Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Club Europe to be introduced on UK domestic flights [launches 01 April 2017]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 17, 6:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Club Europe and EuroTraveller will be launched on UK domestic routes on 01 April 2017.

What does this mean for those of us with existing bookings for travel from April onwards?
  • If your ticket was booked into J, C, D, R, I, or U fare classes, you will travel in the CE cabin and will enjoy lounge access plus the usual fast track benefits and special meal options that come with CE.
  • If your ticket was booked into the Y bucket, you will be rebooked for free into J (Club Europe) and the above benefits will apply. This should happen automatically well in advance of travel. If your ticket was not issued by BA, you should contact the issuing airline to make sure this change is properly processed.
  • If your ticket was booked into B, H, K, M, L, V, N, Q, O, S, G fare classes, you will travel in the ET cabin and all elements of the airport and cabin experience will the same as before.
  • If your ticket was booked into the X fare bucket (economy class redemption), then you will travel in the ET cabin above. However, if this was part of a longhaul club or first ticket, it may be possible to be rebooked for free into the U (Club Europe) bucket. You will have to call BA to accomplish this change.

Earning Avios and Tier Points
  • Q, O, and G class will earn 125 Avios and 5 TP per sector (no change)
  • K, L, M, N, S, and V class will earn 250 Avios and 10 TP per sector (no change)
  • Y*, B, and H class will earn 500 Avios and 20 TP per sector (no change)
  • R and I class will earn 750 Avios and 40 TP per sector
  • J, C, and D class will earn 1250 Avios and 40 TP per sector.
* Existing Y class bookings are expected to be moved to J and will earn the higher Avios rate.

Spending Avios
  • X will be the redemption class for EuroTraveller
  • U will be the redemption class for Club Europe
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 4, 17, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by sheppy26 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm curious as to what might happen in my scenario, and wondered what your thoughts were - I am looking to book a flight from EDI to LHR at the beginning of April and have the option of either paying cash or avios on the preferred flight. I have just done a dummy booking and it looks like a mid-haul a321 has been rostered as the front CW cabin is available to me to select seats. This would be nice as I would be travelling with someone for who a proper business class style seat would be something that they would not normally experience. My concern though is that if I book and select the seats now, and BA subsequently introduce Domestic CE before the flight, will we be booted out? Would method of payment have any affect on this? I am pondering that any introduction wouldn't happen before Easter as it doesn't give them very long to market the new service etc and to get punters sucked in? Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sheppy
I would expect you to be ejected from the front cabin if the service goes two-class and you hold only a Y ticket.

One option would be to buy an Avios ticket, and cancel it if there is a cabin change.
Old Jan 4, 17, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'd say that between now and April, there is at least 50% chance that the midhaul assignment won't stick.
Old Jan 4, 17, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
I would expect you to be ejected from the front cabin if the service goes two-class and you hold only a Y ticket.

One option would be to buy an Avios ticket, and cancel it if there is a cabin change.
Thanks, that is what I was thinking - fingers crossed though that the a/c sticks!
Old Jan 4, 17, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I'd say that between now and April, there is at least 50% chance that the midhaul assignment won't stick.
I hope that booking it won't tempt fate!

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 4, 17 at 12:24 pm Reason: repair quotation frame
Old Jan 4, 17, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by sheppy26 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm curious as to what might happen in my scenario, and wondered what your thoughts were - I am looking to book a flight from EDI to LHR at the beginning of April and have the option of either paying cash or avios on the preferred flight. I have just done a dummy booking and it looks like a mid-haul a321 has been rostered as the front CW cabin is available to me to select seats. This would be nice as I would be travelling with someone for who a proper business class style seat would be something that they would not normally experience. My concern though is that if I book and select the seats now, and BA subsequently introduce Domestic CE before the flight, will we be booted out? Would method of payment have any affect on this? I am pondering that any introduction wouldn't happen before Easter as it doesn't give them very long to market the new service etc and to get punters sucked in? Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sheppy
Booted out is a harsh way of putting it, however if it's sold as a 2 class service and you only have a Y ticket I would expect you to be 'relocated' to the seating for which you have paid.....

You might be OK though, I would be surprised if the UK Business introduction happened by then. Apart from 1 line in an investor presentation I don't recall hearing anything about it.
Old Jan 14, 17, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I notice some 'D' class tickets surfacing on domestic connecting sectors around April. Signs that Club Europe UK is being introduced imminently? What might this mean for tier points?
Old Jan 14, 17, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss View Post
I notice some 'D' class tickets surfacing on domestic connecting sectors around April. Signs that Club Europe UK is being introduced imminently? What might this mean for tier points?
Indeed my concern would be TP in keeping with IB domestic and subsequent downgrading of LGW-JER
Old Jan 14, 17, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
Indeed my concern would be TP in keeping with IB domestic and subsequent downgrading of LGW-JER
Since Jersey isn't in the U.K., this shouldn't be an issue...
Old Jan 14, 17, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by navylad View Post
The big difference being that Madrid is not in some remote corner of the country.
Old Jan 14, 17, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss View Post
If you're looking at Club Europe fares, they changed those to book into the prime bucket on domestic sectors some time ago. Previously they booked into J in the United Kingdom, in line with all longhaul premium fares including WT+.
Old Jan 15, 17, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think a bigger concern is that BAEC might stop throwing domestic connections for free on long haul award itineraries.
Old Jan 15, 17, 12:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Was looking at some existing bookings las night. On a LHR/MAN flight I was originally in 1A. Within the space of a few minutes this went to no seat allocated, to 6A and then back to 1A. Unfortunately this is booked in fare code O so expect to be moved if business U.K. srarts before May even though booked as part of an I fare booking to TLL.
Old Jan 15, 17, 1:58 am

Orbitmic,

Domestic connections are not free!

They cost about 50 extra on Avios flights (yes, not more Avios, true, but extra fees and surcharges).

Easy jet to LGW is 67 and BA is 77 on normal advance fares, less on sales.

(Although I appreciate that only BA flies to LHR, so you are stuffed there)

But domestic connections are not "free"!

ps.

And often the domestics are not loaded at T-355 or whatever, so then there is a fee to ad them on to a booking. So that makes the price even higher than just purchasing a BA domestic.

But now, if you buy a separate BA domestic ticket, there is no connection protection!

Means I now book Easyjet to Madrid - tickets the same price as London - and connect there!

Last edited by flygod; Jan 15, 17 at 2:02 am Reason: added PS
Old Jan 15, 17, 2:05 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I think a bigger concern is that BAEC might stop throwing domestic connections for free on long haul award itineraries.
Given that "cost cutting is now in BAs DNA", I suspect this is only a matter of time. Once CE on domestic flights is fully rolled out I'd be very surprised if domestic connections for long haul premium cabin redemptions (WT+ and up) continue book into J, and I suspect the same will apply to a cash bookings.

Last edited by GlasgowBlue; Jan 15, 17 at 3:25 am
Old Jan 15, 17, 2:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by madfish View Post
Was looking at some existing bookings las night. On a LHR/MAN flight I was originally in 1A. Within the space of a few minutes this went to no seat allocated, to 6A and then back to 1A. Unfortunately this is booked in fare code O so expect to be moved if business U.K. srarts before May even though booked as part of an I fare booking to TLL.
Just checked some of my bookings which have domestic sectors. These are from April onwards and all the way to August. No seating changes, still in 1A for all flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: