Wiki Posts
Search

UK To Australia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:01 am
Original Poster

UK To Australia

Hi Guys,

I have been saving Avios for 5 years with a plan of taking my wife to Australia in business class. I have managed to collect two Amex 2-4-1 vouchers and c250,000 miles.

I have not redeemed any airmiles before but have read the Flyertalk guide and the Avios University guide at Head for Points. We would like to fly to Sydney or Melbourne next year before the first 2-4-1 voucher expires on 18 August. The other complicating factor is that we now have a daughter who turns 2 on 4 September who will be coming along.

I know I am not starting with the easiest of redemptions and from what I have read I will need to split each leg into 2 to get some availability. If anyone can offer any other tips it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Hi Rob and welcome to Flyertalk. I expect an official welcome will be along shortly

As you've probably read Australia is probably the toughest for redeeming points - it's extremely popular and numerous threads come up about it.

The general advice is that as there is such high demand you will not see availability for both outbound and return together. You are best using the 2-4-1 to book Outbound flights LHR-SYD (ideally as quickly as possible) and then add in the return leg later. At the present moment I expect that availability is being taken each night as flights are loaded into the system (the booking horizon)

You can change dates around later (if other dates are available) for a fee.

You should also seriously consider other options especially ex-EU. You will be paying circa Ł600 each in taxes alone which could be used for a revenue ticket from somewhere like Oslo (circa Ł2400) or in one of the Qatar sales.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Hi Rob and welcome to Flyertalk. I expect an official welcome will be along shortly
And here it comes.....drum roll............!

Welcome onboard robsmith11 and as you can see a quick and helpful reply already.

BA don't fly to MEL and therefore you'll have to factor that in re the 241. After a very long flight it's worth considering a stop in SYD especialy travelling with a young one, which I have done many years ago.

Checking at T-355 days is really required and they may be gone now I suspect. It's always worth looking as well for the 2 seperate flights (BA11 and BA15) if there is no BA15 all the way there.

If you see them, you do this by searching for a 'dummy reward booking', I would advise booking them ASAP and you can use this to see which BA office is open. The Japan one gets good reviews I read on here. DOn't just check once either is my advice, you have to check repeatedly. Usually at 0100 GMT and sometimes in the afternoon between 1400-1500 as well, but not so much so my source tells me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ntly-open.html

It does take a bit of flexibility too re dates/cabins and it's not unusual to book CW and F opens later.

Anyhow, I'm no expert in 241's so I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable but I am sure you'll get plenty of answers/links etc on what is a well discussed subject.

Last edited by PETER01; Oct 12, 2016 at 9:41 am
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by David_Doyle

You should also seriously consider other options especially ex-EU. You will be paying circa Ł600 each in taxes alone which could be used for a revenue ticket from somewhere like Oslo (circa Ł2400) or in one of the Qatar sales.
And look immediately at the current ZRH-ADL offer on QR as well. It is showing at € 1.100 for dates in period November-January right now!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:40 am

Hi Rob and welcome to Flyertalk.
The route you have chosen is one of the most difficult to get redemptions on and I note that you require 3 seats in Business to fly to Syd or Mel. As others have said BA only flies to Sydney so if you wish to use the 2-4-1 then you would have to fly on BA15 to Syd and BA16 back.
Unfortunately, seats are snapped up pretty quickly and I think you might have left it too late already if you want to fly out before 18 August next year as the seats are released at T-355 and go almost immediately.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
And look immediately at the current ZRH-ADL offer on QR as well. It is showing at € 1.100 for dates in period November-January right now!
AIUI the OP is looking to travel in August though, triggering the 241 before it expires.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Up to the OP, but if he went for the current QR deal he would 1) get to Oz for a fantastic J price 2) not have to worry about his daughter being over two if he were to wait until August and 3) be able to use his 241s later for something else.

He did say "next year" and that he has been saving Avios for five years to do the trip, so I didn't see August as a given for the travel date (other than to protect the 241-triggering).

Obviously all up to the OP...
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Would earn him a few more avios too (30K pp?). Probably pay that fare in the taxes for the 2 for 1s too. Then use the Avios for positioning flights....

It seems a no brainer if they can do it via the QR sale...
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Up to the OP, but if he went for the current QR deal he would 1) get to Oz for a fantastic J price 2) not have to worry about his daughter being over two if he were to wait until August and 3) be able to use his 241s later for something else.

He did say "next year" and that he has been saving Avios for five years to do the trip, so I didn't see August as a given for the travel date (other than to protect the 241-triggering).

Obviously all up to the OP...
Agree, this actually seems like a terrible use of 250K Avios and a 2-4-1.

Between the value of the Avios, 2-4-1, and YQ, buying QR J (or similar) would seem to be both better, nevermind the fact of a better J product.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by sts603
Agree, this actually seems like a terrible use of 250K Avios and a 2-4-1.

Between the value of the Avios, 2-4-1, and YQ, buying QR J (or similar) would seem to be both better, nevermind the fact of a better J product.
+1

Use cash and go for a better product. Save the 2-4-1 for something else where there is easier availability.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Is this for J? I'm not seeing any fare close to this on ITA Matrix?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETER01
BA don't fly to MEL and therefore you'll have to factor that in re the 241.
And look immediately at the current ZRH-ADL offer on QR as well
MEL-SYD, ADL-SYD or ADL-MEL is easy and not that expensive if booked in economy.

Getting 3 UK - Aust return business awards seats is a very hard ask. Good luck

Other Australia threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...australia.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...mutations.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-routing.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ard-seats.html
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cabbage
Is this for J? I'm not seeing any fare close to this on ITA Matrix?
It was still bookable about 45 minutes ago. See here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...-r-fare-2.html
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PETER01
It was still bookable about 45 minutes ago. See here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...-r-fare-2.html
Thanks - Wow! Might be a mis-fare but QR are up to some strange things at the moment...

Just goes to show the BA Amex 241 is starting to look redundant on long haul Eastbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.