Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Advance fare of £250 quoted for a one way Athens to LHR, hand luggage only and BoB. British Budget Airways.
what's the price of the alternatives? I guess unless you are forced to book BA you can just fly with them if they are cheaper?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Advance fare of £250 quoted for a one way Athens to LHR, hand luggage only and BoB. British Budget Airways.
Try Aegean, they will give you a hot meal!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'd regard that as £258 fare including sandwich, tea and Kitkat. Or 1080 Avios if you prefer. If the fare on Aegean is £257 you can play "market forces" too.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
I am one of these people who refuses to use BoB, even if dying for a snack or some Percy Pigs.

How BA can charge GBP 800 for a return flight LHR - LIN and not even offer water and sandwich whilst you have airlines who offer light snack and drink free of charge at a fraction of the price is beyond me - this being the reason I refuse to engage in the opportunistic money grabbing scheme introduced on BA.
kaizenflying likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, EK Gold.
I really like the BOB service. To be honest, the free food they used to dish out wasn't food I would EVER pay for, so why would I eat it even if it's free?
I often buy M+S food outside of flying so this seemed like a perfect arrangement to me. I always pay in Avios and it takes no time at all. It's great!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by tenrohle
I really like the BOB service. To be honest, the free food they used to dish out wasn't food I would EVER pay for, so why would I eat it even if it's free?
I often buy M+S food outside of flying so this seemed like a perfect arrangement to me. I always pay in Avios and it takes no time at all. It's great!

The free food on longer routes such as ATH and LCA was good. There is no equivalent to that with BoB. And drinks were complementary.

While disembarking from a LHR-CDG flight last week, I heard a group of French tourists saying very loud „Quelle bande de radins dans cette compagnie. Même pas un café ou un jus d‘oroange“ to which everyone laughed. It translates to „What a bunch of stingy people in this airline. Not even a coffee or orange juice. It shows that people have higher expectations from BA.

If you want to talk about quality food for purchase, try OS Do&Co. that‘s real food, not the bread offering of M&S. Tried the OS hot breakfast last week. It was amazing and good value for money (only €15).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
@BA6948 - that looks like quite some service. Hope you enjoyed it, started feeling peckish just looking at it
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by ens100
@BA6948 - that looks like quite some service. Hope you enjoyed it, started feeling peckish just looking at it
to be honest, it was the best breakfast ever in a plane (way better than BA‘s Club full English):
- scrambled eggs (fluffy) with roasted potatoes, fried tomates, mushrooms and bacon (cooked in a metal pot)
- home made muesli
- fresh fruits
- fresh orange juice
- 2 warm breads and a croissant
- butter, margarine and jam
recommend it if anyone flies OS in Economy!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by BA6948
If you want to talk about quality food for purchase, try OS Do&Co. that‘s real food, not the bread offering of M&S. Tried the OS hot breakfast last week. It was amazing and good value for money (only €15).
Those Do&Co meals are way better than Austrian now serve in Business where food has now taken a nose dive, at one time this was the Business class standard, it's just a pity they don't let C class order them too!
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Well it seems that LH will be moving to BOB too from March 2021.

So I think it’s fair to say this is the way forward, even on premium airlines, and I’m sure BA will be looking to bring BOB back as soon as it can.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by BAeuro

So I think it’s fair to say this is the way forward, even on premium airlines, and I’m sure BA will be looking to bring BOB back as soon as it can.
I haven't seen anything anywhere about LH going BOB. Mind sharing the source?

If it really is the case I am surprised LH is going this route, given that LH is the full-service brand, LX is the premium brand and Eurowings is the LCC.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 7:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

and the information is from LH apparently

Old Nov 16, 2020, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA

I think this is a reasonable offering for most European sectors that LH group serve. I would applaud BA if they returned to handing out packets of lemon thins along with a bottle of Harrogate water for a comparable ET service (under normal circumstances) and the ability to buy anything else more substantial from BoB.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 17, 2020 at 1:05 am
Old Nov 17, 2020, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Official announcement from Frankfurt via Google Translate:

"Larger selection on board: quality and freshness with regional reference for food and drinks

From spring 2021, Lufthansa, SWISS and Austrian Airlines will be offering selected food and drinks for sale in Economy Class on short and medium-haul flights. Lufthansa, SWISS and Austrian Airlines will be offering their customers a new offer in Economy Class in the future. From spring 2021, passengers on short and medium-haul routes will be able to choose from a wide, high-quality range of food and drinks according to their needs and buy them on board.

With the new range, high quality standards are implemented, from selection to preparation and presentation. With the new concept, the airlines are also investing more heavily in sustainability by choosing environmentally friendly products and packaging and by wasting less food thanks to more precise production.

“Our previous range of snacks in Economy Class often does not meet the expectations of our guests,” explains Christina Foerster, Executive Vice President Lufthansa Group Customer, IT & Corporate Responsibility. “The new offer was developed on the basis of our customer feedback. With the high quality offer, which is subject to a fee, our passengers will be able to decide individually what they want to eat and drink on their trip. "

The range of food and drinks will be available at the individual airlines in different forms, some with regional references. The focus is on fresh products and a selection of snacks. At Lufthansa and SWISS, a free water bottle is also given. The currently free standard snack will no longer be served in the future.

The new offer will be introduced in stages in spring 2021: Austrian Airlines begins, SWISS and Lufthansa will follow. In the coming months, the airlines will present their respective product ranges separately."
Old Nov 17, 2020, 3:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Talking

Originally Posted by BAeuro

BA leading the way again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.