Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes and Fees on 2 x 1 way vs 1 rtn

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various
Taxes and Fees on 2 x 1 way vs 1 rtn

So am I missing something here? Trying to book an open jaw from MIA-LHR-SFO, using a GUF. I'm a US-based Au EC member

Naturally this means having to call to ask for the booking to be made. Do my research first online for availability.

Find the seats doing one-way searches, taxes and fees for outbound show up as ~$430. Taxes and fees for return show up as ~$465. So just under $900.

If I want to book it as a return on one booking, taxes and fees are quoted at $1120. So $220 more than booking as two one ways.

Told that they can book it as two one ways to get to <$900 in taxes, but it will be more Avios as the GUF2 can only be used on one booking (so just one of the one ways). I asked for them to escalate, and they have to send it off to the fares dept to look into it and quoted 72 hour turnaround. Great, as I have other sectors that I need to book.

Did I miss the memo here about BA taking the piss even more on taxes and fees, my emphasis as we all know that the large component here is fuel surcharge (YQ). Think it is time to switch carriers again.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by RichardMannion
So am I missing something here? Trying to book an open jaw from MIA-LHR-SFO, using a GUF. I'm a US-based Au EC member

Naturally this means having to call to ask for the booking to be made. Do my research first online for availability.

Find the seats doing one-way searches, taxes and fees for outbound show up as ~$430. Taxes and fees for return show up as ~$465. So just under $900.

If I want to book it as a return on one booking, taxes and fees are quoted at $1120. So $220 more than booking as two one ways.

Told that they can book it as two one ways to get to <$900 in taxes, but it will be more Avios as the GUF2 can only be used on one booking (so just one of the one ways). I asked for them to escalate, and they have to send it off to the fares dept to look into it and quoted 72 hour turnaround. Great, as I have other sectors that I need to book.

Did I miss the memo here about BA taking the piss even more on taxes and fees, my emphasis as we all know that the large component here is fuel surcharge (YQ). Think it is time to switch carriers again.
BA charges higher fuel surcharges for the US. If you book a return ticket departing the US you will pay US fuel surcharges both directions. If you book two one way tickets you will pay US fuel surcharges MIA-LHR and UK fuel surcharges LHR-SFO. See any of the following threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...xes-right.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d-trip-us.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...han-ex-uk.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...vs-return.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d-flights.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nce-price.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...r-mia-lhr.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rn-ticket.html
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
So, in answer to your questions, yes, you did miss the memo because yes, BA is quite definitely taking the piss. Again.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Why would it be more avios as two one ways? That makes no sense.

In terms of TFC, and specifically carrier surcharge it is not calculated as the sum of two one way fares.

For MIA-LHR in J per person:
BA YQ surcharge (YQ) $414.00
US International Departure Tax (US) $17.80
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.60
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
----------------------------------------------
Total TFC is $441.90

For LHR-SFO in J per person:
United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty Apd (GB) $178.10
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $3.96
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) $50.80
BA YQ surcharge (YQ) $176.30
US International Arrival Tax (US) $17.80
Total TFC is $439.46

For MIA-LHR-SFO in J per person:
BA YQ surcharge (YQ) $828.00
US International Departure Tax (US) $17.80
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $5.60
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty Apd (GB) $178.10
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $3.96
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) $50.80
US International Arrival Tax (US) $17.80
Total TFC is $1,119.06

Based on the above your saving booking as two one ways is $237.70 per person. You would lose part of the benefit of the GUF since it would only apply to one of the one way bookings. It would be the same in terms of avios though.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Sounds like the cash figures you have been quoted are correct.

However can I check what you were trying to do?

If you are doing book J GUF to F as a return you would pay the J avios for MIA-LHR + J avios for LHR-SFO.

When doing as two one ways were you looking at F avios for MIA-LHR + J avios for LHR-SFO & GUF to go to F? That would be more expensive in terms of avios than the return.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to book Club World as there is no F availability for redemption (quelle surprise).

Thanks for the answers, I think that is the final nail in the coffin as it were to bothering to renew Gold anymore. It's just seriously taking the piss now - charge customers outside of the home country of the airline (where normally you want to fight for customers) more fuel surcharges?

So my GUF 2 is pretty much of zero use here then as it will only save me on one of the sectors (pay W pricing instead of J).
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I'm trying to book Club World as there is no F availability for redemption (quelle surprise).

Thanks for the answers, I think that is the final nail in the coffin as it were to bothering to renew Gold anymore. It's just seriously taking the piss now - charge customers outside of the home country of the airline (where normally you want to fight for customers) more fuel surcharges?

So my GUF 2 is pretty much of zero use here then as it will only save me on one of the sectors (pay W pricing instead of J).
BA has had higher fuel surcharges for the US for years. As you seem to be US based I'm surprised you haven't run into this before. If I'm not using a 241 voucher, I'm always looking to book two one ways (not always possible or cost effective on cash tickets).
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

No - never noticed it before. I have now, and somewhat pissed off as that means I've been overpaying several hundred dollars at a time for the multiple Avios bookings I've been doing.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable because all the other carriers here in the US charge such heavy YQ - oh hold on.

Roll on VS being on the SEA-LHR route from March, totally done with BA now.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:35 pm

VS do exactly the same thing.

VS J class YQ LON-SEA return: $352
VS J class YQ SEA-LON return: $904
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
VS do exactly the same thing.

VS J class YQ LON-SEA return: $352
VS J class YQ SEA-LON return: $904
Shhhh! Don't go spoiling it with facts.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
In fact, all European airlines I have looked at charge more YQ originating North America. They throw Avios/Miles/Points at you with credit card schemes but claw it back at the other end.

Incidently though, BA do not charge more because it is not their home market, since YQ from mainland Europe is lower than from the UK. So, you may be better off getting your return redemption from mainland Europe.

The best thing here is to beat them at their own game. Unless you have a 2-4-1 to redeem, book a return from the UK or Europe with a return date far in the future then you can change when you know firm dates. a GUF could apply just as much to that return booking. There is a small change fee but it's much less than the YQ piss take.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:03 am

I had the same thing last week

TPA-LON-TPA all in club would have cost me $1100+

ATL-LON in First
and LON-TPA in Club as two bookings cost me $441 + $398 ...

I could have got TPA-LON in Club for same $ but a TPA-ATL was only $120 so I get first and a later night flight..win win
Old Nov 18, 2016, 2:07 pm

Not only, as noted above, does VS do the same thing you might want to check out their post-1/15/17 award "prices" from US west coast before you consider the jump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.