Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KUL tips & tricks ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by BA6501
A bit OT I appreciate, but in which part of KL would you recommend one to stay for a quick city trip (2 nights, one evening one full day)?
I stayed at Hilton by Sentral station recently for 2 nights - but in hindsight I should probably have gone elsewhere. It did make some sense for me at the time though
- flew Friday night after work so KUL was really a "decompression" stop
- I was thinking of attending the F1 race when booking, so proximity to station helped (I didn't go in the end)
- minimised hassle / need for taxi from airport
- executive lounge access

Main downside was I didn't feel there was anywhere close by I could wander to easily. But that might also be a feature of KUL
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
A bit OT I appreciate, but in which part of KL would you recommend one to stay for a quick city trip (2 nights, one evening one full day)?
Depends on what you want to do. Star Hill (Bukit Bintang) or the Petronas Twin Towers (KLCC) area is usually a great starting point. Star Hill is mainly for shopping with a few shopping centers around and it's close to (very touristy) Jalan Alor hawker center.

KL Sentral (the train station where the KLIA Express drops you) is a misnomer. It's a little out of the city center and you'd have to take the LRT (subway/metro) to most places, but it's home to some great SPG properties - Aloft, LM, and St. Regis are all close by.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It's really to do the basic sightseeing - I guess I'll head towards KLCC area. Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
If first time in KL go for somewhere around Petronas towers. The Double tree is great value and good views from lounge but many a good hotel around there. I personally stay at Hilton Sentral as like the hotel and location is good for me. Love the ease of access to airport also. Great park across the freeway for walking/running also. A retreat from the commotion of KL.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Is it particularly difficult to get from the Petronas towers area to KUL via Sentral? That might sway it into Sentral area's favour...
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
I liked the shangri la hotel at about $100 a night.. Near to the towers, shopping , "bar street" and some great local resturants..

Loved KL & going back next year in Febuary for three days after 10 days in Langkawi.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:25 pm

You could try the shangri la in the administrative capital Putrajaya
Its a lovely compact hotel and there are a couple of free tours around the city available and some reasonable shopping
It also has the benefit of being closer to the airport than KL
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:32 pm

The Shangri La in Putrajaya is very nice hotel and Putrajaya, as the administrative capital, is interesting to take a quick tour. But it's so easy and almost as quick to get into KL with much more to see and do. Personally i would suggest to stay around Star Hill/Pavillion end of Bukit Bintang. Easy walk to Petronas Twin Towers/KLCC.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Is it particularly difficult to get from the Petronas towers area to KUL via Sentral? That might sway it into Sentral area's favour...
It's not, but it depends on where in the Petronas towers area you want to stay. The KLIA Express drops you off at KL Sentral and fyou'd need to change to the Putra LRT line to KLCC / Ampang Park station from KL Sentral. If you are traveling outside peak hours, it might just be easier to take Grab Car (look under "Grab" app) or Uber from KUL.

Having that said, if you are staying at KL Sentral, you can easily get to the Twin Towers using the LRT.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Did a 24hr stop recently
Aloft Sentral was a cool hotel right next to Sentral Station
Youare right though getting across KL to Petronas Towers area is a nightmare. I came in from my flight and had a dinner reservationat at the KLCC and it took forever to get there on a Friday night
For sight seeing the next day ; I dint think it mattered where you were staying. Everything is pread out. Puterajaya is a but of a white elephant outside the city which isnt really KL.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Any updates on how crazy/amazing customs queues are in the morning?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I got the BA flight to KUL a couple of months ago, I can't vouch for the morning as I landed about 4pm mid-week, I was travelling F so was able to use the Premier Lanes for immigration (which took 5 mins), but the normal queue looked to be about 20 mins long max.

As a side note, the traffic in KUL is as bad as ever. On the plus side, I found the Malaysia Airlines Golden lounge in the Satellite terminal to be excellent and well exceeded my expectations.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:54 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I find KUL a very easy airport to use. The fast track immigration for J and F is a breeze. If I am on a short stop over the Sama Sama Hotel in the airport is very good, and longer I go for the Hilton at Sentral. Just one word of caution pick pocketing and bag snatching is rife especially around the stations. Someone tried to grab my man bag let week but a 6’6” Yorkshireman doesn’t give up his brass that easily ��. Also Uber cabs are cheap in KL
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:00 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by email2markt
I got the BA flight to KUL a couple of months ago, I can't vouch for the morning as I landed about 4pm mid-week, I was travelling F so was able to use the Premier Lanes for immigration (which took 5 mins), but the normal queue looked to be about 20 mins long max.

As a side note, the traffic in KUL is as bad as ever. On the plus side, I found the Malaysia Airlines Golden lounge in the Satellite terminal to be excellent and well exceeded my expectations.
I echo that on the Golden Lounge in the satellite. I flew from SIN - ICN recently connecting at KUL and used teh satellite terminal on the way out. Wished I had used it on the way back as the domestic lounge in the main terminal where the SIN flights take off from wasn't a patch on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.