Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA announces new route : LGW - FLL Fort Lauderdale, starting 6 Jul, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA announces new route : LGW - FLL Fort Lauderdale, starting 6 Jul, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
With all the ground infrastructure needed does it make sense to fly to TPA, MCO, MIA and then add FLL. As said above these are all pretty close in terms of distance from origin. Doesn't this add a lot more cost than say an additional flight to TPA or MIA?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by acars
3 airfields in florida, all reasonably close by based on global perception standards of distance, not the way we think of distance in the uk. I sense that oak route announcement around the corner. This just helps convince myself perhaps, but there, i said it.
4... Mia/fll/tpa/mco
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calum
That awkward moment when you get Fort Lauderdale confused with Jacksonville and suddenly think you have a way shorter drive to Savannah.
an easy mistake to make. A bit like confusing Ballymena and Brighton...
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Available to grab now on Reward seats J all over summer holidays which is great for many out there
Hmmm. I pounced in this as soon as I saw the announcement.

Nowt.

Someone else must have pounced first.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by DeanB
Just had a look at AA connections from FLL. There's one to PHX but it's 1970 miles, so this isn't another way to get two sectors >2000mi unfortunately
Thanks ... that saved me the bother of going to explore that option!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
A 3-class B777 ex-LGW - no thanks. I suppose it works a lot better for the cruises out of FLL better than MIA.

MIA may not be the best airport to navigate, I'd still take that with it's 4-class B747s and A380's any day over this though.

What lounge options will be available at FLL for BA?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NickB
an easy mistake to make. A bit like confusing Ballymena and Brighton...
or Bangor and Bangor
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by where2travel
A 3-class B777 ex-LGW - no thanks. I suppose it works a lot better for the cruises out of FLL better than MIA.

MIA may not be the best airport to navigate, I'd still take that with it's 4-class B747s and A380's any day over this though.

What lounge options will be available at FLL for BA?
Hard to say. I suspect BA will use Terminal 4 which is being rebuilt/configured. Whether there will be any lounge is up to the airport and the operators I guess. Based on my experience of many FL airport lounges, I'd say that, even if there does end up being a lounge, it'll be similar to a dentist's waiting room.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
With two recent announcements for new BA routes to New Orleans and Fort Lauderdale, are there any indications that there will be more more for N America in the coming days/weeks or is that it for this year?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by DeanB
Just had a look at AA connections from FLL. There's one to PHX but it's 1970 miles, so this isn't another way to get two sectors >2000mi unfortunately
Originally Posted by T8191
Thanks ... that saved me the bother of going to explore that option!
For T8191, it might be a good option to do JER-LGW-FLL//MIA-LAX-PHX with an overnight in MIA... probably easier than JER-LGW//LHR-JFK-PHX.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by dylanks
For T8191, it might be a good option to do JER-LGW-FLL//MIA-LAX-PHX with an overnight in MIA... probably easier than JER-LGW//LHR-JFK-PHX.
Oh, scenic!! I just hate back-tracking, but I take the point! We have a Family Strategy meeting scheduled for this weekend
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by JeffBHD
or Bangor and Bangor
Reminds me of the dear ladies of the cloth who, when asking for directions to the Manx flight some years ago, were sent to the gate for the flight to Minsk.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
If this is about taking the fight to Norwegian and sleezyjet its perhaps time they looked at increasing the shorthaul and domestic presence at Gatters.

Soon BA will be in the south terminal with the other OW and IAG and codeshare airlines so will be in a position to push the product at the connectivity / thru ticketing.

NCL, ABZ, INV, GIB, CDG & MAD on BA metal would all be welcome to compliment an ever increasing longhaul offering.

All of those routes were dropped because Gatwick is now a point to point low cost leisure operation rather than a high cost hub and spoke. Short haul dominance was lost years ago and adding costs in building a hub just makes them even less competitve. Time to stop looking back to a BA Gatwick that's long gone and frankly never made commercial sense, i.e. Lost millions.
If LHR runway 3 does go ahead, I have no doubt all long haul will move back to LHR.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Whatever the motivation for this route there are certainly bargains to be had in WT & WT+. I see lots of Ł375 returns in September/October and even in August. The equivalent LHR-MIA fares are typically over double that.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 4:27 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dylanks
Or just use the Gatwick JFK service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.