Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex-LON Cheapest & Quickest route to 4-flight BAEC Qualification

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

The title says it all. I will be Blue from early next year but I have enough flying booked with AA to get me to Silver. I do, however, need the 4 BA metal flights, so would like your suggestions for the most efficient way to do this in Jan - Feb please.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
You can find day returns to MAD and BIO on BA codeshares for £50-£80. Another option is the cheap 'BAwayday' (are they still called that?) fares that are released and booked in G class

You can find details here:
Weekend day trip fares
Introducing BAwayday – a new, super cheap, last minute flight ticket!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Currently that will be LHR-LUX, £59 return, via T3, for some reason no-one wants to go there. There are currently 2 flights a day, so you could do it in day since it is back to back-able.

More usually it's LGW-JER. Cheapest is £68 return. There are a series of other LGW flights which are within a few pounds of this too, BOD, AMS, even places like Porto in the £70 range. Given it is out of season, an evening in OPO would be both interesting and cost-effective, though OPO is also back-to-backable, as is AMS and indeed BOD at a pinch.

BA.com has a page which assists you to consider your options, namely Find Our Cheapest Fares, off the Flights and Holidays tab.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks both.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Currently that will be LHR-LUX, £59 return, via T3, for some reason no-one wants to go there.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
IB flights also count, so anything connecting in Madrid to another destination in Spain will also get you to 4 (return obviously) without having to go back and forth twice from London.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by craigthemif
IB flights also count, so anything connecting in Madrid to another destination in Spain will also get you to 4 (return obviously) without having to go back and forth twice from London.
Do they need to be booked on BA codes or will IB codes count too?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
IB codes are fine, so long as they are not IB codeshares. Whereas BA codeshares are OK (which means my earlier hint about LUX being the cheapest may be superseded by the cheaper Vueling flights, if booked as a BA codeshare). There are some exceptions to this, I don't think IB Express is OK, but IB Express typically sells under IB codes as well, which I believe is OK. The other IB operators are generally OK, but it's probably best to check here to be sure.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I think that IB codes are fine.

IIRC, all of the following count (so long as the flight itself earns something in BAEC):-
  • BA code ops anyone
  • Anyone's code ops BA
  • IB code ops IB
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Pretty sure this can now include Iberia marketed and operated flights, so you could also look at a LON-MAD-XXX option with them, even if there's no BA flight code. Cost-wise it's about the same as 2 cheap return BA flights, but you can get to some quite nice places for a night or two, and some of them can be made to break overnight in Madrid at no charge.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by LionRed
Actually, I flew Finnair at the weekend in J (yes, TP running), and got to use the Cathay Lounge. A delight. Much better than the Galleries at T5.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by bernardh
The title says it all. I will be Blue from early next year but I have enough flying booked with AA to get me to Silver. I do, however, need the 4 BA metal flights, so would like your suggestions for the most efficient way to do this in Jan - Feb please.
No way to book any of your AA flights under a BA flight number and avoid the metal run all together..?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cmdsea
No way to book any of your AA flights under a BA flight number and avoid the metal run all together..?
That is only possible when a BA flight is also in the iternary.

Purely flying on AA will not be possible to book as a BAxxxx flight.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernardh
You are replying to a post from 2016
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:54 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I think we may, by now, conclude that the OP has their answer and in the intervening couple of years has probably managed to pick up the required flights and is now enjoying the veritable fruits of status.

We'll therefore close the thread here to avoid what could eventually become misleading outdated information rising to the top of the forum.

/mod
kosy91 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.