Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravellerFrequently
Club Europe and EuroTraveller will be launched on UK domestic routes on 01 April 2017.

What does this mean for those of us with existing bookings for travel from April onwards?
  • If your ticket was booked into J, C, D, R, I, or U fare classes, you will travel in the CE cabin and will enjoy lounge access plus the usual fast track benefits and special meal options that come with CE.
  • If your ticket was booked into the Y bucket, you will be rebooked for free into J (Club Europe) and the above benefits will apply. This should happen automatically well in advance of travel. If your ticket was not issued by BA, you should contact the issuing airline to make sure this change is properly processed.
  • If your ticket was booked into B, H, K, M, L, V, N, Q, O, S, G fare classes, you will travel in the ET cabin and all elements of the airport and cabin experience will the same as before.
  • If your ticket was booked into the X fare bucket (economy class redemption), then you will travel in the ET cabin above. However, if this was part of a longhaul club or first ticket, it may be possible to be rebooked for free into the U (Club Europe) bucket. You will have to call BA to accomplish this change.

Earning Avios and Tier Points
  • Q, O, and G class will earn 125 Avios and 5 TP per sector (no change)
  • K, L, M, N, S, and V class will earn 250 Avios and 10 TP per sector (no change)
  • Y*, B, and H class will earn 500 Avios and 20 TP per sector (no change)
  • R and I class will earn 750 Avios and 40 TP per sector
  • J, C, and D class will earn 1250 Avios and 40 TP per sector.
* Existing Y class bookings are expected to be moved to J and will earn the higher Avios rate.

Spending Avios
  • X will be the redemption class for EuroTraveller
  • U will be the redemption class for Club Europe
Print Wikipost

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Boten
It is quite easy. You just upgrade all Y pax into the J cabin and then continue to sell Y class as economy. Whoever is a current Y class holder will have their booking class changed.
Exactly! Just like AA did on the recent F->J downgrade on domestic 2 class.

I can't see Y staying as Club Europe for U.K. only. It makes sense to be consistent.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Calchas
No competition for connecting traffic. No other network airline flies to JER except AB and EI on a seasonal and infrequent basis. So why bother?

I suppose BE could in theory offer some feed via MAN to a network player. But I doubt that'll leave BA quaking in their boots.
I think that is right and a couple of other things strike me.

If 2 out of the 6 flights went to LHR, connecting demand would be huge. There would be far more CE than Y, I imagine. The price of O&D fares on the route would probably have to be huge and even that wouldn't help.

Many would feel hard done by and flying to LHR would be seen as some sort of status symbol.

At present the BA LGW flights are neatly spread out across the day and all operate pretty full. JER has runway length restrictions so bigger planes are not an option. However, if you put on 767s or eventually A350 to LHR twice a day, you'd kill the LGW flights. So we would be back to large price differential to LHR.

AFAIK when BA operated JER to LHR, they did not also fly to LGW. BCal and DanAir did operate that route. Not sure about Jersey Airlines.

Suffice to say, for BA only real option would be to move all JER flights to LHR, but that is a lot of slot pairs many at peak times.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I think that is right and a couple of other things strike me.

If 2 out of the 6 flights went to LHR, connecting demand would be huge. There would be far more CE than Y, I imagine. The price of O&D fares on the route would probably have to be huge and even that wouldn't help.

Many would feel hard done by and flying to LHR would be seen as some sort of status symbol.

At present the BA LGW flights are neatly spread out across the day and all operate pretty full. JER has runway length restrictions so bigger planes are not an option. However, if you put on 767s or eventually A350 to LHR twice a day, you'd kill the LGW flights. So we would be back to large price differential to LHR.

AFAIK when BA operated JER to LHR, they did not also fly to LGW. BCal and DanAir did operate that route. Not sure about Jersey Airlines.

Suffice to say, for BA only real option would be to move all JER flights to LHR, but that is a lot of slot pairs many at peak times.
BD tried it flying Embrears
Didnt work; maybe the wrong economies of scale
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by allturnleft
BD tried it flying Embrears
Didnt work; maybe the wrong economies of scale
The reason BD failed was precisely because of the strength of BAEC. The regulars were still travelling JER-LGW-LHR-XXX even when there was a perfectly timed JER-LHR BD service.

It initially started using a combination of A319s/320s, before gradually being wound down to Embraers.

I think BA would do decent business to all three of LHR, LGW and LCY from JER. But I guess only they know the true numbers...
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
The reason BD failed was precisely because of the strength of BAEC. The regulars were still travelling JER-LGW-LHR-XXX even when there was a perfectly timed JER-LHR BD service.

It initially started using a combination of A319s/320s, before gradually being wound down to Embraers.

I think BA would do decent business to all three of LHR, LGW and LCY from JER. But I guess only they know the true numbers...
Not so much the strength of BAEC as the BA route network and the converse for BD. Why risk misconnect issues for the sake of an hour on the coach?

I am sure there would be business on LHR and LCY routes, but would it make things better or just fragmented? Also, while Jersey has a substantial financial services business, does it need to get to the City or Canary Wharf? For the City LGW trains run to the doorstep making LCY less attractive.

To my mind JER needs frequency with reasonable connection options. Fragmenting flight across airports may actually dilute the effective frequency. Hence I see it as LGW or LHR, not both with LCY thrown in for good measure.

Bear in mind the Channel Islands represent quite a limited catchment area. One surprise to me at least is that BA do not fly to GCI, especially since the runaway was extended to take A319s/737s. Surely one or two flights a day would hardly operate empty?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bear in mind the Channel Islands represent quite a limited catchment area. One surprise to me at least is that BA do not fly to GCI, especially since the runaway was extended to take A319s/737s. Surely one or two flights a day would hardly operate empty?
The question is not whether the route would be profitable but whether GCI would be a more profitable use of their airframes, crew, and landing slots than somewhere else.

One of their predecessor organisations did fly there once.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:20 am

The question is not whether the route would be profitable but whether GCI would be a more profitable use of their airframes, crew, and landing slots than somewhere else.

One of their predecessor organisations did fly there once.
Long time ago, but mainline BA used to operate GCI to LHR as well as seasonal LGW, MAN and BHX services, using Viscounts and BAC1-11-400 frames and occasional 737-200's.

Last LHR service was 1980 then the main GCI route transferred to Cityflyer from LGW.

I agree it's a case of effective aircraft and crew deployment (and LHR isn't going to happen), but ex-LGW I would suspect there is a business case waiting to be made.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
FWIW, there are already BA domestic flights with a Club cabin (and I don't mean JER). These earn 40/20/10/5 like Club Europe does...
True domestic flights? Which routes are these?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I used both BA services to / from Jersey late 1980s early 90s
BA operated around 5 flights a day from LHR using BAC1-11s and 737s and twice a day from LGW using 737s

Tobias, Globaliser may be talking about Comair ? - not really BA
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Interesting this is now a discussion on if BA should fly to LHR from JER

maybe we can get back on topic?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Long time ago, but mainline BA used to operate GCI to LHR as well as seasonal LGW, MAN and BHX services, using Viscounts and BAC1-11-400 frames and occasional 737-200's.

Last LHR service was 1980 then the main GCI route transferred to Cityflyer from LGW.

I agree it's a case of effective aircraft and crew deployment (and LHR isn't going to happen), but ex-LGW I would suspect there is a business case waiting to be made.
The obvious thing would be for aurigny to operate under a BA franchise to LGW for GCI
I think GCIs runway is still borderline for the larger aircraft
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Tobias, Globaliser may be talking about Comair?
Ah, I was wondering about one of our overseas possessions but of course the earning rates are wrong.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
True domestic flights? Which routes are these?
Tobias, Globaliser may be talking about Comair ? - not really BA
Ah, I was wondering about one of our overseas possessions but of course the earning rates are wrong.
Exactly: Comair domestics.

What I was thinking was that as you earn 40/20/10/5 on JNB-DUR (domestic, BA franchise), JFK-BOS (domestic, codeshare ops AA), LGW-JER (quasi-domestic, BA mainline), and LCY-RTM (international, BA subsidiary), it would be odd if LHR-INV were to earn less in one or more of those categories - particularly as it is more than twice the length of all bar the first of those other routes.

But that is only guesswork and speculation on my part.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:05 am

... Tobias, Globaliser may be talking about Comair ? - not really BA
Ah, thanks for that. I hadn't even considered 'domestic' options outside of the UK ^
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:10 am

Which earning rates are wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.