Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tier point collection year end ,no flexibility?? 😠

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier point collection year end ,no flexibility?? 😠

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
OP, when does your collection year finish and where are you based? You could do a quick run to anywhere on the domestic / ROI / short-haul Europe network and get up to 50 segments if you still have time?

My understanding is that BA codeshares with Aer Lingus / Aer Lingus Regional, or Iberia, and possibly BA codeshares with Loganair/FlyBE for Scottish islands, all count towards the minimum flights. My new TP year started recently and my first segments happened to be on Aer Lingus Regional and I was surprised to see they counted as my first 2 "BA segments" of the year (as for Gold you need 4 BA metal segments in addition to the TPs)

For example, if you did London-Glasgow-islands return, that would potentially be 4 segments, though you should check the rules in detail before booking as I'm not 100% certain.

Hope it works out for you - almost 50 segments a year is a lot of flying!!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by so3003
OP, when does your collection year finish and where are you based? You could do a quick run to anywhere on the domestic / ROI / short-haul Europe network and get up to 50 segments if you still have time?

My understanding is that BA codeshares with Aer Lingus / Aer Lingus Regional, or Iberia, and possibly BA codeshares with Loganair/FlyBE for Scottish islands, all count towards the minimum flights. My new TP year started recently and my first segments happened to be on Aer Lingus Regional and I was surprised to see they counted as my first 2 "BA segments" of the year (as for Gold you need 4 BA metal segments in addition to the TPs)

For example, if you did London-Glasgow-islands return, that would potentially be 4 segments, though you should check the rules in detail before booking as I'm not 100% certain.

Hope it works out for you - almost 50 segments a year is a lot of flying!!
This doesn't help OP I think as the extension seems to be confirmed as for TPs, not eligible flights. But OP could clarify how many TP short they are - presumably less than 370!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by so3003
from the opening post I read it that when year ended (I assume 8th October) they were 4 flights short...they took the 4 flights the following week and now have been told the 2 week extension applies to TPs and not to qualifying by virtue of number of flights
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by gcuk
For the additional benefits of silver versus bronze flying so many sectors I think I would have found 4 reasonably priced extra flights and flown them.
I was wondering about whether it would be worth it to do this, but for the sake of Ł100-200 and a day or two of unnecessary travel I agree it probably would be worth it for someone who flies so much over the year, for lounge access alone. Still time?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
The OP travels more frequently than I do so I do think it's a little tough that they don't get some flexibility - I guess that the additional cost to BA however for 46 lounge accesses per year is relatively high vs the profitability of the OP's discounted tickets, vs the few times per year that I access a lounge with my card rather than by class of service.
I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere, but I can understand why the OP thought there may be some leeway in the same way that there is for TPs..
I think you nailed it though. If you fly 46 times and don't hit 600 TPs then that's a lot of benefit for 46 very low profit fares. Can understand the OP feels a little aggrieved but it makes sense from the airlines point of view I guess.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
bit harsh
The Op is flying way more sectors than many on this board who have mych higher status
On someone else's money, on heavily discounted tickets. So I don't think they can really complain too loudly.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm surprised by all those comments on the answers being tough - I don't think anyone on this thread has passed any judgement on whether the OP should or should not have been given flexibility
Being "factual," is often the defense we use when we're too embarrassed to admit that our words were willfully blunt. I'm as guilty as the next person, I guess, so I won't single out anyone.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:09 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by paul4040
On someone else's money, on heavily discounted tickets. So I don't think they can really complain too loudly.
Not really...

But he does have the right to take his business elsewhere. Right now given inflight catering is going, the nominal cost of that little piece of plastic and pre flight sandwich/cocktail might be the only thing keeping him with BA.

People seem to like to piss all over 'heavily discounted' flyers in back but high margin or not BA will make no money just selling 10-20 CE and flex tickets if there aren't 100 people in back to offset the costs of flying the plane.

Either way you cut it that's 50 tickets a year going to a competitor, potentially more, it could be 500 tickets if the OP works in a SME of 10-12 people with the same flying pattern and they take all the business elsewhere.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:44 pm

I don't really understand what the problem is here. At some point BA have obviously decided a customer flying 50 sectors is of similar value/importance to them as someone earning 600 TPs, otherwise they wouldn't have the 50 flight rule anyway. So what's the difference in providing an extension for both routes? People on the 50 flight route may be on low margin tickets, but if they believe that 50 sectors is not equivalent to 600 TPs surely they should either increase the number or scrap that route to Silver?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by agehall
Sure, but it's still a fact the OP doesn't fly enough. There are clear, published, rules. In accordance with those rules, you can either fly a ton of short haul flights on BA metal or you can do one roundtrip* to Hawaii and get gold.

Where would we be if companies would start bending the rules here and there? It is 1500TP or 50 flights, not 1495 TPs or 49 flights.

*) Well, I guess you can't do 1500TP in one trip any longer, but this is just for illustrative purposes.
They do bend the rules, if you are short on TPs they'll give a 2 week extension
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
If I was flying that much I'd fit in a 4 flight in a day itinerary before the year end off my own back for sure.

50 visits to the lounge will save you plenty during the year!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jib71
Being "factual," is often the defense we use when we're too embarrassed to admit that our words were willfully blunt. I'm as guilty as the next person, I guess, so I won't single out anyone.
Well, do feel free to single out, but no, I literally meant to be factual, both in my reference to BA's policy and that of other airlines. So if, as you seem to suggest, you feel that my words were too blunt (and willfully, certainly not), you'll need to add as extra fault of mine that I am clearly blatantly unaware of that too.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by smokie36
If I was flying that much I'd fit in a 4 flight in a day itinerary before the year end off my own back for sure.
I guess OP would have done that too if he'd known, but it sounds like he either didn't think about it in time, or believed the 2-week TP extension appiled to sector qualification too, so thought it could wait.

Either way it sounds like he's out of luck, unfortunately.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
If start of OPS BAEC year, a 600TP run with 4 BA flights would give BA Silver with lounge access for vrtually 2 full years.

Well worth an effort if OP expects another 30+ flightsb this next year, and comfortably doable
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
Brutal crowd here.
What would a less "brutal" crowd have done? Advise the OP to keep pestering BAEC for an exception? Crowdsource someone to hack BAEC to award the OP silver status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.