Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Swampz64
How long would the fuel dump take?
Most aircraft dump at approx 2 tonnes a minute, though this rate slows as the dump continues.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by omaralt
seriously. something is really fish here. something really doesn't make sense. i know others have slandered and assaulted () other users for saying this reeks of some type of employee strike, but really what other possible explanation can there be? i mean if it was truly an emergency they would have landed in calgary..
I'll give you another reason, professionals doing a job they have trained for for years and that you have not one iota of an idea about.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
I'll give you another reason, professionals doing a job they have trained for for years and that you have not one iota of an idea about.
It is one thick wall we are banging our heads against... Ins't it?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:30 pm

380 fuel jettison rate is 2,500 kgs a minute. The crew would have consulted multiple sources before the Captain made his final decision of where to divert.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Thank you though for caring enough to try and correct the misconceptions. Best of luck for the future to you.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:44 pm

some see conspiracies whenever they cannot understand the actions of others. But yes, its a bit like pushing water uphill.

All the very best for your future BBB
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
All the very best for your future BBB
Thanks... Don't know if I ever flew with you or not... And looks like we will never know!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Don't know if I ever flew with you or not... And looks like we will never know!
I am sure that many an FT'r will be thinking the same asking to themselves " I wonder if that is BingBongBoy, Can i help you, Sigwx, Waterhorse, BApilotinsider [insert FT CC names]

Back on topic, I have complete faith that a British Airways Captain would make the right decision when, where and how to land and that if there was any immediate danger he/she would land the plane as quickly as possible. It's their lives and safety too!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
We don't just do what we feel onboard with have SOPs which we MUST follow.

Slightly OT (and this is a genuine question and not meant to be inflammatory) but I have been on a few flights where the SCM has decided to serve food from the rear in CE when the SOP is to serve from the front. So are there some SOPs which are discretionary or are all SOPs meant to be followed but some SCMs decide not to do so? It has annoyed me in row 1 when I have waited ages to get my food!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
SOPs are safety related and are not the same as service routines.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
SOPs are safety related and are not the same as service routines.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:49 pm

Interesting to see what comes of this. Everyone involved is being incredibly secretive on the cause of the fumes, so it must be something quite untoward.

One striking thing from that ATC tape is the lack of accuracy in recording the facts from the controller
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Why do you think it's a secret, I am sure there is an investigation taking place?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes, I yhink from his accent that his first language is not English (French maybe ?), and to be fair the RT quality wasn't great. Also, when the event was downgraded, I suspect everyone relaxed a bit...

Mind you, always reassuring to hear calm British aircrew on top of a situation: I am in Malaysia at the moment, and my experience so far with MH sloppiness makes me glad I am going home on BA
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:44 pm

lol I love how defensive and upset people are getting. You guys do realize this is a public forum right? This is where we speculate and discuss crazy ideas. We aren't reporters. We simply say what we think. It just seems suspicious to me, and many others, and the fact that they haven't publicly said anything is adding further fuel to the flames. Had I been on that flight I would be very upset about being delayed for days without knowing the reason. Then owe it to those people at least to let them know why their entire journey was messed up. Imagine if you were going to spend a few days in London on vacation. You took the time off of work. Made hotel and other arrangements. Now all of a sudden you are arriving in London 2-3 days after you were supposed to. Your entire vacation has now been ruined. I would be extremely upset if I didn't at least know why. And there is no way BA doesn't already know. Why they're hiding it is suspicious

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.