Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
Since when did CX fly from YVR to SFO at 6PM?

Was this in the 1990s?
Either '96 or '98. CX used to offer 4 and 7 day packages from SFO to YVR and we would do the 4 day as long weekend getaways.

However a recent trip to Vancouver (last month) showed me that in many ways Canadian immigration still behaves the same way around the concourse with US flights.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
This story's plot must be starting to pique interest of scribes in Hollywood. If they are quick enough, they can get those pax back and film some scenes in advance
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:27 pm

My first thought upon hearing no passengers taken to the hospital but all of the crew was an industrial action. However, it could be a single person sick and all going because of coordination.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
They all went to the hospital because that is what the company wanted, this in no way was industrial action.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
The aircraft is scheduled to fly out at 6.05pm tonight (local) from what I read - I presume without pax.

Pilot37
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Either '96 or '98. CX used to offer 4 and 7 day packages from SFO to YVR and we would do the 4 day as long weekend getaways.

However a recent trip to Vancouver (last month) showed me that in many ways Canadian immigration still behaves the same way around the concourse with US flights.
All inbound international flights to YVR use the same incoming customs clearance area. For the most part inbound US flights will approach from one side and other destinations from the opposite side, converging on the down escalators to the customs hall. As I described above a few of the gates can be used for either outbound US flights or non-US flights by configuring the glass walls.

Outbound flights to the US have CA airport security followed by US customs preclearance, and when you are admitted you enter what are called the E gates. If you have to leave the pre-clearance E gate area for any reason, you have to re-enter Canada and do the whole thing over again. If you aren't eligible to re-enter Canada then they have to put you in a holding area.

Over the years, they have built some shortcuts to allow easier transfers, especially from inbound Intl to outbound US, but there is no guarantee those facilities will be open at any particular time so you could be required to do the whole process.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:17 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
So still no news on actual cause of problem? Or was it just coincidental illness of two crew at the same time?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:57 pm

"So still no news on actual cause of problem? Or was it just coincidental illness of two crew at the same time?"

British Airways response on twitter #ba286 to CTV news questions:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cvpyf_hUAAE3mK4.jpg

Some passengers reporting they will not be home until Friday.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by makfan
All inbound international flights to YVR use the same incoming customs clearance area. For the most part inbound US flights will approach from one side and other destinations from the opposite side, converging on the down escalators to the customs hall. As I described above a few of the gates can be used for either outbound US flights or non-US flights by configuring the glass walls.
And I've been traveling to YVR since half that airport wasn't even built. Departing Expo '86 we cleared customs in a large tent. Many of my trips, and encounters with CA immigration/border staff, predate the configuration you describe.

Originally Posted by makfan
Outbound flights to the US have CA airport security followed by US customs preclearance, and when you are admitted you enter what are called the E gates. If you have to leave the pre-clearance E gate area for any reason, you have to re-enter Canada and do the whole thing over again. If you aren't eligible to re-enter Canada then they have to put you in a holding area.
And if the staff is in a snarky mood, they might just decide not to let you "back into Canada" just because they don't want to. Last month we cleared CA security and US customs 2.5 hours before our flight. When my son discovered most of the restaurants in the E gates concourse had already closed (it was about 5 pm) he tried to go back out to the main part of the airport to get something to eat but was not allowed to by Canadian immigration. No reason given, just "Not allowed."

I love British Columbia, but really hate that airport.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: various
?? Just because you don't like BA being criticised don't get personal.

All points are from media reports (not made up by me). And unless BA had a full a380 crew just standing by at YVR to take over, reports are that 25 crew members left on a bus - with 400 pax, on board that would be the entire crew.

The speculation re the selfish crew is mine, but certainly seems odd that the crew is looked after but passengers on board are left to wonder what had just happened.

If I was a pax in this situation I'd be a bit miffed.

Now for the BA apologists............

Originally Posted by cuspidor
You have lost all credibility with your post.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
All points are from media reports (not made up by me). And unless BA had a full a380 crew just standing by at YVR to take over, reports are that 25 crew members left on a bus - with 400 pax, on board that would be the entire crew.
The "media reports" are talking crap then.

As CIHY has already stated, and I will state again, the passengers could NOT be left onboard the aircraft with NO crew onboard. It simply can not happen. Will never happen. DID NOT HAPPEN.

The 400 pax would have had to be removed from the aircraft before minimum required crew were allowed to leave the aircraft too. There are very strict rules about it, and unless an evacuation takes place, then the crew must remain onboard to fulfil legal requirements.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
The "media reports" are talking crap then.

As CIHY has already stated, and I will state again, the passengers could NOT be left onboard the aircraft with NO crew onboard. It simply can not happen. Will never happen. DID NOT HAPPEN.

The 400 pax would have had to be removed from the aircraft before minimum required crew were allowed to leave the aircraft too. There are very strict rules about it, and unless an evacuation takes place, then the crew must remain onboard to fulfil legal requirements.
I hear you but some of the media reports quoted passengers. You're saying it "Can't" happen because it's against the rules but reports are leaning towards it did happen, regardless. Not like it would be the first time that a rule was broken or anything.

Anyhow the whole incident is bizarre, you have to at least agree with that. I don't think I've ever heard of an incident like it. Where two hours into a long-haul flight an emergency diversion takes place because of some mystery illness and then ONLY the crew are whisked off to hospital only to be released right away. Not one being admitted! (and from accounts, likely the entire crew - 25).

Something is not right here and hopefully we hear what actually happened and that it was legit. If I was a passenger I wouldn't be feeling too good about it.

Regardless I don't think I deserve to be slandered for asking hard questions and putting out some theories. No reasonable explanation has yet been officially given.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:13 pm

Regardless I don't think I deserve to be slandered for asking hard questions and putting out some theories. No reasonable explanation has yet been officially given.
You can't be slandered as an anonymous poster on an internet bulletin board.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
You can't be slandered as an anonymous poster on an internet bulletin board.
Ha, yes true, wrong term. Ok, pick on the content of the post, not the poster. How's that.

Thanks
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:20 pm

I hear you but some of the media reports quoted passengers. You're saying it "Can't" happen because it's against the rules but reports are leaning towards it did happen, regardless. Not like it would be the first time that a rule was broken or anything.
Someone who was on board has said in this very thread that it didn't happen.

Maybe only the crew were affected because only the crew stayed in a particular hotel and ate a particular item on the menu the day before. The illness may have nothing to do with the aircraft. It makes perfect sense for them all to go to hospital to keep them all together, regardless of whether they were ill or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.