Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cathay and Dragon Air avail? - tons of seats...then no seats

Cathay and Dragon Air avail? - tons of seats...then no seats

Old Oct 27, 16, 7:10 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 5
Cathay and Dragon Air avail? - tons of seats...then no seats

So after much procrastination I finally went in to book an avios flight from PVG to HKG for this coming Monday Oct. 31 only to find that what was once about 10-12 available flights using avios was no ... 0

Anyone have any experience with Cathay and Dragon Air flight availability vanishing closer to departure date? I remember a few years back I was able to book a HKG to Singapore flight same day.

Looking a week later to Monday November 7 there are 15 flights available on either Cathay or Dragon Air.

Guess I'll be booking the cheapest revenue flight but wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences here.
wanderingabroad is offline  
Old Oct 27, 16, 7:26 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London
Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Posts: 272
I have had a few experiences of this. Notably last week when the BA website refused to help me change avios flights (as usual nowadays it seems...).

In the time it took the GGL line to confirm the website was down to waive the fee, 13 seats had disappeared from the flight, leaving only 1 J seat left on CX MNL-HKG at the time I needed. As it is such a quick flight I wouldn't bother with J, but I was left with no choice! This was 2 days before travel, similar thing happened to all other flights on that day.
ShuttleRunner is offline  
Old Oct 27, 16, 7:29 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ipswich
Posts: 7,541
Isn't there something about CX shutting down short-notice redemption seats due to fraud?
windowontheAside is offline  
Old Oct 27, 16, 7:48 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: OSL
Posts: 2,243
Originally Posted by wanderingabroad View Post
So after much procrastination I finally went in to book an avios flight from PVG to HKG for this coming Monday Oct. 31 only to find that what was once about 10-12 available flights using avios was no ... 0

Anyone have any experience with Cathay and Dragon Air flight availability vanishing closer to departure date? I remember a few years back I was able to book a HKG to Singapore flight same day.

Looking a week later to Monday November 7 there are 15 flights available on either Cathay or Dragon Air.

Guess I'll be booking the cheapest revenue flight but wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences here.
Last summer I was able to book a CX flight 75min ahead of the flight. This year I am seeing a lot shadow availability on CX (not so much KA) - trying searching again. It keeps coming and going.
dodgeflyer is offline  
Old Oct 27, 16, 9:28 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer View Post
Last summer I was able to book a CX flight 75min ahead of the flight. This year I am seeing a lot shadow availability on CX (not so much KA) - trying searching again. It keeps coming and going.
Yeah I was able to do a similar thing a couple of years back. The earliest available flight is on the Sunday November 6 but nothing before that.

hmmmm guess I'll keep checking
wanderingabroad is offline  
Old Oct 27, 16, 9:38 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,923
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Isn't there something about CX shutting down short-notice redemption seats due to fraud?
Yes I remember a thread about CX not releasing seats on some routes TPE being 1 at less than 7 days notice due to mainland ticket fraud.
rapidex is offline  
Old Oct 27, 16, 9:51 am
  #7  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,400
This is the thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...departure.html

There was an online block on the TPE route but that was lifted. Apparently there remained a block on WUH and CTU but I don't know whether that is still in place. I am not sure whether the block may cover PVG or the issues seen by the OP are resulting from something else.
KARFA is online now  
Old Oct 28, 16, 4:30 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Posts: 1,069
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
This is the thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...departure.html

There was an online block on the TPE route but that was lifted. Apparently there remained a block on WUH and CTU but I don't know whether that is still in place. I am not sure whether the block may cover PVG or the issues seen by the OP are resulting from something else.
For both WUH and CTU I can only find seats exactly seven days before departure on ba.com

The same goes to PVG, PEK, XIY, CKG......

There may be (again??) a 5 days block for TPE. Can someone comfirm this?

Last edited by cysyuen; Oct 28, 16 at 4:35 am
cysyuen is offline  
Old Oct 28, 16, 11:38 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: BA Bronze
Posts: 1,002
Haven't had a problem with this, and find CX/KA availability outstanding. Closest to time I've booked on avios was 3 days ahead, CCU-HKG.
go_around is offline  
Old Oct 29, 16, 1:45 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2
It looks like the block is back. It was fine when I was booking next day flights on Thursday, but no availability for the next 4 days when I looked on Friday.
shanemeow is offline  
Old Oct 29, 16, 1:58 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Posts: 726
Originally Posted by shanemeow View Post
It looks like the block is back. It was fine when I was booking next day flights on Thursday, but no availability for the next 4 days when I looked on Friday.
Do we know if the block just for online bookings and one can still book the tickets via call centre?
wmaciej is offline  
Old Oct 29, 16, 2:53 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 524
Cathay and Dragonair redemptions between China and Hong Kong are blocked within 5 days of travel . This applies to both ba.com and call centre bookings.
cbagent is online now  
Old Oct 29, 16, 6:32 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Glossop
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 341
Slightly OT but are there ever 2 redemption seats for JFK - YVR in first?

Seems to be lots with 1 seat.
FlyerGill is offline  
Old Oct 29, 16, 6:41 am
  #14  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,491
Originally Posted by FlyerGill View Post
Slightly OT but are there ever 2 redemption seats for JFK - YVR in first?

Seems to be lots with 1 seat.
I think they only release 1 seat at a time in First these days. There's only 6 F seats on each aircraft.
sxc is offline  
Old Oct 29, 16, 6:59 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Glossop
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 341
Thanks. So if I book 1 seat is there a chance that a 2nd might be made available?
Then the OH can come too.

Last edited by FlyerGill; Oct 29, 16 at 7:20 am
FlyerGill is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: