Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA military discount and first airline to sign AFC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA military discount and first airline to sign AFC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Perhaps they should allow pre-boarding for all military in uniform, and people with a DDS card too.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Well, well, well ... that works. Well done BA.

I was aware of the DDS website and have now registered. As Silver Fox noted upthread, registration was instant! Just input 'Veteran/<service number>' and there I was, without even being asked about which Service. So cross-checking with Service/other records doesn't seem a feature.

(I assume it only works with on-line bookings. I can't imagine a telephone booking coping with it.)

Last edited by T8191; Nov 3, 2016 at 3:13 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Perhaps they should allow pre-boarding for all military in uniform, and people with a DDS card too.
Or even better, employ ex-military personnel to enforce proper boarding.

Overall a welcome move by BA.
StingWest likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Well done, BA ^ I suspect one current CCR member in particular will be very happy to learn that he now gets to enjoy his copious alcohol intake 10% cheaper
That will make his offloads less expensive
Old Nov 3, 2016, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
Fantastic news that BA is the first airline to sign the Armed Forces Covenant and is offering 10% discount on all of its products to currently serving, veterans and their spouses.

http://www.cityam.com/252780/british...-cent-discount
Just add service animals and the UK = US now.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Amex Platinum
Just done a dummy booking (LHR-KRK) and prices were identical i.e. no discount at all.
Also, the HBO fare was not shown on the military service fare page.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Well, well, well ... that works. Well done BA.

I was aware of the DDS website and have now registered. As Silver Fox noted upthread, registration was instant! Just input 'Veteran/<service number>' and there I was, without even being asked about which Service. So cross-checking with Service/other records doesn't seem a feature.

(I assume it only works with on-line bookings. I can't imagine a telephone booking coping with it.)
Now they know where you are,they might try to recall you
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
Now they know where you are,they might try to recall you
At the current rates I would consider it
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: 𓂀
Rarely do UK military ever fly in Uniform.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
All registered, with a very quick acceptance as mentioned above. Discount works on a dummy booking. ^

Now all I need is a good price Ex-EU to OGG!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by hanrahantom
Just done a dummy booking (LHR-KRK) and prices were identical i.e. no discount at all.
Also, the HBO fare was not shown on the military service fare page.
How far did you go with the booking, the discount doesn't come off until you've selected the flights and gone to the next stage where it shows you the price breakdown, I did your dummy booking again but I don't know what dates you used.

HBO fares are unavailable with this offer, but seams to work with all other offers, including BA codeshares. The DDS doesn't do a check initially upon registration, but equally, if you are saying your in the military or a veteran when your not, you can be prosecuted as had happened in recent years.

Without discount
Name:  Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 12.54.33.jpg
Views: 3200
Size:  362.3 KB

With discount
Name:  Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 12.47.43.jpg
Views: 3146
Size:  340.5 KB

Last edited by navylad; Nov 3, 2016 at 6:59 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by airhab
Rarely do UK military ever fly in Uniform.
I know. That said, LHR-INV and the RRS (I presume it was they) seems to have a quite a few of them each time I have flown.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I know. That said, LHR-INV and the RRS (I presume it was they) seems to have a quite a few of them each time I have flown.
The FlyBe Southampton to Glasgow route (which I'm reliable informed is their most profitable route) always has some RN on, Faslane Base rumours regularly spread of unannounced nuclear inspections by the sight of particular officers on a regular occasion.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Mildly annoying that having spent money earlier this week on R&R flights and a holiday next year with BA this pops up!

BUT, I wasn't getting great savings - the fare I looked at was maybe Ł100 cheaper overall than the one I booked in the end, and to be honest I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make.

Now if anyone knows whether I can qualify for an AA discount for a transcontinental J flight I want to book for next Sep, then do let me know.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

navylad ... thanks for your post #41. very helpful, and thanks for the original alert ^

How BA will cope with me trying JER-LGW-DUB-CLT-LAX-OGG will be a separate issue, unless BAEC can input the necessary with a phone booking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.