LHR TO PEK with Finnair v BA

Old Oct 26, 16, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, BA Lifetime Gold
LHR TO PEK with Finnair v BA

Currently on AY 051 at HEL waiting to leave for PEK having arrived on AY from London.
A350 for both legs which is impressive but for the first time even approached and greeted by Finnair CSM as a "One World Emerald" and "BA GGL" and told how important I am to the Alliance(?!). First ever recognition on Finnair. Some one is certainly upping their game and with an inter continental layout A350 serving LHR and a decent Premier lounge at HEL, BA will need to watch this or lose even more traffic. Fare out to PEK and back HKG was 46% of BA equivalent in C. Food for thought?
Old Oct 26, 16, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
My company policy is premium economy only. But for same fare as prem econ on BA I flew business on Finn Air. So given this comparison Finn Air were immensely superior.

Free wifi PEK-HEL was an added bonus.
Old Oct 26, 16, 11:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
I find the seat on the a350 incredibly uncomfortable. The whining and whinging that would be done on this board if Ba installed that would be monumental.
Old Oct 26, 16, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MickV View Post
I find the seat on the a350 incredibly uncomfortable. The whining and whinging that would be done on this board if Ba installed that would be monumental.
Isn't it the same as the CX/AA seat?
Old Oct 26, 16, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller View Post
Same people make it but it is a different version. I haven't tried the AA version but the CX one is much more comfortable. I did a short trip report on it. Seriously uncomfortable. The good folks over on the Finnair board have discussed it at length.
Old Oct 26, 16, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller View Post
It's of the same basic design, but the seats on AY are shorter and they also don't have a moveable bottom part of the seat - nothing to support your calves when in lounging position.
Old Oct 26, 16, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, BA Lifetime Gold
Well we all have different opinions. I think this product is vastly superior to the cramped, cushionless seat offered in LH BA C today. For those who have not flown in the Finnair A350 business class seat, it is a a version but not identical to the BA first class cabin. That means it is not really as spacious or a private area as BA and let's not go a la Etihad or Emirates but it is a world away from BA Club.

1/3 of the way to PEK and food was acceptable, booze what you might expect ( and perhaps a little bit more) from the Finns and generally all okay.

Am I falling in love?
Old Oct 26, 16, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MickV View Post
Agree completely as I have mentioned in other threads.

A disappointment as I like the cost, tier points and food on AY for LHR to Asia routes.
Old Oct 26, 16, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by EI147 View Post
It's of the same basic design, but the seats on AY are shorter and they also don't have a moveable bottom part of the seat - nothing to support your calves when in lounging position.
Sounds like the same version CX have on their A330's?
Old Oct 26, 16, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by darthlemsip View Post
Sounds like the same version CX have on their A330's?
Not really. That seat is still more comfortable than the cheap looking finnair version.

This is the trip report I did. The wifi aspect was great and the service was decent. Seat pretty poor. The only characteristic it shares with Ba f is that it is 1-2-1. The little storage and that it's a flat seat. I did like the cameras but I like that on every plane that has them.

Live: DUB-HEL-HKG Finnair rt

Last edited by MickV; Oct 26, 16 at 1:28 pm
Old Oct 27, 16, 1:40 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
I just got off my first A350 Finnair flight. The lack of storage space around the seat is quite stupid (e.g. make the head phone hanger into a cupboard like on AA or CX?). I am quite short (179cm), so the length of the seat is not a major issue, but it is a bit cramped width wise for the legs. On the other hand the space for my arms is better than the Circus version on AA/CX, as is the lie flat position where it doesn't 'break' my back; for some reason I can only put the other seats 98% flat as else I get severe back pain from slanting more than 180 degrees.

Over all I would like a little more space between each row (I. E. less aggressively slanted seats), but I can find a comfortable sleeping position.

The IFE is excellent and so are the Bose QC25 headphones. Service from the 100% HKG crew was very good.

Oh and yes, my ticket was ex-HKG for 21000 HKD return. No other carrier was close in price apart from Aeroflot, which didn't have good connections for me (and despite nowadays having status on SkyTeam I try to avoid them).
Old Oct 27, 16, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
I found the seat uncomfortable, and the cabin is painfully white and bright for me.

Wifi is a positive
Old Oct 27, 16, 5:54 am

I am a big fan the AY brand proposition, however very disappointed about the A350 seats. Cramped, too short, and the lack of leg rest is uncomfortable. However, they obviously try to drive down prices by higher density so you get what you pay for...

There's no comparison to other Cirrus seats such as AF or CX, however somewhat closer to the SuperDiamond (ie QR), which I find less comfortable than the Cirrus.
Old Oct 27, 16, 6:13 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
Hmmm all of this does not help me looking forward to my trip with AY on their A350 next week ! I do need lumbar support as I have issues with my back, is that a real problem on this seat and should I be prepared bringing my own cushion ?
Old Oct 27, 16, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fransknorge View Post
Hmmm all of this does not help me looking forward to my trip with AY on their A350 next week ! I do need lumbar support as I have issues with my back, is that a real problem on this seat and should I be prepared bringing my own cushion ?
There is plenty of discusssion on that seat in the AY forum so perhaps it might be an idea to ask questions there rather than here? FWIW, I have found the seat perfectly OK although there are quite a few voices in the AY forum that expressed dissatisfaction with it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: