Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios 'down under'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Thank you for the comprehensive reply, which I will need to re read a couple of times to make sure I fully understand !
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Avios requirements

I have been trying to get through to BA UK Avios department for some booking advice, but struggling today.
Therefore, would somebody be kind enough to tell my how many Avios I will require for the following one way flights.
Auckland- Melbourne
Melbourne- Hobart
Hobart - Sydney

Or is there a simple formula to turn Qantas points to Avios that I could use ?

Thankyou.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There is no way to turn QFF Points into Avios.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
I have been trying to get through to BA UK Avios department for some booking advice, but struggling today.
Therefore, would somebody be kind enough to tell my how many Avios I will require for the following one way flights.
Auckland- Melbourne
Melbourne- Hobart
Hobart - Sydney

Or is there a simple formula to turn Qantas points to Avios that I could use ?

Thankyou.
Nonstop flights? What's the mileage for each city pair? And are you asking about Economy Class or Business?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Moving this to the BA forum. [/mod hat]
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Have you seen this link?

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_hk
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike turnbull
Auckland- Melbourne
Melbourne- Hobart
Hobart - Sydney

Or is there a simple formula to turn Qantas points to Avios that I could use?
Those flight will be/may be operated by QF Jetconnect and QantasLink. For some strange reason BA ffp seems to have trouble with those. That does not happen with other OW airline ffps

Unofficial site to use as a guide only www.awardace.com. But does not have the BA surcharges or real taxes.
But why not look on the BA web site??

Another thread with links in post 15 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...own-under.html

For all that before booking with avios, look at the cash price. Can be low $$ and/or a poor use of avios.

Edit 2
Now thread merged have deleted duplicate content as post 15 above

Edit 1
Also by mike turnbull on the same topic (asking the same question again will not get a different answer)
Auckland to Hobart
Avios 'down under'

And
Is it possible to use Avios for Australia <--> NZ?
Is there a way to use Avios on Qantas.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 17, 2019 at 11:14 am Reason: remove duplicate content
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: BA GGL
MEL-HBA and HBA-SYD are available to price and book on the BA website; sxc linked the page for the calculator. They're 4,500 Avios and around Ł12 each in economy.

As you've gathered from your other threads, AKL-MEL cannot be priced online but can be booked by BA over the phone (subject to availability). The economy cost will be 10,000 Avios and approximately Ł31.50 (at current exchange rates).

In order to calculate a cost without phoning:
1) Find the distance, in miles, between the cities. www.gcmap.com is ideal for this. AKL-MEL = 1643 miles.
2) Find a reward zone pricing table using Google (eg. http://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/maxi...s-awards-2016/). 1643 miles falls into Zone 3. All non-BA routes are priced using "peak" dates. Therefore 10,000
3) To calculate the taxes due, find a breakdown of cash ticket prices for the route on ITA Matrix. The amount you pay for a reward booking will be everything except the "fare" component, so for this route 55.28NZD (but BA will give you the price in GBP when you phone to book).
4) There is no way on the BA website to check reward availability for this route; phone BA or use tools such as ExpertFlyer to check.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SleepySynapse
As you've gathered from your other threads, AKL-MEL cannot be priced online but can be booked by BA over the phone (subject to availability). The economy cost will be 10,000 Avios and approximately Ł31.50 (at current exchange rates).

In order to calculate a cost without phoning:
<snip>
4) There is no way on the BA website to check reward availability for this route; phone BA or use tools such as ExpertFlyer to check.
Or sign up to the QF ffp and then look for a QF award on a QF aircraft (not EK). BA should have the same availability.
Anyway you can get economy for ~NZ$200 on CI
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but does anyone know if you can book a ticket with avios with Qantas affiliate airnorth (specifically Dili to Darwin). Availability doesn't show on BA.com, but does show on Qantas. Thinking it might be similar to the Qantas flights to New Zealand that aren't bookable online but can be booked over the phone. Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by P.henrik
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but does anyone know if you can book a ticket with avios with Qantas affiliate airnorth (specifically Dili to Darwin). Availability doesn't show on BA.com, but does show on Qantas. Thinking it might be similar to the Qantas flights to New Zealand that aren't bookable online but can be booked over the phone. Thanks
Airnorth is a QF ff partner, but not a BA partner.
https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/pa...rline/airnorth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airnorth

The thread topic is about QFlink and QF NewZealand (~Jetconnect) which use the QF banner
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Airnorth is a QF ff partner, but not a BA partner.
https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/pa...rline/airnorth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airnorth

The thread topic is about QFlink and QF NewZealand (~Jetconnect) which use the QF banner
So answer is not bookable with avios?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by P.henrik
So answer is not bookable with avios?
In case nobody else who's positively tried do to this is able to give a definitive answer, personally I would expect it not to be bookable with Avios.

The reasons are that Airnorth is not a member of the QF group; it is not a oneworld affiliate (unlike both Qantaslink and Jetconnect, the subject of the other queries); and when QF sells a ticket on an Airnorth flight, the flight has an Airnorth (TL) prime code (flight number) and QF simply codeshares on the flight.

It's pretty rare to be able to book an award seat on a flight using anything other than the operating airline's prime code. The QF/TL relationship looks like it is no different: the QF website offers the award flights on the TL code.

As TL is not a BA partner, I would therefore be very surprised if BA were able to book an award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.