Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 17, 6:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Club Europe and EuroTraveller will be launched on UK domestic routes on 01 April 2017.

What does this mean for those of us with existing bookings for travel from April onwards?
  • If your ticket was booked into J, C, D, R, I, or U fare classes, you will travel in the CE cabin and will enjoy lounge access plus the usual fast track benefits and special meal options that come with CE.
  • If your ticket was booked into the Y bucket, you will be rebooked for free into J (Club Europe) and the above benefits will apply. This should happen automatically well in advance of travel. If your ticket was not issued by BA, you should contact the issuing airline to make sure this change is properly processed.
  • If your ticket was booked into B, H, K, M, L, V, N, Q, O, S, G fare classes, you will travel in the ET cabin and all elements of the airport and cabin experience will the same as before.
  • If your ticket was booked into the X fare bucket (economy class redemption), then you will travel in the ET cabin above. However, if this was part of a longhaul club or first ticket, it may be possible to be rebooked for free into the U (Club Europe) bucket. You will have to call BA to accomplish this change.

Earning Avios and Tier Points
  • Q, O, and G class will earn 125 Avios and 5 TP per sector (no change)
  • K, L, M, N, S, and V class will earn 250 Avios and 10 TP per sector (no change)
  • Y*, B, and H class will earn 500 Avios and 20 TP per sector (no change)
  • R and I class will earn 750 Avios and 40 TP per sector
  • J, C, and D class will earn 1250 Avios and 40 TP per sector.
* Existing Y class bookings are expected to be moved to J and will earn the higher Avios rate.

Spending Avios
  • X will be the redemption class for EuroTraveller
  • U will be the redemption class for Club Europe
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 4, 16, 6:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
What's the likelihood that you'll get the next seat free? No chance, I'd imagine.

It's a good move by BA - but those early morning flights that used to have breakfast will basically be paying a lot more for what they're currently getting for 'free'.
Old Nov 4, 16, 6:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
What's the likelihood that you'll get the next seat free?
Unknown atm. You'll have to wait for further details. It may be configured like CE with a table in B & E, or it may not.
Old Nov 4, 16, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, SQ KF Silver; others
Probably means that domestic connections for long haul WTP will no longer book into J. So probably reduced TPs for those domestic connection sectors.
Old Nov 4, 16, 6:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by manord View Post
Probably means that domestic connections for long haul WTP will no longer book into J. So probably reduced TPs for those domestic connection sectors.
We don't know yet. However, we already have a precedent since the JER route has a CE cabin and booking JER-LGW with a WTP flight results in you being in the CE cabin.
Old Nov 4, 16, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Maybe. But then does it mean all business selling classes on domestic flights will now be in the new Club cabin and give lounge access? Currently only J class gives access.
I would assume that J,C,D,R,I buckets will be Club Domestic, in alignment with CE.

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
We don't know yet. However, we already have a precedent since the JER route has a CE cabin and booking JER-LGW with a WTP flight results in you being in the CE cabin.
That is probably a mistake based on the fact that "J REQUIRED WITHIN UNITED KINGDOM" includes JER in the context of GDSes.
Old Nov 4, 16, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
What's the likelihood that you'll get the next seat free? No chance, I'd imagine.
It says "Club Europe" coming to domestic flights, not "a UK business class product". I would suspect the proposition will be exactly what is offered on CE on other aircraft.

I may be wrong but that's my view.
Old Nov 4, 16, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Nice move, I currently use RFS for the vast majority of my DOM flights so will probably pay the difference given the BOB and the fact I would have parted with the avios for a few drinks anyways.

One negative I suppose is that if im not in DOM CE then I've lost my front row seat.
Old Nov 4, 16, 7:05 am

Programs: Starbucks Rewards GOLD
I think you lot are being extremely naive. These news along the "densification" of LHR-based aircraft hint that they are removing galley space.

I bet that the CE inflight product will become the same as BoB but included in the ticket price instead.

This is the only context where it makes sense to offer CE in UK DOM. There will be no massive changes to the current operations, just make sure that a middle seat is blocked and dish out Ciabattas and G&Ts in plastic cups for free. Done!
Old Nov 4, 16, 7:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Anybody got any information on when this change may occur and what, if anything, the impact will be on flights already booked for next summer?
Old Nov 4, 16, 7:47 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Fair enough, I see the benefit for long haul F & J pax. I certainly wouldn't buy a CE ticket for a domestic.

The main problem I see is capacity, as the domestic flights I'm on are always rammed 3 across.Will there be more flights scheduled at peak time? Or will economy prices be absolutely extortionate too? Moreover, will it just be the front section curtained off with some food but still 3-3?
Old Nov 4, 16, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I think you lot are being extremely naive. These news along the "densification" of LHR-based aircraft hint that they are removing galley space.

I bet that the CE inflight product will become the same as BoB but included in the ticket price instead.

This is the only context where it makes sense to offer CE in UK DOM. There will be no massive changes to the current operations, just make sure that a middle seat is blocked and dish out Ciabattas and G&Ts in plastic cups for free. Done!
Yes, another case of misguided hope over experience.
Old Nov 4, 16, 8:18 am

What I want is a blocked seat beside me. I know you can call up and arrange it but it's a bit of work.
Old Nov 4, 16, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mario View Post

Exactly. It will basically be the same as you get now, but they'll rebadge it, charge more, and watch some people lap it up.
Old Nov 4, 16, 9:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I support this idea. If it works to JER (or BRU for that matter) it can work for the much longer segments. Though not a huge fan of Buy on Board, there is now an inner logic, Club Europe with catering, EuroTraveller is to be paid for. For those of us on connections it provides a choice, and an alternative to the Low Cost Carrier model. For those without status it provides a package of benefits, albeit at a cost. This is one change that some of us have lobbied BA for, and I suspect I may well use this option once implemented.

Cynically it gets around the issue of those travellers who can't expense g&t.
Old Nov 4, 16, 9:26 am

I'm sure firms and self-funding pax alike will be delighted to pay more to get the same as before. BA will put fares up to mitigate the loss of seats at the front and the extra APD.

CityFlyer will deploy Club Lite domestically. What a treat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: