british-airways-domestic-flights-club-europe-launch/

Worcester Feb 17, 2017 8:35 am

Now news on TPs, and I wonder how they will do they F&B or what will even be available?