FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1800457-club-europe-introduced-uk-domestic-flights-launches-01-april-2017-a.html)

scottishpoet Feb 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 27923279)
So are you suggesting this will change completely or..? Only I booked a WTP JER-LHR-JFK and the JER leg booked into J. It should be ashame to see WTP bookings change to economy class on the SH legs.

would bring it into line with the rest of European SH which books into ET from WTP+

scottishpoet Feb 17, 2017 8:01 pm

the main driver behind the change is the connecting J and F customers who now need to buy a coffee on domestic

The service will pick up the improved CE service that is being rolled out later this year

allturnleft Feb 18, 2017 1:32 am

Are they really going to have missing middle seats and a curtain or is this FT speculation?

HKGorBust Feb 18, 2017 1:43 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft (Post 27925046)
Are they really going to have missing middle seats and a curtain or is this FT speculation?

That is the CE product. I see no value in changing it....

Skipcool3 Feb 18, 2017 1:46 am

No guarantee of a curtain then!

Chris9642 Feb 18, 2017 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 27925073)
No guarantee of a curtain then!

I do at least 1 CE flight per week and never not had a curtain I still think it's fairly standard.

simons1 Feb 18, 2017 1:52 am

I'm curious to see how many rows of CE there will be.

On some of the highly utilised domestics the dynamic will be interesting. With empty seats it could presumably be that less people are being flown, however if the pricing is such that the revenue from A-C (after deduction of the cost of drinks and the CE salad) is higher than A-B-C then shareholders will be happy.

xenole Feb 18, 2017 2:31 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 27925076)
I'm curious to see how many rows of CE there will be.

On some of the highly utilised domestics the dynamic will be interesting. With empty seats it could presumably be that less people are being flown, however if the pricing is such that the revenue from A-C (after deduction of the cost of drinks and the CE salad) is higher than A-B-C then shareholders will be happy.

I'm wondering what would happen here.
Say you've a full flight from GLA-LHR and 8 people are connecting to F flights.
Are they going to block 4 middle seats and turf 4 paying passengers off that flight to accommodate them?

If I book a GLA-LHR-JFK F flight at short notice, am I going to get a couple of people removed so I can have a middle seat free for "CE" and then could that person claim EU261 for involuntarily being offloaded or something?

Or is it going to be like "Come Fly With Me" where the businessman tells Fearghal on Our Lady Air that he's paid for business class and Fearghal says something like "Oh yes Sir, sorry about that" and proceeds to put a piece of cloth saying "business" over the back of the 3/4 of the way back aisle seat.

IAMORGAN Feb 18, 2017 2:37 am

Yes, I wonder if UK Business could become a travel class in its own right. 20 TPs no free middle seat and maybe an allowance from the BoB menu? Or a separate cabin. Especially with 767s being phased out why would they reduce capacity - I thought BA's model was like it high and flog it cheap! Have they explicitly said "Club Europe" or "Business Class". The latter is a malleable concept.

Also let's see what enhancements are coming to CE.

Tobias-UK Feb 18, 2017 2:38 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 27925152)
Are they going to block 4 middle seats and turf 4 paying passengers off that flight to accommodate them?

If I book a GLA-LHR-JFK F flight at short notice, am I going to get someone removed so I can have a middle seat free for "CE" and then could that person claim EU261 for involuntarily being offloaded or something?

Or is it going to be like "Come Fly With Me" where the businessman tells Fearghal on Our Lady Air that he's paid for business class and Fearghal says something like "Oh yes Sir, sorry about that" and proceeds to put a piece of cloth saying "business" over the back of the 3/4 of the way back aisle seat.

Why do you think there will be any difference to the current CE service? BA said it was to introduce Club Europe to its domestic services, Club Europe is an established product and once it is introduced it will operate like every other Club Europe service. It is either CE or it isn't.

Tobias-UK Feb 18, 2017 2:39 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN (Post 27925162)
Yes, I wonder if UK Business could become a travel class in its own right. 20 TPs no free middle seat and maybe an allowance from the BoB menu? Or a separate cabin. Especially with 767s being phased out why would they reduce capacity - I thought BA's model was like it high and flog it cheap! Have they explicitly said "Club Europe" or "Business Class". The latter is a malleable concept.

BA has been specific in its language - when it has mentioned the introduction of the new service they have consistently referred to it as Club Europe - and that is an established product.

scottishpoet Feb 18, 2017 2:40 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN (Post 27925162)

​​​​​​​Csm on my flight from Glasgow this week said it will be CE and that CE is being improved later this year

corporate-wage-slave Feb 18, 2017 2:48 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 27925152)

If I book a GLA-LHR-JFK F flight at short notice, am I going to get a couple of people removed so I can have a middle seat free for "CE" and then could that person claim EU261 for involuntarily being offloaded or something?

Surely it will be just like CE in the rest of Europe from that point of view? So if you are in AMS going to an F flight, they will manage the inventory to prevent this from happening: they'll either have the seats in CE or ET available for sale or won't sell the ticket. Sometimes they'll oversell but particularly in Europe it's very rare for this to go wrong. Moreover, by effectively reducing the ET inventory, fares go up.....

In your GLA example, they would statistically know you were going to buy that ticket (before you did) and would have kept xenole's seat ready for his late purchase. When he did this, the CE inventory goes down, and if necessary the ET inventory also goes down, just as it does already from AMS. And often fares for both inventories will then go up. And if all else fails, they'll tell any staff members on Standby to wait for the next flight.

I also agree that this is likely to be a BRU/AMS band 1 style full CE product (not sure about Avios) and expensive standalone unless done with the Saturday night rule. It's actually logistically easier, in some respects, to do that than to operate the current Domestic arrangement, at least in terms of the catering trucks and the table movements. So I don't see any novelties with CE in the UK. EDIT: one possible exception, there is a slight staffing implication with CE getting to a certain size, so on some EDIs they may get an extra crew member as a result of a large CE.

FlyerTalker39574 Feb 18, 2017 2:59 am

A Club Domestic class seems to be a missed opportunity.

corporate-wage-slave Feb 18, 2017 3:03 am

Originally Posted by richardwft (Post 27925218)
A Club Domestic class seems to be a missed opportunity.

How would you see Club Domestic as different to Club Europe? Different catering?