Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by 1010101
Someone who was on board has said in this very thread that it didn't happen.

Maybe only the crew were affected because only the crew stayed in a particular hotel and ate a particular item on the menu the day before. The illness may have nothing to do with the aircraft. It makes perfect sense for them all to go to hospital to keep them all together, regardless of whether they were ill or not.
Ok but by just simply doing the arithmetic - it doesn't add up. If 25 crew members buggered off to the hospital with the pax still on board - how many crew members would there be on an a380 with a reported 400 pax on board.............?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
Ok but by just simply doing the arithmetic - it doesn't add up. If 25 crew members buggered off to the hospital with the pax still on board - how many crew members would there be on an a380 with a reported 400 pax on board.............?
Highlighted your mistake. We've already been told by someone who was actually there that that didn't happen.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Ok. I will lay it out in simple terms.

The minimum legal required cabin crew to be onboard the A380 with passengers onboard, on the ground, is 18.

The minimum legal required flight crew to be onboard the A380 with passengers onboard, on the ground, is 0.

There for, as we seem to be referencing the two working groups as a total number, making 25, a total of 7 crew, made up of 3 flight crew and 4 "above minimum" cabin crew could leave the aircraft before passengers were removed.

Irrespective of what you chose to believe, despite a posted from onboard the aircraft stating that what the media report to have happened, did not in fact happen, once again, it is not a rule that could be broken.

The only time passengers may be left onboard the aircraft alone, is during an evacuation, should the crew members deem that their life is in danger and opt to leave the aircraft before all passengers have evacuated. During station transits, ground delays, waiting for pilots, or any other situation where passengers are onboard an aircraft, cabin crew MUST BE and ARE present onboard. There is no getting around it.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Ok. I will lay it out in simple terms.

The minimum legal required cabin crew to be onboard the A380 with passengers onboard, on the ground, is 18.

The minimum legal required flight crew to be onboard the A380 with passengers onboard, on the ground, is 0.

There for, as we seem to be referencing the two working groups as a total number, making 25, a total of 7 crew, made up of 3 flight crew and 4 "above minimum" cabin crew could leave the aircraft before passengers were removed.

Irrespective of what you chose to believe, despite a posted from onboard the aircraft stating that what the media report to have happened, did not in fact happen, once again, it is not a rule that could be broken.

The only time passengers may be left onboard the aircraft alone, is during an evacuation, should the crew members deem that their life is in danger and opt to leave the aircraft before all passengers have evacuated. During station transits, ground delays, waiting for pilots, or any other situation where passengers are onboard an aircraft, cabin crew MUST BE and ARE present onboard. There is no getting around it.
Ok, thanks for "laying it out in simple terms". A bit condescending but it still doesn't make sense any way you cut it. You quote one passenger. I've seen quotes from several other passengers that say something completely different. Unlike you, I haven't come to any firm conclusions on the basis of one persons conflicting report - and still want to know exactly what happened.

Here's some other quotes:

"We were kept in the dark.… When we landed what we did know is that the crew got their luggage and left immediately," said Blaser.

"We're all sitting there looking around … the entire crew just got up and left the plane... why they took their luggage and left, we have no idea."

Others even say they saw (from their seat on the plane) the crew being loaded (into a bus and taken away.

There's also a press photo of a large group of the crew strolling into an emergency department with their luggage in tow.

It's all extremely strange, no matter how much you (and others) want to rush to BA's defence. I'd like to know what happened for sure, maybe it's all good, maybe not. But it doesn't add up at this point, no mater how "simply" you want to make your case.

Has anyone ever seen/heard anything quite like this before? I haven't.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, thanks for "laying it out in simple terms". A bit condescending but it still doesn't make sense any way you cut it. You quote one passenger. I've seen quotes from several other passengers that say something completely different. Unlike you, I haven't come to any firm conclusions on the basis of one persons conflicting report - and still want to know exactly what happened.

Here's some other quotes:

"We were kept in the dark.… When we landed what we did know is that the crew got their luggage and left immediately," said Blaser.

"We're all sitting there looking around … the entire crew just got up and left the plane... why they took their luggage and left, we have no idea."

Others even say they saw (from their seat on the plane) the crew being loaded (into a bus and taken away.

There's also a press photo of a large group of the crew strolling into an emergency department with their luggage in tow.

It's all extremely strange, no matter how much you (and others) want to rush to BA's defence. I'd like to know what happened for sure, maybe it's all good, maybe not. But it doesn't add up at this point, no mater how "simply" you want to make your case.

Has anyone ever seen/heard anything quite like this before? I haven't.
My conclusion is partly based on one persons account, but also the knowledge of what the SOP and legal requirements for the operation of the aircraft are. However, as usual, a lay person appears to know better than someone who has gone through specific training for the job, is licensed to operate as crew on the aircraft and knows the procedures, both company and regulator for said aircraft.

But hey, what do I know... Lets all just run the world on the word of the press and "armchair" experts. ^

And, I am not "rushing to BA's defence", I am stating fact in regard to the way in which things are done. Something you, unless you suddenly appear to be an A380 pilot or licensed crew member, don't know about.

And as for your last line. No one has heard of it before, because it WOULD NOT HAPPEN.

Enjoy your continued debate, carry it on with yourself, I don't have the time or inclination to bash my head off a thick brick wall.

Last edited by BingBongBoy; Oct 26, 2016 at 10:36 pm
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:00 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
And the media have never, ever ever been known to manipulate the facts or (as Maggie used to say), be economical with the truth to start a sensational news story.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:57 pm

Regardless I don't think I deserve to be slandered
Just for the sake of accuracy, because it written rather than verbal, any defamation would be libel, not slander, if indeed it were either of those

Last edited by Johnnieboy; Oct 27, 2016 at 1:30 am
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I saw someone on Instagram yesterday who was in F on the flight.

He and his partner were moved onto KLM opposed to BA.

He wrote to say everything was well handled, but did say he felt sorry for those in Y due to the lengthy queues (he posted a picture which CBS wanted to use).

M
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:12 am
Suspended

Last edited by simonrp84; Jul 1, 2017 at 6:59 am
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonrp84
Should not happen, not would not happen.
Wrong.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I don't know how much clearer we can be, IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN.
We don't just do what we feel onboard with have SOPs which we MUST follow.
I'm guessing that the reports of the crew picking up their bags and leaving was from the baggage hall, once we had completed all duties and our ground staff had taken over then we would have left for the hospital.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:27 am
Suspended

Last edited by simonrp84; Jul 1, 2017 at 6:59 am
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I saw someone on Instagram yesterday who was in F on the flight.

He and his partner were moved onto KLM opposed to BA.

He wrote to say everything was well handled, but did say he felt sorry for those in Y due to the lengthy queues (he posted a picture which CBS wanted to use).

M
As KLM do not have F,only J that would be a downgrade.Perhaps EU261 afterall.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:48 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by rapidex
As KLM do not have F,only J that would be a downgrade.Perhaps EU261 afterall.
Correct, but his post showed he was just grateful to be on a flight back to the UK (Bristol to be precise).

He mentioned it was J, and that he managed just 3 hours on his first F flight!

M
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonrp84
Thanks for your input.
You are more than welcome. It was a pleasure, as always.

You have a lovelily day now... Safe travels! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.