FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Tier point collection year end ,no flexibility?? 😠 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1797893-tier-point-collection-year-end-no-flexibility.html)

Ebiff Oct 22, 2016 7:40 am

Tier point collection year end ,no flexibility?? 😠

I always struggle to obtain my silver card on tier points as my company always have me travelling on discounted tickets. However I reached 46 flights before my collection year ended with my bronze card .I had a reservation booked for a week later to make me reach my 50 flights target to obtain silver status however when I called the executive club they said they are only able to extend my collection year end if I was near my tier point trigger not the number of flights . I even emailed the executive club and got a standard reply that didn't answer my question . Has anyone ever had there collection year extended by 2 weeks to obtain their status on the number of flights they have travelled on ? I am trying my best to gain lounge access before I need to pay for my sandwich and drink onboard 😡 X

rossmacd Oct 22, 2016 7:54 am

What they have told you is correct.

I have never seen on FT that someone has been extended to obtain the number of flights (50) required to hit Silver.

Unfortunately, you have not flown enough for the privileges of Silver.

lavajava Oct 22, 2016 8:10 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 27379049)
What they have told you is correct.

I have never seen on FT that someone has been extended to obtain the number of flights (50) required to hit Silver.

Unfortunately, you have not flown enough for the privileges of Silver.

Perhaps a bit harsh? :)

Welcome to FT, Ebiff - it certainly seems like you fly quite a bit (more than me), and sounds like all those discounted fares are too blame for not being close to the 600 TPs required. A TP Run may be in order early in your next membership year to reap the benefits of Silver for all those other flights.

gcuk Oct 22, 2016 8:18 am

For the additional benefits of silver versus bronze flying so many sectors I think I would have found 4 reasonably priced extra flights and flown them.

rossmacd Oct 22, 2016 8:24 am

Originally Posted by lavajava (Post 27379082)
Perhaps a bit harsh? :)

Entirely truthful.

As I missed it, welcome to FT Ebiff ^

agehall Oct 22, 2016 9:23 am

If you don't meet the criteria for a status level within 12 months, you still won't be able to maintain it, so what is the point? If status is important to you - fly more. May sound harsh, but it is the reality. We can't sugar coat everything all the time...

highpeaklad Oct 22, 2016 9:27 am

It's a bit harsh that they are happy to give you an extra 2 weeks to get the tier points but not the extra flights.
Within the rules definitely but still harsh.

scottishpoet Oct 22, 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by agehall (Post 27379304)
If you don't meet the criteria for a status level within 12 months, you still won't be able to maintain it, so what is the point? If status is important to you - fly more. May sound harsh, but it is the reality. We can't sugar coat everything all the time...

bit harsh
The Op is flying way more sectors than many on this board who have mych higher status

CCayley Oct 22, 2016 10:38 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 27379319)
bit harsh
The Op is flying way more sectors than many on this board who have mych higher status

How can a straightforwardly accurate comment be harsh?

I sympathise with OP but his gripe should be directed at his employer not at BA. If someone's job requires lots of flying but the employer will only cough up for the cheapest economy tickets that give the airline little or no profit, it's not obvious why that airline should say "Oh by all means eat and drink to your heart's content in our lounges whenever you fly even though you haven't achieved the requisite status". BA is not a charity.

orbitmic Oct 22, 2016 10:45 am

Welcome indeed to Flyertalk, Ebiff!

Indeed, you were unfortunately correctly informed. For what it's worth, most FFPs which have status qualification by pure segment number as an option always seem to consider it a "plan B" route that is not subject to further flexibility ("inferior" to the main route if you will). You have the same phenomenon with FB which allows rollover status miles but not status segments for instance.

jib71 Oct 22, 2016 11:51 am

Brutal crowd here.
OP - I hope your company will allow you to claim your overpriced sandwich and drink as a business expense. Better luck next time.

ThatT1Feeling Oct 22, 2016 11:59 am

The OP travels more frequently than I do so I do think it's a little tough that they don't get some flexibility - I guess that the additional cost to BA however for 46 lounge accesses per year is relatively high vs the profitability of the OP's discounted tickets, vs the few times per year that I access a lounge with my card rather than by class of service.

I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere, but I can understand why the OP thought there may be some leeway in the same way that there is for TPs..

agehall Oct 22, 2016 12:21 pm

bit harsh

Sure, but it's still a fact the OP doesn't fly enough. There are clear, published, rules. In accordance with those rules, you can either fly a ton of short haul flights on BA metal or you can do one roundtrip* to Hawaii and get gold.

Where would we be if companies would start bending the rules here and there? It is 1500TP or 50 flights, not 1495 TPs or 49 flights.

*) Well, I guess you can't do 1500TP in one trip any longer, but this is just for illustrative purposes.

orbitmic Oct 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by jib71 (Post 27379756)
Brutal crowd here.

I'm surprised by all those comments on the answers being tough - I don't think anyone on this thread has passed any judgement on whether the OP should or should not have been given flexibility (I know that the BA forum have more than occasional threads where people endlessly - and in my view not very usefully, debate who should or should not deserve what status. However, this is - thankfully - not one of them). I think people have just tried to provide the OP with a statement of facts as to what BA's current policy is, regardless of their individual opinion (if they even have one) regarding whether the flexibility allowed for TPs collection should be extended to segment collection or not.

simons1 Oct 22, 2016 1:22 pm

bit harsh

I can see it from both sides.

OP gives BA regular business, however flying a lot on cheap fares doesn't always make a high value traveller. That's why the thresholds are as they are.