Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flying First (Gold Member) - Can someone join me for dinner

Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm an Exec Club Gold Member. I'm flying First to Delhi in a few weeks. COuldn't face another business trip on my own so have booked my sister a seat to come with me in WT (nothing left in WT+ or Club).

What are the chances that the crew might let her come up front to join me for lunch? Anyone have any experience of asking for something similar?

Many thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
I think anecdotal evidence is that it is usually OK, but at discretion of the staff

Maybe not for a meal, but usually for a drink
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For a drink yes (assuming it isn't a 787-9). For a meal no chance.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yes usually for a drink is okay, but not for dinner.

If its the 787 then there is no buddy seat in F so no visitors at all!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:13 am

Perhaps swap? you know you've been wanting to try WT - especially on those lovely 787's. I have heard reports of carnage down the back on some India routes, it could be an enlightening experience
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Ha! Have been tempted to swop...! See how I feel...
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:18 am
Original Poster

777 on the way out and 787 on the way back. Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WellesleyUK
777 on the way out and 787 on the way back. Thanks.
Regardless of how other F passengers and F crew might feel about this, from a practical perspective BA cater F pretty tightly and the crew may be concerned there may not be sufficient food to go around.

Not to mention that the crew will probably feel it is extra work for them having an additional person to serve.

I don't like your chances, on BA or on any airline. Try this on SQ and you will be sent packing.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
They should not let anyone who is not in F be eating F food, that's a ridiculous cannibalisation of the premium proposition.

I rather like the 787 F where there's simply no facility to have people from other cabins come in.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
During meal, I believe, is a definite no-no (I recall someone mentioned on this forum that a meal from another cabin cannot be served either although my memory is not that reliable).

However, having someone for a drink during a quiet time and not disturbing anyone and for a limited period is allowed at crew discretion, I believe.

Originally Posted by paul4040
They should not let anyone who is not in F be eating F food, that's a ridiculous cannibalisation of the premium proposition.
Not only that, they offer 'dine any time'. I think even I'd be a bit miffed if I decide to eat later and don't reserve any specific dishes and when it comes to eat it turns out that what I decide to have has been given away to someone who wasn't in F.

(I'm generally relaxed enough on long haul to offer crew members an option to give my first choice to someone else who wants it and go for my 2nd choice, citing indecision on my side so they don't feel obliged.)

Of course I can reserve the meal in advance but it shouldn't really be necessary to do that for the sake of 'protecting' it from someone not in F when I may well want to decide on what to eat later on.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Absolutely not allowed but it will be ok for her to join you for a drink at the crew's discretion.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Perhaps the crew will allow you to join her in WT for lunch !
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
Perhaps the crew will allow you to join her in WT for lunch !
On a DL flight I was on (LHR-JFK) the CC did suggest that to a woman who was angling to get her friend into J (it was about 1/2 full).

She declined the offer!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.