Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

JFK domestic to international transfer time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hi, I know this has probably been asked many times before but I can't find a definitive answer. We're flying from CLT to JFK on Sunday afternoon (landing at 6pm) and transferring onto BA172 back to LHR (hand luggage only). How long does it take to get from terminal 8 to 7 and do we need to re-clear security again? We'be done the trip a few times before but I can't for the life of me remember. Many thanks in advance
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:17 pm

15-20 mins from landing via the Airtrain.

Yes you have to re - clear security which at that time might be busy.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
You will need to re-clear security between terminals.

Expert Flyer suggests the MCT is 1h45m but as you're HBO you can expect it to be less - it may even out as scillyisles rightly says it's a busy period at Security.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for the speedy replies. I forgot to mention that we're both GCH and flying CW (not that that matters I realise). Will that speed up the process at all?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by scmd76
Thanks for the speedy replies. I forgot to mention that we're both GCH and flying CW (not that that matters I realise). Will that speed up the process at all?
Depends on the state of the premium security line which is single file - if it is busy which it might be at that time then you will probably be better using the normal security lines.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
If you are on one PNR and the flight is running late there might be an agent waiting for you from One World wth an Orange Express Connection wallet to enable you to jump the queue. We had this arriving from London going to Cancun last Sunday admittedly needing immigration clearance but a godsend at security.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The absolute minimum for doing this transfer is about 45 minutes, 20 minutes for the transfer, 5 minutes for security (if you are lucky) plus the potential gate closing time of 20 minutes, and this won't be an enjoyable exerience. If you aren't fully mobile or you have luggage to check in then it stretches upwards to around 1 hour 25 minutes. The biggest thing you can do to improve transfer times is rravelling HBO, followed by ensuring you get a boarding pass for the T7 flight, followed by being in First (and given a queue jump at security). LCY also gate closes a bit later than the other flights, 10 minutes unless everyone is already boarded.

If in CLT you get delays, get the AA agents in the lounge to protect you via an AA flight from T8, which will be an easy transfer and involves no security check.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If in CLT you get delays, get the AA agents in the lounge to protect you via an AA flight from T8, which will be an easy transfer and involves no security check.
For an AA T8-T8 domestic-international transfer, how long do you think it takes? Is it a case of being simply deposited into a terminal where you can walk a few gates over to your next flight without any check? Sorry, haven't been to JFK!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:27 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by scmd76
Hi, I know this has probably been asked many times before but I can't find a definitive answer. We're flying from CLT to JFK on Sunday afternoon (landing at 6pm) and transferring onto BA172 back to LHR (hand luggage only). How long does it take to get from terminal 8 to 7 and do we need to re-clear security again? We'be done the trip a few times before but I can't for the life of me remember. Many thanks in advance
Perhaps you flew US Airways from CLT in the past who used the BA Terminal at JFK

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 30, 2016 at 12:49 am Reason: Merging quote with response
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jdtravels
For an AA T8-T8 domestic-international transfer, how long do you think it takes? Is it a case of being simply deposited into a terminal where you can walk a few gates over to your next flight without any check? Sorry, haven't been to JFK!
Yes it is. Get off plane, walk to next gate, get on next plane. Allow 10 minutes though since you may well get off at the satellite building and have to walk to the main building for the gate to the LHR flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.